Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Aren't we just slightly over reacting?

Selection could have been better in an ideal world. YES. Certain things didn't allow the situation to be like that. We will feel a lot worse if we go out in the play-offs and we have the best available to us playing. Let's just get a grip of reality.

Comments

• Win the next two games and this will be quickly forgotten about

Lose the next two and the knifes will be sharpened.

Let's see what happens.
  • Sponsored links:

• I really didn’t see that team and bench offered - not at all.

Did you pay to see that Superclive?
  • Massively overreacting. We've always been shit in the cups and anybody that was expecting different today was deluding themselves. With a paper-thin squad, already suffering from injuries, it was the right thing to do.
    I don't understand the need for a big day out in the 3rd round.

You wanna pay for my tickets and travel then ? . Don’t tell me it was an overreaction.
    Did you really expect anything different?
    Yes
    If you really believed that then I refer you to my earlier post that you were deluding yourself.
    From Bowyer's point of view, would he be remembered for getting us to the third round and a 6-0 defeat at Chelsea or Arsenal or would he be remembered for achieving promotion?
    Clive, there's a second string side and then there's the squad that Bowyer selected today. None of us went today expecting our starting 11 but we've put out stronger u23 sides this season. The bench summed it up, it wasn't on.

And your last line assumes that promotion is assured because he rested players, but it isn't at all.
  • I thought Bowyer made it pretty clear after Burton there'd be wholesale changes made to the team today. Nobody should have been surprised to see so many changes today.
  • thenewbie said:

Massively overreacting. We've always been shit in the cups and anybody that was expecting different today was deluding themselves. With a paper-thin squad, already suffering from injuries, it was the right thing to do.
    I don't understand the need for a big day out in the 3rd round.

You wanna pay for my tickets and travel then ? . Don’t tell me it was an overreaction.
    Did you really expect anything different?
    Yes . Otherwise I would have stayed at home .
    Then frankly, more fool you. Bowyers never once given any sign of caring about a cup run, we've had some tough games and a spate of injuries and a busy period ahead of us. Anyone expecting a team anywhere near full strength today was only ever deluding themselves.
    Thanks . I’ll tell my kids that next time they tell me they don’t
    want to go to Charlton because they are not sure if their favourite players will be there . More fool them eh?
  • I think on the future if Bowyer (or any other Charlton manager) has a clearly pre-set intention of picking a severely weakened side he should say so as soon as practicably possible in advance. Then people know what they are paying for. That selection, with no forthcoming Tuesday fixture to justify the “League first” line, was a disgrace.

(Posted also on the post match thread).
  • Sponsored links:

• Well if Roland gave a bit more support and we didn't have the injuries and a full squad Bow would have had a different mindset. Pragmatism.
  • Couldn't be bothered to read 7 pages on the post match thread after reading the 1st one.

One thing I will say......one poster said that LB is Charlton through & through. I disagree. He played for us for a season & a bit. In all, with youth team etc prob no more than 4 years. Spent longer at Leeds.

• The team, and the bench especially, was extremely poor and Bows easily could’ve had a couple of first team players on the bench to make it look like he cared about the result.

For that and the performance, the money spent and time wasted going to The Valley today, I do feel sorry for my fellow supporters. It does show a bit of disrespect.

However, I knew he was going to make wholesale changes, he did in the first round and after Tuesday night and the December schedule coming up, Bows was always going to change the whole team. For me it was the bench that was the let down.

I made the conscious decision not to go, that was made a good while ago. And without myself sounding disrespectful, I would be genuinely surprised if other supporters expected much better or different. As I said, the bench could’ve been better. But the team itself today was about as good as I was expecting.

The point he makes about injuries and rest and fatigue might be a bit lame, but he does have a point. I would assume the reaction on here would be far worse if Taylor played for example and got an injury meaning we lost him for the whole month.

This season we have one goal and one goal only. Promotion. Getting into the third round might have been nice, sure, but it is not a priority whatsoever. Of course we now must follow this up with getting results in the league to calm people down and some will say it was the correct decision for the greater good. But to say we must now win promotion for this to be justified is too far. Being in the third round has nothing to do with whether we get promoted or not.

I think the article on the official site comes across as very defensive but in an attacking kind of way. Which doesn’t help things.

I understand other team in our league are being competitive for The FA Cup, which makes us even worse, but I also know that Bowyer wanted us to be able to solely focus on the league now without anything else. What’s the difference between us playing an U23 team in the first round of the League Cup and the team we did today for The FA Cup? Why are people more angry about this instead?

We now have 7 games in 29 days which include travelling to Blackpool, Portsmouth, Coventry and Barnsley. That’s real tough. It’s best to have our best players available for as many of those as we possibly can.

It’s disappointing, but I do not think it is surprising. We just now have to try and get around 14 points from these next 7. That will put us about 3rd I would say.
  • se9addick said:

I think on the future if Bowyer (or any other Charlton manager) has a clearly pre-set intention of picking a severely weakened side he should say so as soon as practicably possible in advance. Then people know what they are paying for. That selection, with no forthcoming Tuesday fixture to justify the “League first” line, was a disgrace.

(Posted also on the post match thread).

He did.
    Really? Must have missed that (quite possible, haven’t been around much thisvweek) - what did he say?
  • MrLargo said:

Can't believe the stick being dished out to Bowyer. What exactly is the benefit of a cup run this season? We have a paper thin squad and an owner who's not gonna strengthen it in January. He could have fielded a stronger side today, we could have won, we could have drawn Man U at Old Trafford in the next round. That might be a dream draw in normal circumstances - a nice day out for us and a load of cash to potentially reinvest in the playing squad, but that's not going to happen under Roland, any money we make goes in his pocket. There is literally nothing to gain from staying in the cup.

Konsa and Magennis sold in the summer and Kashi's wages off the bill. 2 free transfers in and a few loans to replace last season's loans.

We're in the top six and playing far better than we did under the previous two numpties, who had a great deal more to work with, that is entirely thanks to Bowyer. If you don't like what you saw today then send your complaints to Roland.

This
  • Way OTT

Although I have sympathy for those who attended