Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Harmsworth?

Just watched a clip on YouTube of our 5-1 defeat by Manchester City on May 11th 1985. (A match which spoiled my birthday). Our keeper was "Harmsworth". I am getting senile and have terrible memory problems, but my knowledge of past Charlton players is still usually pretty good. But I cannot remember him at all. He looks and played like a 14 year-old in the clip. Could any kind person supply more information about him? (I was separated from my trusty "Cameron" when I emigrated. It would have a better choice than some of the useless stuff I did bring).

Comments

• Lee Harmsworth, didn’t play another game for us. There was talk of Steve Gritt playing in goal for the game as LH was the only keeper available due to injuries and the feeling was that LH was too young.
  • Lee Harmsworth. He was very young...maybe 17 or 18? Was about third or fourth choice that season but got his chance due to injuries etc. I don't think he played again after those end of season games he played in.
  • 48k at Maine Road before football become trendy .
    150-200 vintage Charlton away turn out , think quite a few of the train lot got there second half. Man City fans on 3 sides of us in the small away pen , they were swapping scarves and singing loyal supporters to us at the end .
    We’d have been lynched if we’d won and stopped them going up .
    Don’t forget the Kimble twins appeared in this fixture I think
  • Got there at half time. Train delayed as oohahh says. 2-0 down by then I think. Still had to pay to get in. £1.70. Was intimidating. Loud and jubilant city fans all around, asking for souvenirs. Was really like nothing else before or since for me. Lee Harmsworth was 17. Bradford fire was happening at the same time.
  • In that pen at the Kippax, where the previous season the City fans were throwing bottles at us as we beat them, they suddenly all wanted to be our mates.

Quite a strange turnaround.
  • This I’m sure was a featured match on some highlights show as I remember having it on a VHS as a kid
  • This I’m sure was a featured match on some highlights show as I remember having it on a VHS as a kid

Yep it was on match of the day , I’m pretty sure , I taped it and watched when I got home , saddo
  • Jimmy Melrose playing for city

This isn’t what was shown on match of the day but a slightly edited version cos I remember them mentioning the twins on that

https://youtu.be/QBgeg9yhknE
  • There was a poster on here a few years ago called Lee who was once a goalie on our books. Went out for a beer with him when he was working in Glasgow. Now I'm wondering if it was him. Just checked and he last posted in 2010, so doubt I'll find out now!
  • My wifes third cousin, never met him though
  • Sponsored links:

• Jimmy Melrose playing for city

This isn’t what was shown on match of the day but a slightly edited version cos I remember them mentioning the twins on that

https://youtu.be/QBgeg9yhknE

And Jim Tolmie, who scored that brilliant OG for us at Carlisle.
  • There was a poster on here a few years ago called Lee who was once a goalie on our books. Went out for a beer with him when he was working in Glasgow. Now I'm wondering if it was him. Just checked and he last posted in 2010, so doubt I'll find out now!

I think we also had a goalkeeper called Lee Harrison but I don't think he played for the first team .

I think we also had a goalkeeper called Lee Harrison but I don't think he played for the first team .
    Currently goalkeeping coach at Southend
  • No longer involved with football so wasn't Lee Harrison.
  • edited June 2018
    Drove up that day. Got back to the car and turned the radio on as normal to listen to the other results. Stunned to hear about the Bradford fire and was a very solemn drive home.
    Also drove up to Bradford for the game at Odsal Rugby Stadium which they used whilst Valley Parade was being rebuilt.
  • Darren Anderson
  • Can't help with Harmsworth, but I worked with Tony Lange at Southern Rail. He left six months ago.
  • Just watched a clip on YouTube of our 5-1 defeat by Manchester City on May 11th 1985. (A match which spoiled my birthday). Our keeper was "Harmsworth". I am getting senile and have terrible memory problems, but my knowledge of past Charlton players is still usually pretty good. But I cannot remember him at all. He looks and played like a 14 year-old in the clip. Could any kind person supply more information about him? (I was separated from my trusty "Cameron" when I emigrated. It would have a better choice than some of the useless stuff I did bring).

Harmsworth also played in a 3-3 game at The Valley, Oxford I think? Conceded 8 in two games!
  • I was mates with Joe Francis at school. We were both born on the same day at Queen Marys Sidcup (he's 10 minutes older than me).
  • Sponsored links:

• Two Charlton players in the Fulham line up that day I notice
  • DaveyB said:

Just joined the forum and have actually been working with Lee Harmsworth for the last 26 years up in the city at various Investment Banks, Lee has done really well for himself.

@killerjerrylee you might be interested in this
  • DaveyB said:

Just joined the forum and have actually been working with Lee Harmsworth for the last 26 years up in the city at various Investment Banks, Lee has done really well for himself.

Welcome to the forum Lee
  • Is Lee working for Bank of America Merrill Lynch, DaveyB ?
  • Is Lee working for Bank of America Merrill Lynch, DaveyB ?

Yes,.

• DaveyB said:

... Probably best you don't mention this thread to him @DaveyB :smile:
  • DaveyB said:

... Probably best you don't mention this thread to him @DaveyB :smile:
    Lee was the one who actually found the thread and sent me the link, he loves it.

• DaveyB. I have sent you a private message as I would like to contact Lee. please.