Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Food banks

Ignoring the minute % of chancers that the tabloids might accuse of exploiting them, surely it is little short of a national disgrace that these are required in 21st century Britain?

Comments

• Yep, particularly considering what a wealthy country we are.
  • Yes. Watching an intesting programme on bbc at the mo on credit unions before I leave for Burton. It’s all linked. You can very quickly get left behind taking on credit card debt and other loans. More often than not these credit card companies will lend money to people who either can’t afford it, or aren’t financially educated to the extent that they understand the circumstances

I’ve never had to use a food bank and touch wood that will always be the case, and I’m sure there are a minute few that will exploit it, but there are swaves of society simply being left behind. You only hear about it through reporters doing individual pieces on the news. So much goes on imo that just gets brushed under the carpet re: the poorest in our society, and if you haven’t experienced it, I believe it’s never going to resonate. I like the work football clubs do in this area. I truly believe the whole set up in this country at the moment really does sever those at the bottom to fend among themselves, that’s structurally, culturally, politically and economically. It may have always been this way, but perhaps I’m just of an age now where I think I realise that’s the case
  • Obviously it's a disgrace and needs to be tackled at the basic level.

It also needs to be tackled further up the line. Financial education is so key - teaching people how to manage finances and prevent a situation where debt getting out of control and loan sharks/payday lenders (basically the same thing) seem like a good option. Preventing many of these situations occurring is also important.
  • edited November 2018
    cabbles said:

Yes. Watching an intesting programme on bbc at the mo on credit unions before I leave for Burton. It’s all linked. You can very quickly get left behind taking on credit card debt and other loans. More often than not these credit card companies will lend money to people who either can’t afford it, or aren’t financially educated to the extent that they understand the circumstances

I’ve never had to use a food bank and touch wood that will always be the case, and I’m sure there are a minute few that will exploit it, but there are swaves of society simply being left behind. You only hear about it through reporters doing individual pieces on the news. So much goes on imo that just gets brushed under the carpet re: the poorest in our society, and if you haven’t experienced it, I believe it’s never going to resonate. I like the work football clubs do in this area. I truly believe the whole set up in this country at the moment really does sever those at the bottom to fend among themselves, that’s structurally, culturally, politically and economically. It may have always been this way, but perhaps I’m just of an age now where I think I realise that’s the case

Not exactly, there have been full-length documentaries on TV* and there was a report by a UN rapporteur about poverty in the UK only last week. The Government - people like Duncan Smith when he was a minister - are the architects of most if it and vehemently deny it. I'm afraid you can't pretend it isn't political.

*One example was The Food Bank: Scotland's Hidden Hunger, made around 2015, when food poverty wasn't as bad as it is now. It's no longer available on the BBC, but you might find it on YouTube or elsewhere. "Over one million people were given emergency food in Britain last year and the numbers are growing.The Food Bank follows the stories of some of the people who get help from Scotland's busiest food bank in Dundee. These include Charlie who, after being a victim of a robbery, is left with no money to buy food, and single dad Billy, who after a long spell out of work is forced to get help from the food bank to feed his four-year-old son Jack."
  • edited November 2018
    population on the up + lack of jobs = poverty

some people genuinely need the help of these food banks and my heart goes out to them, but we cannot ignore that some people are not ashamed to live on handouts etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• @Greenie just out of interest what would you propose the Labour Party or any other proposed government do to stop food banks being needed?.
  • edited November 2018
    Annoying and disgraceful. Brought it home to me recently when @falconwood_1 notified us that Erith town would be admitting for free those who brought items for Erith food Bank (edit- Dec 8th.- https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/17223738.erith-town-fc-holding-match-in-aid-of-bexley-foodbank/

We now have a substatially weakened safety net in this country in reality- aggravated by low wages, cost of housing, and a creaking benefits system.
  • It's a disgrace that churches, mosques, synagogues etc. didn't step up to the plate long ago.

Charity is the churches job, not the tax payers.

