Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Atlanta United, Big Club

edited December 2018 in General Charlton
Atlanta United is in the MLS final. This is their second season of existence.

This year they averaged 53,100 per home match, the 17th highest average attendance in the world this year, just ahead of AC Milan and just behind Liverpool. 71,800 attended their last playoff match.

They have quickly become the most popular sports team in the city in many ways.

Season tickets for the two-year old club run $385 for the cheapest and $4000 per season for the best seats. I don't know if the final will be broadcast in England, but if it is and you have a chance to watch, it might be a fun one. They are showing what can be done for football in the US.

Comments

• Generating that turn out for a new club, Is it fair to assume mate that football / soccer has taken off to such an extent in US that you can’t see it fading away again?
  • edited December 2018

Generating that turn out for a new club, Is it fair to assume mate that football / soccer has taken off to such an extent in US that you can’t see it fading away again?

Not like the 1970s, no. But because the only truly great players the MLS gets are old players from Europe, I do see a limit on how far the MLS can go. I think our best clubs would be all in the relegation zone in The PL and most of them are League One or at best, Championship quality. But the fact we get some crazy attendances for some clubs at that quality level show what America's potential is here.

What may help it over the next 10-15 years to me is that I believe the NFL is on its way to oblivion. I know of no mother who allows their young boys to play American Football now due to CTE. So I see no real future there. Something will take its place and the MLS has a good shot at it. Is gonna be a multi-generational project.
  • Atlanta United is in the MLS final. This is their second season of existence.

This year they averaged 53,100 per home match, the 17th highest average attendance in the world this year, just ahead of AC Milan and just behind Liverpool. 71,800 attended their last playoff match.

They have quickly become the most popular sports team in the city in many ways.

Season tickets for the two-year old club run $385 for the cheapest and $4000 per season for the best seats. I don't know if the final will be broadcast in England, but if it is and you have a chance to watch, it might be a fun one. They are showing what can be done for football in the US.

Dont skysports have MLS coverage if they do they should showing the final
  • MLS final on Sky Sports Football
    Sunday 9th 1am
  • Their stadium is unreal
  • Generating that turn out for a new club, Is it fair to assume mate that football / soccer has taken off to such an extent in US that you can’t see it fading away again?

Not like the 1970s, no. But because the only truly great players the MLS gets are old players from Europe, I do see a limit on how far the MLS can go. I think our best clubs would be all in the relegation zone in The PL and most of them are League One or at best, Championship quality. But the fact we get some crazy attendances for some clubs at that quality level show what America's potential is here.

What may help it over the next 10-15 years to me is that I believe the NFL is on its way to oblivion. I know of no mother who allows their young boys to play American Football now due to CTE. So I see no real future there. Something will take its place and the MLS has a good shot at it. Is gonna be a multi-generational project.
    Mate - I'm not being funny here, but I think you're deluded. Most MLS games I've seen in the past couple of years would suggest a level of about upper 1st - upper 2nd division. I suspect that the likes of Burnley and Watford would annihilate most MLS teams. The mere fact that Bradley Wright-Phillips (Charlton tinted glasses aside) can bang in the amount of goals he has there should cause you to give your head a wobble. Granted - it's definitely not a shit league like Qatar or China, but it ain't lower half of the prem either :lol:

Mate - I'm not being funny here, but I think you're deluded. Most MLS games I've seen in the past couple of years would suggest a level of about upper 1st - upper 2nd division. I suspect that the likes of Burnley and Watford would annihilate most MLS teams. The mere fact that Bradley Wright-Phillips (Charlton tinted glasses aside) can bang in the amount of goals he has there should cause you to give your head a wobble. Granted - it's definitely not a shit league like Qatar or China, but it ain't lower half of the prem either :lol:
    Am i missing something here, what is he deluded about? Napa said top MLS sides would be in the relegation zone of the premier league and most are championship or league one level. That seems pretty fair to me.
    It's the 'top sides' bit. Just cos they've got 50,000 crowds doesn't mean they're at that level. The league just isn't good enough to say that they're premier league material - at best it's a few low level championship sides beating up on a bunch of l1/l2 teams
  • Sponsored links:

• Well done to ATL for getting to the final. They’ve been the best team in the league this season so deserve to win it. Unlike Portland who finished mid table (?) but still have a chance to win the thing because of their stupid system.

I’d say MLS standard is around Championship level. It’s not as bad as some like to make out - they just focus on attaching more than defending. Which tbh is what English football was like until the 80s/90s. The technique of things like shooting is of a high standard though and probably higher than the Championship.
  • 10 years now of supporting Portland Timbers - including a trip down there for a game or two most seasons and watching most of their games live on TV. I really fancy our chances, we have come alive during the Play Offs - if Valeri, Blanco & Chara are on form we will be in with a big chance as our away form is at least if not better than home. Only downside is I will miss it live as we are driving back from BC that afternoon...

I think you completely miss the point. If you are right, and you might be, the team is averaging 53,000 attendance for a League One club. My point is that one can see the future of football in America when things like that happen here.

