Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Telecaster or Les Paul or SG or Stratocaster.

Which do you prefer and why?

Me the SG. The axe of Robbie Krieger. Guitarist in my favourite rock band.

Comments

• They all have quite distinctive sounds but favourite would be SG played by Frank Zappa OR Les Paul played by Frank Zappa OR Strat played by Rory Gallagher........i could go on
  • Epiphone gold top, not that I can play em
  • edited December 2018
  • Rickenbacker ( as per The Jam).
    Hoffner guitar base.
  • The Strat, particularly this one.

• Quite like a nice telecaster twang on Johnny cash records, also Anna calvi plays one like a beast. Nowt wrong with an SG in the hands of Angus Young, but it's still the Tele for me
  • I wish they'd bring it back.
    Loved it tapping away on a Saturday afternoon.
  • Horses for courses I guess.
    Love the sound of a Strat, and for all round bit of everything, you can pretty much get all you want out of one, so the go to guitar in many ways in my view. Played one for years, fab instrument.
    But I love my Les Paul. I love the feel of that neck and the growl you can get out of it, and they just look great in that sunburst finish. Rock heaven :smile:
    That said, there are other amazing guitars out there now, some of the PRS and Parkers are stunning bits of kit. They may even be better guitars, but there’s just something about the 4 mentioned, and their track history that elevate them, for this old codger :wink:
  • The Strat, particularly this one.

Go on treat yourself
  • McBobbin said:

Quite like a nice telecaster twang on Johnny cash records, also Anna calvi plays one like a beast. Nowt wrong with an SG in the hands of Angus Young, but it's still the Tele for me

That'll probably be Bob Wootton pickin away
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone for a flying V?
  • Tele, for me.

Although, I also like the Peavey Mantis I've owned for 35 years now.
  • Anyone for a flying V?

That sounds like an offer to be refused.
  • Depends on what sound you want I guess
    Also every man and and his dog plays a Strat.
    My weapon of choice is my 62 Tele with original nocaster pups, it’s indestructible and plays like a dream, gigging back up guitar is a 93 E Series Strat with Lace Sensor pups or my ex Gary Moore 83 Hamar. All go through a 50 watt Marshall AVT trubute amp, bloody lovely.
  • Love my Tele but getting more fun at the moment playing the Ibanez I bought from Baldybonce.
  • edited December 2018
    I like Brian Mays one, you know the fuzzy haired afro fella out of Queen, Im just having a saw at my mantelpiece at the mo...I will let you know how I get on, thats if I can finish it before the wife gets back from Lidl's and kills me.
  • Semi hollow Tele.

Though I do love my Burns Marquee Special :smiley:
  • edited December 2018
    May's guitar is a fascinating story well for guitar folks at least - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Special

Amps are so important too.

I had a Korean strat from 16 but never really found a sound I liked completely, have had various copies of other guitar types and a decent Epi Les with a glued neck. I think a Riki is my favourite sound tho.
  • I always wanted a Fender Jaguar, always thought they looked cool as.
    Playing wise, the Telecaster is my go to.
  • Jazzmaster.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fender Strat. In red. As used by Knopfler in the early Dire Straits albums.