Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gin

On the strength of the whiskey thread I thought it might be worth seeing if there are any gin loving Lifers. For my birthday yesterday I got the book 101 Gins to try before you die. Mrs Stig knows that with my competitive instincts I'll be all out to finish the lot and she started me out with a couple of lovely bottles: Pollinator from Wales and Ki No Bi from Japan. Anyone else love their gin? Any that you'd recommend? Anyone working through the 101?

Comments

• Like gin, like it too much to be an dedicated aficionado would kill me too fast.

Can recommend the Bathrltub that they sell down the River Ale Bar. Also lots of basically good rhubarb and ginger guns like the Whitley Neill.

Would personally steer clear of the Opihr oriental spiced gin which has been hanging around unfruitful I because I find it difficult to drink, fairly unusual occurrence.
  • I like gin but I find it has a depressant affect so I avoid it . I’m not the only one who says that .
  • The Botanist, made by bruichladdich in Islay just to keep the whisky theme. Superb. Pretty widely available as well. There's a Spanish one called Gin Mare that's great as well
  • Just started to get into gin. Will let you know how I’m doing in a few months. Currently drinking Malfy lemon gin.
  • Gin Mare and Monkey 47 are decent gins, also look out for Scapegrace gin
  • Gunpowder Gin from Drumshanbo, Leitim, Ireland has won many awards in its few short years.
  • Hendricks is my personal favourite.

Any Gin enthusiasts should visit The Ginstitute.

https://www.theginstitute.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9vCuyd7V3gIVT7ftCh32vQKBEAAYASAAEgJPLvD_BwE

Well worth it.
  • I love gin. I also love gin to taste of gin and not rhubarb, elderflower, cherry, mint or palma violets. I like my gin strong, export strength; at least 47% and not 37.5% as many in the UK are. Favourites are Beefeater Export and Tanqueray No.10. A new one I've discovered is Marylebone which is made my Greenalls. It's rather expensive but comes in at a juicy 50.2 ABV.
    I like my gin with lots of ice and tonic water. Schweppes Indian Tonic water. I find all this Fever Tree stuff far too floral, I like my tonic to taste like...tonic.
    As for fruit it has to be a slice of fresh lemon, they are the yellow ones. Never lime. Lime is for rum.
  • Puerto de Indias with hibiscus tonic is my recent discovery here. Absolutely love it and the hangovers are relatively forgiving.
  • Hendricks is my personal favourite.

Any Gin enthusiasts should visit The Ginstitute.

https://www.theginstitute.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9vCuyd7V3gIVT7ftCh32vQKBEAAYASAAEgJPLvD_BwE

Well worth it.

It looked interesting but £120 for a three hour experience is a little out of my league. Anyway I'm too busy making incense sticks out of £50 notes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Riviera said:

I love gin. I also love gin to taste of gin and not rhubarb, elderflower, cherry, mint or palma violets. I like my gin strong, export strength; at least 47% and not 37.5% as many in the UK are. Favourites are Beefeater Export and Tanqueray No.10. A new one I've discovered is Marylebone which is made my Greenalls. It's rather expensive but comes in at a juicy 50.2 ABV.
    I like my gin with lots of ice and tonic water. Schweppes Indian Tonic water. I find all this Fever Tree stuff far too floral, I like my tonic to taste like...tonic.
    As for fruit it has to be a slice of fresh lemon, they are the yellow ones. Never lime. Lime is for rum.

With you on the tonic water. In fact, and I might be out on a limb here, but I'd go as far as to say that splashing out on a decent tonic is more important than getting more expensive gins.

Cheers for the lime in rum thread, I've never thought of doing that. Time for a new thread I think: Rum
  • The Tanqueray Sevilla (made with oranges, obviously) is very good with a slice of orange, ice and a Fevertree lite tonic. Also partial to a Bombay Sapphire with ice, lime and a plain tonic. So many to choose from now. My local micro-pub in Herne Bay as around 40 different ones.
  • Try the Old Bakery, has a decent back story and the bloke that makes it is interesting
  • I read this blind tasting report that said matching the gin and tonic is really important. Mixing a flavoursome gin with a fairly neutral tonic like Schweppes or a cheap gin like Gordon's with a premium tonic like ever tree works well, but not the fancy gin with fancy tonic, as it muddles the flavours.
  • Always Tanqueray until I discovered Silent Pool. On tonic water, if you try them neat, Schweppes has a bitter twang and Fevertree is more sour than bitter. With a slice of lemon not sure it's possible to tell any difference.
  • Tarquins gin for me.

