Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Valley Hatricks

Comments

• Mike Flanagan also got a hat trick against Chelsea in April 1977, six months before he repeated the trick against Spurs at the Valley. Those were the days.
  • 7 (or 6) hat tricks at The Valley in 24 years shows they don't come round too often. Is Josh Magennis already a cult hero?
  • edited January 2017
    Oggy Red said:

And another 3 in a 6-0 win against Swansea a few weeks earlier, I think - somebody might want to correct me there?

I'm afraid Mike Flanagan didn't score against Swansea that season. According to Colin Cameron's "Home and Away" book the goal scorers were Peter Reeves, Arthur Horsfield (2), David Shipperley (2) and Paul Davies. I was there but could not remember all of the goal scorers without looking them up. I do remember Flanagan getting his four goals against Notts County though. County went on to finish second.

• Let's not forget Johnny Summers 5 goals in the greatest fightback in football history.
    I think Hudds are still the only League team to score 6 goals and lose .
  • Let's not forget Johnny Summers 5 goals in the greatest fightback in football history.

Didn't Summers get 5 goals twice in a match?
  • edited January 2017

Oggy Red said:

And another 3 in a 6-0 win against Swansea a few weeks earlier, I think - somebody might want to correct me there?

I'm afraid Mike Flanagan didn't score against Swansea that season. According to Colin Cameron's "Home and Away" book the goal scorers were Peter Reeves, Arthur Horsfield (2), David Shipperley (2) and Paul Davies. I was there but could not remember all of the goal scorers without looking them up. I do remember Flanagan getting his four goals against Notts County though. County went on to finish second.

Fair enough. I was also at both games (both night games, a few weeks apart) but thought Flash had scored in both.

Oh well, there you go; the memory plays a few tricks even though it was nearly 45 years ago.

:confused:
  • Oggy Red said:

I remember seeing Ray Treacy scoring 3 in a 5-1 thrashing of Hull City at The Valley, 2nd Div, May 1968.

Derek Hales, all 3 away to Cardiff, 3-0 win opening game of the season about 1983.

4 goal Mike Flanagan doing his stuff in a 6-1 win against League leaders Notts County in 1972.

Jim Melrose v Everton (who won the title later that season) at Shithurst in Div 1 in 1986.

Top of my head. There'll be loads of others. Oh yes, I know I'm an old git.

Killer also got hatricks against Halifax, Luton, Fulham and I think Hull? including the famous goal of the season on TV
  • MrLargo said:

Deon Burton in a 4-1 victory vs Norwich on the final day of the season, enabling the Canaries to join us in League 1 the following season.

Kevin Lisbie, live on the telly against the Scousers.

I didn't realise Deon Burton played in the championship, I always thought he was just a L1 player for us!
    Think Parky signed him shortly after taking over from Pardew, so had about half a season in the Championship. I remember slating him on here when we signed him as his goalscoring record was pretty poor, but he ended up being a very good signing.

Scored twice in one game against Millwall, not many Charlton players who can say that (although obviously we still failed to win, despite playing against 10 men for more than half the match).
  • Blucher said:

Mike Flanagan also got a hat trick against Chelsea in April 1977, six months before he repeated the trick against Spurs at the Valley. Those were the days.

Was that the night game we hammered them 4-0?

And the Chelsea were a bit upset and tried to set fire to The Valley Club?

• Think Hales got a hat trick against Brentford in a second leg League Cup tie, we won 5-0 with Paul Walsh getting the other two.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2017
    LenGlover said:

Let's not forget Johnny Summers 5 goals in the greatest fightback in football history.

Didn't Summers get 5 goals twice in a match?
    Not the same match Len :wink: but he scored five at home against Pomey 7-4 on 1/10/60 I was there, Jimmy Dickenson played for them who were top of league and unbeaten.
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/11217/the-week-that-was-1st-october-1960-charlton-7-portsmouth-4
  • Paul Williams got a hatrick as a Charlton player, but on loan I think.
  • Did Killer score hat-tricks against Fulham H 3-2 & Soton H 6-2. Roughly 1975/6 ?

Home and Away has a hat-trick section (pages 497-505) covering all levels. Killer's four League h-ts (each one three goals) were all scored at The Valley - Halifax 18 Mar 75, Fulham 17 Feb 76, Luton 10 Sep 76 and Hull 9 Oct 76.
    Not sure which game but I do remember him scoring the perfect hatrick. Right foot, Left foot and a header. I suspect my mind is fogging over thinking they were all scored in front of the Covered End
  • iaitch said:

Think Hales got a hat trick against Brentford in a second leg League Cup tie, we won 5-0 with Paul Walsh getting the other two.

Didn't Walsh get 3 and Hales 2?
  • iaitch said:

Think Hales got a hat trick against Brentford in a second leg League Cup tie, we won 5-0 with Paul Walsh getting the other two.