Churches do try and do their bit. Perhaps not that effectively but they do.

https://cafod.org.uk/ https://www.houseofmercygravesend.com/ One international charity and one local one as examples.
  • Sponsored links:

• I donate to foodbanks. I think it's insane that we have to in a country as rich as this, but we do.

Last year I thought it might be nice to spot someone at a bank and take them shopping. Like a supermarket sweep. Give them a budget that I'd cover (say, £75) and let them stock up on a big christmas dinner with all the trimmings and such.

I didn't do it for a couple of reasons - firstly I am not sure how to find someone in need, and secondly, would it be a bit patronising? Is it a bad idea?
  • LenGlover said:

It's a disgrace that churches, mosques, synagogues etc. didn't step up to the plate long ago.

Charity is the churches job, not the tax payers.

Churches do try and do their bit. Perhaps not that effectively but they do.

https://cafod.org.uk/ https://www.houseofmercygravesend.com/ One international charity and one local one as examples.
    It's good that they do their bit (if indeed they do, I don't claim to know)... but it's not the remotest bit their actual 'job' in the same way that it is the government's.
  • @Greenie just out of interest what would you propose the Labour Party or any other proposed government do to stop food banks being needed?.

Why should Greenie have to tell you when Labour has already spelt it out. They have said they will stop benefit sanctions and address the low pay culture that is a major reason why foodbanks are needed. It won't be instant, but it is working towards social justice rather than unfairness. Sorry, but like him or not, that is what Corbyn stands for!!!!!!
    tbh i asked @Greenie a question he seemed happy enough to answer it... so no real need to get involved and praise your man of the people corbyn.

why would you stop benefit sanctions surely job seekers allowance should be for someone seeking employment?.

as per usual this has been turned into a politics debate by the same posters who get quite excited when others do it.

JiMMy 85 said:

I donate to foodbanks. I think it's insane that we have to in a country as rich as this, but we do.

Last year I thought it might be nice to spot someone at a bank and take them shopping. Like a supermarket sweep. Give them a budget that I'd cover (say, £75) and let them stock up on a big christmas dinner with all the trimmings and such.

I didn't do it for a couple of reasons - firstly I am not sure how to find someone in need, and secondly, would it be a bit patronising? Is it a bad idea?

I imagine that the foodbanks would ask you not to do that as the donation of £75 worth of food would do a lot more for a lot more people.

also you would probably want to ask yourself some questions first that may help you make up your mind

if the pick up £50 worth of food then want to spend £25 on booze would you let them?

if on the way to the shop they were smoking premium fags would it make you question their need for your help?

while shopping you notice that they have the latest smart phone and are on it constantly, why are they struggling for food?

you realise whilst talking to them it's just a lady that lives with her other half (no kids) and she's picking up steaks and expensive sauces etc , would you be disappointed that your generosity could have been better spent in the way of a donation that helped families?
    Yeah that's all fair. Probably best just donating it. I had an idealistic image of helping a small family out I guess, but there's no real way of being sure I can do that. And while I wouldn't mind buying some wine, there's no fucking way I'm paying for cigarettes!

Why should Greenie have to tell you when Labour has already spelt it out. They have said they will stop benefit sanctions and address the low pay culture that is a major reason why foodbanks are needed. It won't be instant, but it is working towards social justice rather than unfairness. Sorry, but like him or not, that is what Corbyn stands for!!!!!!
    tbh i asked @Greenie a question he seemed happy enough to answer it... so no real need to get involved and praise your man of the people corbyn.

why would you stop benefit sanctions surely job seekers allowance should be for someone seeking employment?.

as per usual this has been turned into a politics debate by the same posters who get quite excited when others do it.

I was happy to answer @palarsehater.
    Re your comment about politics, unfortunately the Governments Politicians ARE responsible for the growth of food banks, because they are in power, and they have made the irresponsible decisions, based on greed that has caused this sorry mess that many many thousands of decent hard working people find themselves in. Furthermore, if come the next election, and we still have the food banks in place, and we will, then anyone who votes for this government is culpable too, because they knew what they were getting into.
    There is no excuse for food banks to be a necessity in modern Britain, none.