Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

eastenders last night

how this escaped my thoughts earlier on i'll never know, but did any of you closet benders fans watch it last night?

pardon me if i'm offending anyone, but did anyone else cringe the whole way through the 20 min tube scene?? not only was billy seen to be an oik who no one would dare talk to, but they name places, slag off parts of the area, and it was so fake it was unreal. I didn't think it could get any worse, when they brought up the 9/11 atrocities. now, i'm not trying to be unsympathetic, but it strikes me, that there was some ulterior motive to this being mentioned. perhaps trying to educate the uneducated population that watch eastenders and believe stuff like that really happens, and remind them of what an awful day it really was, but i really can't help thinking it wasn't done in the best of taste, and i couldn't wait for it to end.

for those that didn't see it, billy mitchell has found out his daughter has downs syndrome and he's finding it hard to take in. he gets on a tube to travel home to see his wife and the tube gets stuck in the tunnel. (the tube driver announcement was all too legible to be a real tube, and he was to polite, but that isn't even the point) then billy starts irritating the carriage, but looking at the map, getting agitated, etc etc, and a fella opposite him asks him to calm down. anyway this goes on for a while till people start moving, and billy gets more wound up, then they start speaking softly to each other, billy ends up losing it and the bloke loses it and says he should be more thoughtfull as its the 5th anniversary of 9/11. then billy feels guilty and breaks down telling this stranger of his problems. then the stranger tells some deep hurt story as well and then the tube starts moving as the signal is now green and they both go on about their journeys.

utter pish.

Comments

• lol,i hadn't watched eastenders this decade and flicking through the channels was this incident.it was car crash tv and i couldn't look away.eventually diggingthe older guy out and going on about him being lost and scared in his way through the east end coz he had a fancy suit on.

managed to break out of the trance when the older guy asks if he has had a bad day.cherry for everyone involved.
  • I remember one time watching EastEnders and hearing Plaistow pronounced "Play-stow". By Pauline Fowler.

Ooops.
  • didn't see it, but whenever Eastenders try to do anything different than 'being in the pub' or 'being in the market' it becomes cringeable.

The worst / greatest was when they went on a trip to Ireland, cue thick paddies, and awful accents. Hilarious.
  • were there leprechauns in the background? i've never been to ireland and thats what i expect to see when I go.....
  • Cannot understand what anyone sees in the programme, complete tosh stopped watching it when they killed off the only decent character Dirty Den the first time.
  • Last time I watched a whole episode was when Mary the Punk and Lofty were still in it.........

Life can be depressing enough without Eastenders to add to your feeling of woe!
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]how this escaped my thoughts earlier on i'll never know, but did any of you closet benders fans watch it last night?

pardon me if i'm offending anyone, but did anyone else cringe the whole way through the 20 min tube scene?? not only was billy seen to be an oik who no one would dare talk to, but they name places, slag off parts of the area, and it was so fake it was unreal. I didn't think it could get any worse, when they brought up the 9/11 atrocities. now, i'm not trying to be unsympathetic, but it strikes me, that there was some ulterior motive to this being mentioned. perhaps trying to educate the uneducated population that watch eastenders and believe stuff like that really happens, and remind them of what an awful day it really was, but i really can't help thinking it wasn't done in the best of taste, and i couldn't wait for it to end.

for those that didn't see it, billy mitchell has found out his daughter has downs syndrome and he's finding it hard to take in. he gets on a tube to travel home to see his wife and the tube gets stuck in the tunnel. (the tube driver announcement was all too legible to be a real tube, and he was to polite, but that isn't even the point) then billy starts irritating the carriage, but looking at the map, getting agitated, etc etc, and a fella opposite him asks him to calm down. anyway this goes on for a while till people start moving, and billy gets more wound up, then they start speaking softly to each other, billy ends up losing it and the bloke loses it and says he should be more thoughtfull as its the 5th anniversary of 9/11. then billy feels guilty and breaks down telling this stranger of his problems. then the stranger tells some deep hurt story as well and then the tube starts moving as the signal is now green and they both go on about their journeys.

utter pish.

Thanks Suzi, I can delete that episode from Sky+ now..... Half an hour saved.

;-)
  • now thats sadder than me watching it at the proper time. i'd never record it to watch it later!!!!!
  • I actually watched The Long Good Friday - hoorah for free FIlm4.

I cannot believe that "Charlie the nurse from Casualty" was exactly the same (and thus just as rubbish) 25 years ago - his whole repertoire consists of an awkward walk, a puzzled looking face and slight eyebrow movement. Pants!
  • spooky, i didnt see your post.

i ddid think what a crap actor when i was watching him.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]spooky, i didnt see your post.

yes!