I think you completely miss the point. If you are right, and you might be, the team is averaging 53,000 attendance for a League One club. My point is that one can see the future of football in America when things like that happen here.
    I would argue that interest in the men's game is not the problem, and has not been for a while. It's a lack of coaching and culture. The latter is changing, and has changed drastically in my lifetime. The former, from what I can tell, isn't.

We still have a lot of coaches who, how do I day this nicely, are of an era from '70s and' 80s Britain. And that's okay to some extent. But that sort of pointy shouty play direct win at all costs type thing doesn't do a lot to develop young players.

Only just now do most, if not all MLS sides have academies, the benefits of which will largely take 10-15 years to feel. But there is still a huge element of "pay to play" for the finest youth club sides. And that kicks kids out of the game, plain and simple. The college game is not a good preparation for the professional game anywhere outside of MLS. And even then, it's influence seems to be starting to wane. MLS is also confusing all of this by, baffingly, continuing to expand without relegation or promotion, and as such continuing to dilute the talent.

I'm 32, and I'm a few years removed from the bits of coaching and helping friends out that I did. And I hope things are changing. I think they will. But whether it's looking at the national teams, and where those players developed, or the 14 months it took to find a, er, qualified (?) coach, Atlanta's attendence, and success, looks more like the exception rather than the rule.
  • ozaddick said:

Impressive numbers Napa, but I cannot take the support seriously when you’ve got the likes of these lot ‘singing’ footy songs. Embarrassing.

https://youtu.be/3pH8fbThGak

this video explains trump

The question is whether they can sustain it though. At the moment it's a novelty thing, the team is new, doing really well, so the crowds are there. Will they still be getting 50k crowds in 3-4 years time if they're not doing so well?

Looking at the attendance lists, of the sides with a capacity of over 40k, none of them are even close to selling out each game. Sides like Seattle, Minnesota, Vancouver, Montreal, New york city, none of these even fill over 60% of their stadiums.

Is it the Atlanta Falcons stadium?

Yeah, same one
  • Sponsored links:

The question is whether they can sustain it though. At the moment it's a novelty thing, the team is new, doing really well, so the crowds are there. Will they still be getting 50k crowds in 3-4 years time if they're not doing so well?

Looking at the attendance lists, of the sides with a capacity of over 40k, none of them are even close to selling out each game. Sides like Seattle, Minnesota, Vancouver, Montreal, New york city, none of these even fill over 60% of their stadiums.
    I went to a Seattle game in 2017 and the attendance was 43,000 in a stadium that holds 72,000. Chatting to the bloke next to me he said that the league wouldn't allow them to sell anymore than that because it was deemed unfair on the rest of the league and was an unfair advantage for Seattle. He said the only game they were allowed to sell out was when Beckham came to town. He said they would get close to a sell out if they were allowed. No idea if that was true but either way 43,000 is a very decent crowd and I think they continue to average around that. The league average is above 20,000. The atmosphere was a bit "Palace" but for a day out it was decent, went to the Red Bulls season before that, enjoyed that too, especially as BWP got two against a very lazy Drogba side. The worst supported team Columbus Crew average 12,000. What do we average now? About that?
  • Isn't the atmosphere in the US quiet German, rather then a bit 'Palace' and that says more about the atmosphere in English stadiums, then the choice Americans have taken in how they make there noise.
  • edited December 2018
    Rothko said:

Isn't the atmosphere in the US quiet German, rather then a bit 'Palace' and that says more about the atmosphere in English stadiums, then the choice Americans have taken in how they make there noise.

I would say it’s definitely the case that Palace fans copy what they see in the MLS - whose fan culture and passion predates the Novelty Nigels in any case.

I am mightily impressed every time we go to the Timbers - a cracking atmosphere no matter the opposition.

Same guy owns both Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta United.
  • Starting watching a bit on Sky recently, quite like the Timbers’ and Atlanta’s kits. I wanted a Chicago Sting kit when I younger.

The thing that puts me off a bit though are the non-grass surfaces. It’s not that cos it may affect the game, they just aren’t easy on the eye.

Same guy owns both Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta United.
    Arthur Blank. He certainly knows how to run a sports organisation.
  • ozaddick said:

Impressive numbers Napa, but I cannot take the support seriously when you’ve got the likes of these lot ‘singing’ footy songs. Embarrassing.

https://youtu.be/3pH8fbThGak

Beyond embarrassment but thanks for giving me insight into what it must be like waking up and realising you support Crystal Palarse...
  • What’s their away support like number wise , new ground syndrome last year , how are the numbers stacking up ?
  • What’s their away support like number wise , new ground syndrome last year , how are the numbers stacking up ?

Still better than ours.
  • Impressive from Atlanta.

From new side to MLS Cup winners in just 2 seasons!

Be interesting to see how they get on next season though. Manager Gerardo Martino is leaving to become Mexico manager, playmaker Almiron is on his way and top scorer Martinez will definitely have clubs interested in him.