Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Play-Off Final 20th Anniversary Dinner - 9 December 2018 at the Valley in aid of Community Trust

edited October 2018 in General Charlton

Comments

• £95 a ticket!
  • Given the previous food announcements of late there will be no vegetarian or vegan option.
  • We had this debate about the price of the Back to the Valley dinner but that sold out.

Not a price I'd set or pay but there is a proven market for these dinners at these prices.

The problem is, IMHO, is that there aren't enough dinners or Q & As at lower prices/free other than Bromley Addicks and occasionally City Addicks. East Kent Addicks Anonymous also hold events but no else knows about them.
  • Croydon said:

£95 a ticket!

It's a Platinum fixture, like Charlton v Gillingham.
  • My memory must be playing tricks on me. Always thought the game was in May, not December.

Yep.......I had my celebration back in May too. didnt cost me £95 either.
  • maybe not the beat time around Xmas with loads of nights out and other expense though.
  • Nothing else to celebrate so lets celebrate a play off win (albeit a cracking day ) from 20 years ago
    Embarrassing and 7 months late!
  • Sponsored links:

• Nothing else to celebrate so lets celebrate a play off win (albeit a cracking day ) from 20 years ago

Don't get this. Why slag off the Trust by calling what they are doing "embarrassing"?

What can the Trust do about there being "nothing else to celebrate"?

Yes, it would have been better in May but for whatever reason it wasn't organised then, it has been now. Better late than never.

Don't get this. Why slag off the Trust by calling what they are doing "embarrassing"?

Yes, it would have been better in May but for whatever reason it wasn't organised then, it has been now. Better late than never.
    I didn't realise it was a Trust thing. I assumed it was something to line Roland's pockets.

I didn't realise it was a Trust thing. I assumed it was something to line Roland's pockets.
    It does say "in aid of the Charlton Athletic Community Trust" on the flyer on the first post and the contact details for booking are for the Trust.
  • edited October 2018
    Had a good meeting with Jason Morgan and Annabel Upson from the Trust last night.

We're working on how to best display the play-off items we have.

Jason pointed out that holding it last May would have been ideal but there was already the player of the year do then plus the uncertainty over dates due to league one play-offs. It also takes time to confirm everything and that wasnt possible by May.

Also the December BTTV dinner had been a sell out and a good fundraiser.

The price is set to cover costs with most income from the trust coming from the raffles, auctions etc.

It's not just the food but the staff, hosts, plasma screens etc etc and covering the guests and their partners.

Delaware North aren't charging for the room btw so it's no money spinner for the club.

The trust are still waiting for responses from more players.

• Had a good meeting with Jason Morgan and Annabel Upson from the Trust last night.

Jason pointed out that holding it last May would have been ideal but there was already the player of the year do then plus the uncertainty over dates due to league one play-offs. It also takes time to confirm everything and that wasnt possible by May.

The price is set to cover costs with most income from the trust coming from the raffles, auctions etc.

It's not just the food but the staff, hosts, plasma screens etc etc and covering the guests and their partners.

Delaware North aren't charging for the room btw so it's no money spinner for the club.

They had 20 years to plan it!

I'm sure it'll be a fun evening for those attending, what's up for Auction, anything decent?
  • Rob7Lee said:

Had a good meeting with Jason Morgan and Annabel Upson from the Trust last night.

They had 20 years to plan it!

I'm sure it'll be a fun evening for those attending, what's up for Auction, anything decent?
    A signed women's team shirt, very hard to find : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• The Trust have hit a formula where they know companies they have a good relationship with and a few well off supporters will always take a batch of tables to make these things viable. It will effectively be a repeat of the dinner 12 months ago but with the people there wearing different ties / dresses.

Good luck to them and those going, whether paying or on freebies, but these events are no longer aimed at appealing to the bulk of the fanbase.
  • I'll bid on the garden gnome and get Big Mervs autograph for you if you want?
  • I kind of agree AFKA. I'd love to go but the days of frivolous spending and chasing your hero's round a room trying to pinch their bums (only joking of course never would i do such a thing) are on hold for the moment. It will of course sell out and lucky are those able to afford to attend.

• No thanks!
  • Should they publish the menu in detail?
  • The Trust have hit a formula where they know companies they have a good relationship with and a few well off supporters will always take a batch of tables to make these things viable. It will effectively be a repeat of the dinner 12 months ago but with the people there wearing different ties / dresses.

Good luck to them and those going, whether paying or on freebies, but these events are no longer aimed at appealing to the bulk of the fanbase.

As I said above the problem isn't the £95 (what a lot of people on here pay to see a concert, etc) but that there are very few free or low cost events now that the club doesn't do Q & As and there are few active supporters' groups left organising such do's.

The POTY is £40 and some felt that was too much.
  • Lee Bowyer, Johnnie Jackson and Chris Solly will be attending Charlton Athletic Community Trust’s (CACT’s) 1998 Play-Off Final 20th Anniversary Charity Dinner on Sunday, December 9th.Jon Fortune will also be present alongside his former teammates.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c016d48762d2/bowyer-jackson-and-solly-to-attend-cacts-charity-dinner
    What part did the people named above play in the play-off final?
  • clive said:

Lee Bowyer, Johnnie Jackson and Chris Solly will be attending Charlton Athletic Community Trust’s (CACT’s) 1998 Play-Off Final 20th Anniversary Charity Dinner on Sunday, December 9th.Jon Fortune will also be present alongside his former teammates.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c016d48762d2/bowyer-jackson-and-solly-to-attend-cacts-charity-dinner

I imagine Solly would have been about 6 years old back then, so not a lot.
  • clive said:

Lee Bowyer, Johnnie Jackson and Chris Solly will be attending Charlton Athletic Community Trust’s (CACT’s) 1998 Play-Off Final 20th Anniversary Charity Dinner on Sunday, December 9th.Jon Fortune will also be present alongside his former teammates.

I imagine Solly would have been about 6 years old back then, so not a lot.
    Bowyers transfer fee was used to build the promotion team!
  • Anyone go?

Any write ups?

Why are real fans being kept in the dark? (This is a joke)