.... all this flavoured gin shite should be banned
  • www.rockgin.rocks

Sampled this I Cornwall, I was amazing alone with tonic and with grapefruit any way it was stunning
  • There's a nice gin bar near me, favourites include a French pink pepper one, and a Cuban one that has been aged in rum barrels. Can't remember their names though.
  • Monkey 47 as someone else said. Made in the Black Forest with 47 botanicals. Serve with Fevertree Elderflower tonic, plus berries (raspberries, blackberries, strawberries) instead of lemon or lime. The berries swell up with the alcohol and taste great when you get to the end of the drink.
  • Waitrose/John Lewis is/are selling a gin advent calendar for 60 quid. 24 different ready mixed g&ts. Sounds like a plan although drinking first thing in the morning before going to work would probably be a slippery slope best avoided. For evening opening methinks.
  • Sponsored links:

• I like gin but I find it has a depressant affect so I avoid it . I’m not the only one who says that .

Most gins start life as vodka. Could it be possible that it's one of the botanicals that is making you depressed?

I'd always been told that it makes you sin. I've always wondered why my wife keeps the brandy out of sight.
  • Just bought some Munich gin called "the Duke". Part of me thinks I'm going to be disappointed, but I hope not.
  • Monkey 47 is my tipple.
  • Isle of Wight Mermaid Gin is lovely

https://www.isleofwightdistillery.com/wight-mermaids-gin/

I like the FeverTree Mediterranean tonic.
  • I’ve always been a gin bird, even when it wasn’t fashionable.
    I’m with Riviera in respect of the tonic. Never got the Fever Tree euphoria as it distracted too much from the gin.
    Was always a Schweppes tonic bird until moving to Eire & trying Aldi’s own tonic & now I find that works well with any gin, whether you choose to put anything in it from ice to half a tree.
    My all time favourite is Greenalls, which I can’t get over here :(
    But The Gunpowder is fast becoming my favourite.
    Tanquery No 10, Bombay Sapphire, Hendricks & Wild Burrow are all up there too.
    Rhubarb, ginger, cinnamon sticks, cucumbers should all be avoided imo.
    Ice, a slice of lemon & Bobs yer Uncle.
    Slainte :smile:
  • Tanqueray and Bombay are certainly above Gordons and supermarket own brands but who has done a taste test? Or blind tasting Schweppes vs Fever Tree vs home brand?

As @Riviera mentions, the temperature is key - ice cold for me. And one can throw in any manner of additional flavourings. Cucumber and pepper with Hendricks just works! We can be sure that there is all manner of combinations and blurb on the web - all links welcome. Fevertree certainly look to marry their various tonics with different brands as part of the marketing. They did give us the idea of throwing in a slice of grapefruit.
  • Evil Evil drink lol....Hendricks my fav
  • Waitrose/John Lewis is/are selling a gin advent calendar for 60 quid. 24 different ready mixed g&ts. Sounds like a plan although drinking first thing in the morning before going to work would probably be a slippery slope best avoided. For evening opening methinks.

Or open them all at once on Christmas morning - your family will love it.
  • I think Tanqueray is the best of the big brands - did a tasting evening a few years ago, and it came out top by miles. I think its even better than Tanqueray 10. There are hundreds of gins out there but very few have been better than Tanqueray in my opinion, though I like the variations and use of local ingredients.

Re tonic, I find schweppes undrinkable, it has a horrible artificial chemical aftertaste, and I can tell immediately. If a pub only has it I wont order gin. Fevertree is decent in plain form and even Tesco's premium version isnt bad.

But though Im a smiley, sleepy drunk, there is something in gin that makes me snappy and tetchy so I keep it to one, well diluted, so I dont get my head punched in