Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UEL2

A new European competition has been given the go ahead to begin in 2021

It will sit below the current 2 in standings so it will be

Uefa Champions League
Uefa Eurola League
UEL2

Games will be played on a Thursday evening like the Europa League

Comments

• https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/uefa-launches-third-european-club-competition-from-2021-120218

DUBLIN (AP) — European soccer is launching a third club competition as UEFA seeks to get more countries involved in continent-wide matches.

Provisionally called UEL2, the competition will sit below the Champions League and Europa League from 2021. The plans were approved by the UEFA executive committee on Sunday, three years after the initial discussions were first revealed by The Associated Press.

UEL2 games will be played on Thursday nights — like the Europa League — with the intention of giving more countries the chance to be represented in European club competitions.

There will be eight groups each featuring four teams, with only the winners advancing automatically. The Europa League will mirror the new competition, so the group stage will be streamlined from 48 to 32 teams.

After the group stage, there will be a knockout round for UEL2 runners-up and the third-placed finishers in the Europa League to determine who advances to the round of 16.

A new-style knockout round will replace the round of 32 in the Europa League. Third-placed teams in the Champions League will take on Europa League group runners-up.

“The new UEFA club competition makes UEFA’s club competitions more inclusive than ever before,” UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin said. “There will be more matches for more clubs, with more associations represented in the group stages.”

UEFA is guaranteeing that at least 34 of its 55 countries — up from 26 — will be represented in the group stage of its competitions as the result of the introduction of UEL2.

“There was a widespread demand by all clubs to increase their chances of participating more regularly in European competition,” Ceferin said. “This has been achieved with a strategic approach, and in accordance with UEFA’s objective of having both more quality and more inclusivity in our club competitions.”
  • I must admit I like this idea

A new-style knockout round will replace the round of 32 in the Europa League. Third-placed teams in the Champions League will take on Europa League group runners-up.
  • I must admit I like this idea

I have to disagree Paulie. I just think football is saturated at the moment. The Europa League is fast becoming a bit of joke tournament imo. Some of the games and the teams that compete in it are just ridiculous. Granted when you get down to the last 8 you often have some decent teams in there, but I think if we get something like this it will strengthen resolve for a breakaway super league from the very top teams. Look at Burnley this season, European football for the first time in yonks and staying in the Prem is far more important, so Dyche gives it no time whatsoever. If we have a 3rd competition open to qualification from teams further down the Prem, you’re only gonna get average teams like Bournemouth qualifying and then imo, not taking it seriously. At the moment the Europa League is only taken seriously by the likes of Qarabag and teams from that part of the world until the last 8, when your Arsenal’s etc start to give a shit as it is a back door to the CL.

We need less football not more at the moment. And it also highlights a massive disparity now outside the top leagues. Years gone by the Dutch league teams could compete in the CL, now they’re lucky to get out the group stage. Unfortunately top level European football is all about 8 or so clubs, the rest are cannon foder
  • cabbles said:

I must admit I like this idea

I have to disagree Paulie. I just think football is saturated at the moment. The Europa League is fast becoming a bit of joke tournament imo. Some of the games and the teams that compete in it are just ridiculous. Granted when you get down to the last 8 you often have some decent teams in there, but I think if we get something like this it will strengthen resolve for a breakaway super league from the very top teams. Look at Burnley this season, European football for the first time in yonks and staying in the Prem is far more important, so Dyche gives it no time whatsoever. If we have a 3rd competition open to qualification from teams further down the Prem, you’re only gonna get average teams like Bournemouth qualifying and then imo, not taking it seriously. At the moment the Europa League is only taken seriously by the likes of Qarabag and teams from that part of the world until the last 8, when your Arsenal’s etc start to give a shit as it is a back door to the CL.

We need less football not more at the moment. And it also highlights a massive disparity now outside the top leagues. Years gone by the Dutch league teams could compete in the CL, now they’re lucky to get out the group stage. Unfortunately top level European football is all about 8 or so clubs, the rest are cannon foder
    Sorry I dont like the idea of an UEL2, I was saying I like the idea of 3rd place in the Champions League have to face runners up in Europa League to make knockout round
  • Ross said:

Champions League teams have had their chance in their competition.