I suppose after reading what Suzi had watched we thought about what we had watched ... in which case slightly less spooksville ....
  • remember watching him in casualty once and noticing his inability to look at the person he's talking to in the eye and forever looking everywhere else but. once i noticed it, i couldnt stop and then had to stop watching casualty. this is talking years ago.
    same goes for:
    cat deeley and her wonky mouth
    richard keys and his small mouth
    and alan shearer when appearing on soccer sunday in his light grey teflon suit that is farrrrr too tight for him to sit with his legs apart....
  • it was funny watching him say to Helen Mirren "I want to lick every inch of yoyur body"!!
  • Haven't watched it for ages but hard hitting tonight.
    Scene at the end with real relatives of people who have been lost to knife crime.
  • Haven't watched it for ages but hard hitting tonight.
    Scene at the end with real relatives of people who have been lost to knife crime.

Last time I watched it there were no Eastern Europeans and no Africans, have the writers been to the east end lately?
  • edited July 2018
    buckshee said:

Haven't watched it for ages but hard hitting tonight.

Last time I watched it there were no Eastern Europeans and no Africans, have the writers been to the east end lately?
    There is an Eastern European Nanny(or there was when I last watched it about 6 months ago)

Bit of a Would Ya as well

Edit: Apparently she is Norweigan(so not eastern european after all)

But still would ya

• Salad said:

it was funny watching him say to Helen Mirren "I want to lick every inch of yoyur body"!!

Who, Alan shearer?
  • They all supported Walford Town in Arthur and Pete's day. Never hear about them now. Noticed Ian Beale is still around, and now looks older than his mum Kathy. There appears to be about 15 members of that awful Slater family living in that two up, two down terrace.
  • caught a little of the funeral where they had interviews throughout with families effected by knife crime which I thought was a nice touch.

oh and paulie, hardly a would ya more like a who wouldn't.
  • I love the fact that all of these market traders can afford to live in the £1m Victorian houses around the square.
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:

I love the fact that all of these market traders can afford to live in the £1m Victorian houses around the square.

The whole thing's completely out of touch with reality. Why has the Queen Vic not been either converted into flats or turned into a gastropub?

Why does the square got have an artisan bakery and a hipster cafe?!

Not watched it properly for about 15 years, but I presume it's still the only district in London that doesn't have a curry house, a Chinese takeaway or a kebab shop.

Ridiculous.
  • MrLargo said:

Addickted said:

I love the fact that all of these market traders can afford to live in the £1m Victorian houses around the square.

The whole thing's completely out of touch with reality. Why has the Queen Vic not been either converted into flats or turned into a gastropub?

Not watched it properly for about 15 years, but I presume it's still the only district in London that doesn't have a curry house, a Chinese takeaway or a kebab shop.

Ridiculous.
    They had a curry house but it went bust.

They have a chicken shop
  • edited July 2018
    Is the launderette still there or have people living in the square now realised it's 2018 and bought their own washing machine?

Also last time i watched it (a good few years ago) there was never anything like a barbers or charity shop. Pretty unrealistic.
  • Is the launderette still there or have people living in the square now realised it's 2018 and bought their own washing machine?

Also last time i watched it (a good few years ago) there was never anything like a barbers or charity shop. Pretty unrealistic.

Needs a bloke unlocking mobile phones and fixing cracked screens too. Maybe even selling vapes
  • Croydon said:

Is the launderette still there or have people living in the square now realised it's 2018 and bought their own washing machine?

Needs a bloke unlocking mobile phones and fixing cracked screens too. Maybe even selling vapes
    Winston in the market must be able to do that!

Watched it for about 10 years and i still wasn't sure what he actually sold.
  • MrLargo said:

Addickted said:

Ridiculous.
    They had a curry house but it went bust.

They have a chicken shop
    Just to put this into context, Catford has a gastro pub, an Irish pub, a Japanese restaurant, a Vietnamese, Italian, a number of good Turkish restaurants, Little Nan's cocktail bar and a couple of high end coffee shops. That's just the tip of the iceberg as well.

Idea for a new storyline in Eastenders - Phil Mitchell and Ian Beale join forces with a plot to firebomb the local planning department after becoming frustrated at its outdated and bureaucratic methods, which used stifled local development and lead to the area falling significantly behind other parts of London in terms of regeneration.
  • Croydon said:

Great question. Got a neighbour who was in Enders for a few years, if I bump into her I'll ask.
  • Croydon said:

I’m sure Winston had a second hand record stall that seemed to only sell reggae. As only a bloke called Winston could apparently. Then it all went a bit wrong when he started to get a bit too over familiar with the female extras.
  • It’s a square, not a high street.
  • Big Ron was the best extra. There's one who's the spitting image of Ron Jeremy who gets in the Queen Vic.