Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ballon D’or 2018 (Modric Winner)

Winner will be announced tonight. Opinions?

Comments

• Well ya probably got a 50/50 chance
  • Well ya probably got a 50/50 chance

Been leaked that Modric has won it
  • Pointless award if it doesn't go to the best player in the world. Messi = GOAT
  • Modric deserves it this year.
  • Modric deserves it this year.

Think he’s been useless since the World Cup. No coincidence Madrid are having a bad start and Juventus are having their best ever start to a season
  • Neymar 12th haha
  • Kane 10th, and people will still argue he’s a tap in merchant
  • Mbappe wins the Kopa Award for U21 talent
  • Messi 5th

Weird one.

Who's left? Ronaldo, Modric, Mbappe and...?
  • Sponsored links:

• Antoine Griezmann
  • Ah yeah probably.
  • Reckon Mbappe, Griezmann, Ronaldo then Modric
  • First time since 2006 Messi not in top 3
    Last 10 have been won by Messi or Ronaldo
  • The judges are just guessing cos they ain’t got the 2 Bob channel you need to watch La Ligua these days.
  • Been confirmed. Modric has won it. Undeserved imo
  • I have no idea about club football at that level, but Modric was head and shoulders the best player in the World Cup.
  • Superb in World Cup and for Real Madrid last season. Humble, unassuming guy as well - pleased to see him win it.
  • If people are honest with themselves its Messi or Ronaldo.... just because its repetitive shouldn't mean people should vote differently
  • I think Modric deserved it. A relatively open contest this year, as Messi and Ronaldo have been below their best, while France was more an excellent team rather than one genius dragging them to the WC win
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2018
    Because there was a slight contest to Messi and Ronaldo they gave it to Modric. People are just so fed up of seeing the same people win it every year that given a chance to vote for someone else they do it. But like @Pelling1993 said, it shouldn’t change people’s votes. If you look at it logically Ronaldo deserves it and that’s a fact
  • Harry Redknapp alert!!!
    Men's Ballon d'Or winner 2018 Luka Modric: "Change of position helped me a lot in my career. I used to play more offensively.

"When I dropped back, I was able to read the game better and show my creativity. Harry Redknapp made that change."

Get those quotes to the jungle. Triffic!
  • Lionel Messi (5th) vs Kylian Mbappé (4th) since the start of last season:

Games played:

76 vs 67

Goals scored:

64 vs 39

Assists made:

27 vs 14

🧐
  • In a World Cup year, performances in Russia will be an important factor, and both Ronaldo and Messi are probably suffering through their countries not doing that well in the summer.

In terms of CLUB performances, certainly in 2017/18, Mo Salah would get the award for me, as he did it for a far less dominant club that Real or Barcelona.
  • edited December 2018

Because there was a slight contest to Messi and Ronaldo they gave it to Modric. People are just so fed up of seeing the same people win it every year that given a chance to vote for someone else they do it. But like @Pelling1993 said, it shouldn’t change people’s votes. If you look at it logically Ronaldo deserves it and that’s a fact

Based on @ForeverAddickted picture its clear Messi deserved it.

And thats a fact
  • People need to remember the Balloon Door is a individual persons award not a team award.

Did Barca win Champions League-No
    Did Argentina win World Cup-No

Do the above stats show Messi as the best performer of the year-Yes

So how has Messi not won
  • I think Modric deserved it. A relatively open contest this year, as Messi and Ronaldo have been below their best, while France was more an excellent team rather than one genius dragging them to the WC win

I dunno about that. Ronaldo scored the same number of goals last season as Salah but also won the Champions League. Had one of the goals of the year. Is doing well for his new team. I don't like him but I think he earned it again last year.
  • No one can deny Modric had a great season but i don't get the argument of giving it to a player just because his club or country had a great season. Yes Madrid won the champions league but does anyone seriously believe that they won it because of Modric?

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that Ronaldo's 15 goals were slightly more important than Modric's contribution. Where was Modric when Ronaldo was scoring 3 goals in the tie against PSG and another 3 goals including that overhead kick v Juventus?

As Paulie says it's an individual award and yes people might be fed up of them winning it every year, but Messi and Ronaldo are still the 2 best players.