Once they’re out they should be out, not go into another competition and potentially knock out a lesser team there who’s earned the right to be there.

I agree unfortunatly UEFA would never do that look at this year they want whoever finishes 3rd out of Tottenham and Inter, PSG and Liverpool and Valencia to stay in their competition.

At least the new way doesnt gurantee they will be in the knockout stage and would still have to beat the team who finished 2nd in the Europa League to make it through
  • Not convinced. Creating an even less prestigious competition means that the big teams and TV won't take it seriously.
  • cabbles said:

Hallo mate, I somewhat disagree with you here. It is certainly true that as you say We need less football not more at the moment. But I think the issue is that the UCL and EL are too bloated in their formats. We need knockout much earlier.

Where I disagree with you, as a result of living out here is At the moment the Europa League is only taken seriously by the likes of Qarabag and teams from that part of the world until the last 8. I am afraid that is a very British viewpoint. The Czech teams take the EL very seriously, and when Viktoria Plzen got through to the knockout round early this year, the city crackled with atmosphere as it hosted the visiting fans of first Partizan Belgrade and then Sporting Lisbon. Those names are not Qarabag are they? They are the names of clubs with heritage and history. Viktoria actually cannot say that, but they are classic giant-killers, the modern European version of Yeovil or whoever in the FA cup. Did you notice that they mugged CSKA in Moscow last Tuesday? Absolute warrior performance, left 55,000 Russians stunned. Back in Plzen, pubs open til 02.00 to celebrate, so I heard.

We used to have three European competitions, but of course they were all knockout comps. I agree with the idea of giving more countries' clubs a shout of European matches, but with more knockout element. Of course we won't get that, the clubs resist it.

I cannot work out the initial criteria for EL2 qualification. How does it work?
  • cabbles said:

Sorry I dont like the idea of an UEL2, I was saying I like the idea of 3rd place in the Champions League have to face runners up in Europa League to make knockout round
    Similar to a non league side getting knocked out of the FA Cup, but reinstated in the Vase/Trophy?
  • Sponsored links:

• Rather have a third European competition made up of the teams that win the second tier of each UEFA nation in a straight knock out competition.
  • se9addick said:

Rather have a third European competition made up of the teams that win the second tier of each UEFA nation in a straight knock out competition.

Think England would win it every year, just look at top nations last year

Wolves
    Rayo Vallecano
    Fortuna Dusseldorf
    Reims
    Empoli

Wolves the best team there
  • edited December 2018

se9addick said:

Rather have a third European competition made up of the teams that win the second tier of each UEFA nation in a straight knock out competition.

Think England would win it every year, just look at top nations last year

Wolves
    Rayo Vallecano
    Fortuna Dusseldorf
    Reims
    Empoli

Wolves the best team there
    The Championship is the best second tier in the world never mind Europe, especially as you have four or five teams knocking about with enormous parachute payments. That being said I don't think you’ll get a team as good as Wolves winning it every year - not sure Norwich (who are currently top) are as good as Wolves were last year.

To be honest I’ve given this approximately 45 seconds thought so there’s every chance it’s a terrible idea.
  • cabbles said:

Hallo mate, I somewhat disagree with you here. It is certainly true that as you say We need less football not more at the moment. But I think the issue is that the UCL and EL are too bloated in their formats. We need knockout much earlier.

Where I disagree with you, as a result of living out here is At the moment the Europa League is only taken seriously by the likes of Qarabag and teams from that part of the world until the last 8. I am afraid that is a very British viewpoint. The Czech teams take the EL very seriously, and when Viktoria Plzen got through to the knockout round early this year, the city crackled with atmosphere as it hosted the visiting fans of first Partizan Belgrade and then Sporting Lisbon. Those names are not Qarabag are they? They are the names of clubs with heritage and history. Viktoria actually cannot say that, but they are classic giant-killers, the modern European version of Yeovil or whoever in the FA cup. Did you notice that they mugged CSKA in Moscow last Tuesday? Absolute warrior performance, left 55,000 Russians stunned. Back in Plzen, pubs open til 02.00 to celebrate, so I heard.

