Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

3G Surface in League 2

Listening to the Maidstone owner I think it was on Football Focus they have a 3G pitch and are petitioning to The FA that anyone promoted from VNL to League 2 with a 3G pitch get a 3 year grace period.

He said its unresonable to expect a team to remove the 3G surface and replace it with grass in a 2 month period.

But to me that makes no sense, it doesnt matter if u do it the 1st year or the 3rd year, you are still only going get the 2 months as you are gonna have to do it at the end of the season

Comments

• There was talk Sutton didn't try all that hard to get promoted out of the conference because they'd only recently installed a 3G pitch. Can't have that sort of thing going on. I'd suggest 3G is OK at L2 level.
  • I think he is referring to the costs of doing it within two months of promotion and they should be given the opportunity to establish themselves as a league club.

They could end up spending their player budget on the pitch and get relegated that season as a result
  • I’m watching football focus too. Saw the title of this thread and thought, I bet paulie started it :wink:
  • Distressing lack of knowledge about Bishop’s Finger from the panel though!
  • Listening to the Maidstone owner I think it was on Football Focus they have a 3G pitch and are petitioning to The FA that anyone promoted from VNL to League 2 with a 3G pitch get a 3 year grace period.

He said its unresonable to expect a team to remove the 3G surface and replace it with grass in a 2 month period.

But to me that makes no sense, it doesnt matter if u do it the 1st year or the 3rd year, you are still only going get the 2 months as you are gonna have to do it at the end of the season

I think the FA should get carpeted for not allowing promotion to league 2. Many countries have 3G pitches, why can't we?

You see a good game of football as well with both teams passing along the floor rather than hoof ball on a bumpy pitch.
  • I think for clubs at that level it's the amount of use the pitch can take, that is the attraction. So ripping one up for possibly one season , would be hard on a non leauge side. So I agree a 2/3 year grace should be offered.
  • DOC64 said:

3G pitches should be nowhere near the professional game.

They play international football on them so why not?
  • Cafc43v3r said:

DOC64 said:

3G pitches should be nowhere near the professional game.

They play international football on them so why not?
    Too many reasons to go in to, but mainly the risk of injury and the inconsistencies of the different surfaces. My son is a young professional who detests playing on 3g. His club do everything they can to avoid training and playing on them. We live in Scotland and the artificial surfaces up here are atrocious. Kilmarnock and Livingston spring to mind straight away. My son refers to the Kilmarnock and Hamilton's old pitch ( hasn't played on the new one) as two of the worst he has played on.

The PFA in Scotland recently made strong representations against them and the Dutch FA have recently taken steps to do away with them.

Both Gerrard and Rogers up here have spoken out about them. Ruud Gullitt has blamed them for the demise of Dutch football. The list goes on....

Below is a link to an article where former Rangers player and Dutch international Arthur Numan gives his opinion.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-rangers-star-arthur-numan-13397973
  • Listening to the Maidstone owner I think it was on Football Focus they have a 3G pitch and are petitioning to The FA that anyone promoted from VNL to League 2 with a 3G pitch get a 3 year grace period.

I think the FA should get carpeted for not allowing promotion to league 2. Many countries have 3G pitches, why can't we?

You see a good game of football as well with both teams passing along the floor rather than hoof ball on a bumpy pitch.
    Correct.
  • Sponsored links:

So Steven Gerrard, Ruud Gullit and Marc Overmars think they're a terrible idea..........but Elfsborg from Charlton life thinks they're great.

I don't doubt they're ok at non league tier 6/7/8 etc where grass pitches can't handle the winter conditions, but they shouldn't be in use for top level pro football.
  • To be fair they would have played on old 3G pitches especially Gullit and Overmars

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of the Arsenal players after playing on that Sutton United pitch a few years ago

Love 3g compared to shitty mud pile pitches.
  • During the discussion about selling Wembley Stadium, 3G pitches were discussed on the Sunday Supplment. Apparently, they only last for eight years and cost 25K to have them replaced. Plus they are meant to be environmentally damaging.
  • One of those I play at is apparently made from recycled plastic
  • We played on a 3G pitch against Cheshunt FC youth team earlier this season and the pitch was fantastic. Far better than any 3G pitches I have seen before.
  • To be fair they would have played on old 3G pitches especially Gullit and Overmars

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of the Arsenal players after playing on that Sutton United pitch a few years ago

Even the current ones have very little give and accordingly
    there are a lot of impact injuries on artificial pitches. There is no doubt that the body adjusts slightly when playing on them regularly. There is also a much higher risk of suffering an ACL injury on an artificial pitch, especially if you are not used to it.

Obviously those issues don't affect a spectator, who is just there to watch the game.

Below is an article referring to Mourinho' s comments following his side's visit to Young Boys earlier in the season.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/7301325/jose-mourinho-plastic-pitch-manchester-united-young-boys/
  • Pringle said:

There was talk Sutton didn't try all that hard to get promoted out of the conference because they'd only recently installed a 3G pitch. Can't have that sort of thing going on. I'd suggest 3G is OK at L2 level.

Sutton make so much from hiring the pitch out during the week that they didn't want to lose that revenue for what could be a single season in the league.
  • Croydon said:

Pringle said:

There was talk Sutton didn't try all that hard to get promoted out of the conference because they'd only recently installed a 3G pitch. Can't have that sort of thing going on. I'd suggest 3G is OK at L2 level.

Sutton make so much from hiring the pitch out during the week that they didn't want to lose that revenue for what could be a single season in the league.
    Unfortunately that sums up why most clubs decide to install these artificial pitches.
  • DOC64 said:

Croydon said:

Pringle said:

Unfortunately that sums up why most clubs decide to install these artificial pitches.
    That's exactly the case, and it cannot be overlooked. The Gallagher stadium is used pretty much every night. This is a big part of how Maidstone United are sustainable and to take that away, add full time professional contracts and they almost don't want to go up. 2 or 3 years is a sensible grace period, 3g pitches are better than clubs at that level trying and failing to produce a decent, season long surface. You cannot blame the club's, unless the money from the top makes its way down to that level for basics like having a decent pitch to play the game on without bankrupting the club 3g pitches will continue. I play 5 a side on one and it's miles better than rock hard surfacing and as long as you can tackle without going to ground I rate them.

In am ideal world, a snooker table of a grass pitch is perfect. In reality they are expensive and weeks of the season are lost