Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

DIY advice

I’ve finished tiling my shower cubicle and have used a waterproof grout, one which the instructions say can be used in swimming pools. I was going to use a silicon sealant around the bottom but wondered if this was really necessary?

Any professionals on here or anyone who at least knows what they’re talking about?? As a bit of a novice I think I’ve done a good job of the tiling

Comments

• The grout is described as flexible but I guess silicon is still required?
  • Definitely use silicone. Dow Corning. Put about a 10ml beeding around. DO NOT USE A CHEAP SILCONE.
  • edited November 2018
  • I also mastic all other inside corners on things like shower cubicals, as well as around the tile / shower tray junction. I've just built a shower cubical in a log type cabin and will be finishing the tiling this week.
  • Thanks for the advice guys
  • Definitely use silicone. Dow Corning. Put about a 10ml beeding around. DO NOT USE A CHEAP SILCONE.

This. My shower leaked and water came through the kitchen ceiling.
    I pushed the ceiling to detect the damage and my hand went through it :-(.
    I've just had the ceiling re plastered and a plumber sealed the shower with Dow Corning, which he said was the best.
  • And he used these.
  • If you're using sealant in a shower door frame, do it only on the outside - the frame will be designed so that water may run through it and back into the shower tray. If you seal the inside you might find gaps in the frame joints cause it to fill up with water and leak out where you don't want it to. That's what my plumber told me anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2018
    Definitely use a quality silicone. Unless you’re adept at getting a nice finish with silicone I really suggest watching this YouTube video. Google CharlieDiyte. There is a really good set of videos there and the one you should watch on silicone to a shower tray is about the best advice you can get.

https://youtu.be/_DI4hfHM_Hg
  • IdleHans said:

If you're using sealant in a shower door frame, do it only on the outside - the frame will be designed so that water may run through it and back into the shower tray. If you seal the inside you might find gaps in the frame joints cause it to fill up with water and leak out where you don't want it to. That's what my plumber told me anyway.

Might be true but the shower screen instructions should tell you if it’s necessary or not.

• IdleHans said:

If you're using sealant in a shower door frame, do it only on the outside - the frame will be designed so that water may run through it and back into the shower tray. If you seal the inside you might find gaps in the frame joints cause it to fill up with water and leak out where you don't want it to. That's what my plumber told me anyway.

Might be true but the shower screen instructions should tell you if it’s necessary or not.

Hans is definitely right about doing the outside and not the inside. I've learnt that the hard way.

I've just had the ceiling re plastered and a plumber sealed the shower with Dow Corning, which he said was the best.
    Guess what. It's farkin leaking again :-(

Definitely use silicone. Dow Corning. Put about a 10ml beeding around. DO NOT USE A CHEAP SILCONE.

Stop knocking one out in the shower would help.
  • Talking of Showers (not of shite, and Roland's imminent departure).

Our Shower had painted tiles when we purchased the house and the paint is now peeling over much of it.

Any advice of the best way to sand it (probably Wet'n'Dry) or strip it?

Likewise any recommendations of tile paint for showers?

Not looking to re-tile at the moment, just a decent fix.

Cheers

• Talking of Showers (not of shite, and Roland's imminent departure).

Our Shower had painted tiles when we purchased the house and the paint is now peeling over much of it.

Any advice of the best way to sand it (probably Wet'n'Dry) or strip it?

Likewise any recommendations of tile paint for showers?

Not looking to re-tile at the moment, just a decent fix.

Cheers

Go to the Zinsser website. Wealth of information on their products which are the best going.

• Thanks SHG, I will have a butcher’s