We used to have three European competitions, but of course they were all knockout comps. I agree with the idea of giving more countries' clubs a shout of European matches, but with more knockout element. Of course we won't get that, the clubs resist it.

Some good points. It's good that the Czech teams take it seriously, but I think that's the problem. For some reason, this tournament has completely dropped off the radar in England and is consolation prize for teams that want to get in the CL. I remember fondly growing up with the European Cup/CL, UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup. And all three tournaments had great teams in it, because the Champions League was just that, the Champions League. As soon as they started letting the top 4 in from England, Italy & Spain, they completely screwed over the the secondary tournaments. Add to that the money and hype of the CL now, and it's irretrievable to get the Europa back on track in terms of overall popularity. I appreciate you will see it differently and it's good to hear some parts of the world do take it seriously, I just think the greed of the CL has f***** it now.

Re: qualification, i'm not sure
  • cabbles said:

Restrict the Champions' League to the winners of the domestic leagues - that'll reduce some of the bloating in that comp.

The Europa League can have up to three teams from each country, depending on that country's recent performances in club competitions - qualification: runners-up in league, winners of second domestic cup, extra places filled by league position.

New third comp - for the winners of each country's main cup competition. You could call it the European Cup-Winner's Cup, that's got a nice ring to it.

To reduce further the bloatedness of the tourneys and to make things more exciting and cut-throat, do away with group stages, make each tie a two-legged affair, home and away, with no seeding i.e. an open draw for each round.

It might just work ...
  • cabbles said:

Restrict the Champions' League to the winners of the domestic leagues - that'll reduce some of the bloating in that comp.

The Europa League can have up to three teams from each country, depending on that country's recent performances in club competitions - qualification: runners-up in league, winners of second domestic cup, extra places filled by league position.

New third comp - for the winners of each country's main cup competition. You could call it the European Cup-Winner's Cup, that's got a nice ring to it.

To reduce further the bloatedness of the tourneys and to make things more exciting and cut-throat, do away with group stages, make each tie a two-legged affair, home and away, with no seeding i.e. an open draw for each round.

It might just work ...
    I agree with you on this, but so many clubs would have kittens and throw their toys out the pram. The power clubs have too much sway
  • cabbles said:

cabbles said:

It might just work ...
    I agree with you on this, but so many clubs would have kittens and throw their toys out the pram. The power clubs have too much sway
    I'm well aware of the turkeys not wanting to vote for Christmas. For the good of the game, or the good of the bank balance?

I was merely harking back to the days of my youth and the quality of the European cup competitions in the '70s and '80s, largely brought about by the formats.

These days you couldn't have a repeat of the first round of the 1978-79 European Cup: English Champions Nottingham Forest drawn against reigning European Champions Liverpool ... seedings and "country protection" (i.e. keeping TV happy) would keep them apart until probably the quarter-finals.

As there was an open draw with no seeding in place there was more chance of a smaller club reaching the latter stages and even the final. Forest beat Malmö in the final to win their first European trophy, Aberdeen famously beat Real Madrid in the 1983 Cup-Winner's Cup. The present rules around the draws would make these highly unlikely now as everything is too much in favour of the big guns ... which is wrong.

As far as I'm concerned the big clubs can bugger off and have their own European Super League for the benefit of Asian TV and the rest of us can have proper, open competitions back.
  • edited December 2018
    I think this third tier competition is aimed at splitting up the Europa League which has become way too bloated.

The reason so many teams don’t take the UEL seriously is because the teams they are playing against aren’t good enough. Look at Arsenal Reserves away to Vorskla last week. Arsenal won 3-0 with a youth side.

If you put most of the Eastern European teams into this new competition, it will mean the Europa League isn’t so diluted with bad games and should increase the prestige somewhat. The way I read it, teams from England/Spain/Italy won’t be drawn into this new third tier competition. It’ll be strictly for the minnows.

I’m viewing it as similar to what UEFA accomplished with the Nations League. Stop the big boys playing dead rubber games against the minnows and create more level playing fields.
  • Maybe Lee was trying to emulate Arsenal but failed with our youth side last Saturday.
  • But like, why?