12 Aug 80 FLC1 (2nd leg) at The Valley CAFC 5-0 Brentford Walsh 28' 72' 83' Hales 38' 87'
  • iaitch said:

12 Aug 80 FLC1 (2nd leg) at The Valley CAFC 5-0 Brentford Walsh 28' 72' 83' Hales 38' 87'
    Walsh's debut? Certainly the youngest to ever score a hatrick, I think he was only 18.
  • iaitch said:

Walsh's debut? Certainly the youngest to ever score a hatrick, I think he was only 18.
    No. Paul Walsh made his debut towards the end of the disastrous 79/80 season. I certainly remember him lighting up the last two home games vs QPR and Swansea.
  • I think Vic Halom scored a hat trick for the reserves against Fulham at the Valley. No idea about the score (except that we scored three or more).
  • Oggy Red said:

Blucher said:

Mike Flanagan also got a hat trick against Chelsea in April 1977, six months before he repeated the trick against Spurs at the Valley. Those were the days.

Was that the night game we hammered them 4-0?

And the Chelsea were a bit upset and tried to set fire to The Valley Club?

It was, indeed, 4-0 and Chelsea fans somehow started a fire in the Covered End. I think you're right, they also had a go at the Valley Club. They also bricked the 177 bus that my dad and I were on, going back towards Plumstead. Quite a few old people were on board, coming back from bingo in Greenwich, and they were very badly shake, indeedn. It was extremely fortunate that no one was seriously injured. What a despicable shower.
  • Sponsored links:

• iaitch said:

Thank you for correcting me.
  • I think Vic Halom scored a hat trick for the reserves against Fulham at the Valley. No idea about the score (except that we scored three or more).

That slightly overweight left-back we had got a hat-trick in the '90s in a reserve game. Was that at The Valley?
  • For Oggy Red

Ray Treacy also scored Hat Trick away at Hull City late 60s you or Pete must nave been to that game.
  • Super Clive 1st game in the prem v Southampton won 5-0
  • edited January 2017
    Superclive got one on my wedding day against Barnsley! First game of the season and I missed it! Did get a commentary during the reception though! Video shows me punching the air when told of goals!

That ball looks great. Johnny Summers was clearly a great player for us and a tragedy he lost his life so young.
  • Good day to bump this.
  • LenGlover said:

RedChaser said:

One for the old timers didn't Cliff Holton get one (on debut?) In a 4-1 away win at Ipswich Feb 1966 or am I dreaming :open_mouth: .

Did he get a hat-trick against Preston in our 5-2 win at The Valley?

He certainly dominated that match and I remember him scoring (alongside a diving header from Keith Peacock) at least one that day.
    CH scored twice, as did Keith Peacock, and Mike Kenning bagged one. An 11.30 kick-off on Good Friday. My only memory of the goals is when the tall Holton lolloped through a flat-footed Preston defence to blast the ball in - I think it was the first goal of the match.
    I thought the Preston game was an evening kick off? That’s if we are talking the one where we got promoted?
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Hat-tricks since returning to The Valley:

Garry Nelson v Peterborough (April 94)
    Super Clive v Southampton (Aug 98)
    Andy Hunt v Stockport (Sep 99)
    Super Clive v Barnsley (Aug 99)
    Kevin Lisbie v Liverpool (Sep 03)
    Deon Burton v Norwich (May 09)
    Yaya Sanogo v Reading (Feb 16)*
    Josh Maggenis v Bristol Rovers (Jan 17)

*definitely wasn't a hat-trick

Away hat-tricks since 1992:

Carl Leaburn v Ipswich (Sep 95)
    Lee Bowyer v Wimbledon (Sep 95)
    Super Clive v Norwich (Sep 97)??
    Super Clive v Sunderland (May 98)
    Andy Hunt v Norwich (Jan 2000)
    Andy Hunt v Stockport (Feb 2000)
    Sunderland own goals (Feb 03)
    Bradley Wright-Phillips v Chesterfield (Feb 12)
    Callum Harriott v Blackpool (May 14)
    Marvin Sordell v Sheff Wednesday (April 14)

Total club hat-tricks since 1992: 17
    Cristiano Ronaldo career hat-tricks: 39

Have I missed any?

***Updated as per following comments. Not certain when Clive's Norwich hat trick was. Did Hunt definitely score three hat-tricks that season?

Toby Stevenson Stevenage
    Ricky Holmes at Shews
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Hat-tricks since returning to The Valley:

Garry Nelson v Peterborough (April 94)
    Super Clive v Southampton (Aug 98)
    Andy Hunt v Stockport (Sep 99)
    Super Clive v Barnsley (Aug 99)
    Kevin Lisbie v Liverpool (Sep 03)
    Deon Burton v Norwich (May 09)
    Yaya Sanogo v Reading (Feb 16)*
    Josh Maggenis v Bristol Rovers (Jan 17)

*definitely wasn't a hat-trick

Away hat-tricks since 1992:

Carl Leaburn v Ipswich (Sep 95)
    Lee Bowyer v Wimbledon (Sep 95)
    Super Clive v Norwich (Sep 97)??
    Super Clive v Sunderland (May 98)
    Andy Hunt v Norwich (Jan 2000)
    Andy Hunt v Stockport (Feb 2000)
    Sunderland own goals (Feb 03)
    Bradley Wright-Phillips v Chesterfield (Feb 12)
    Callum Harriott v Blackpool (May 14)
    Marvin Sordell v Sheff Wednesday (April 14)

Total club hat-tricks since 1992: 17
    Cristiano Ronaldo career hat-tricks: 39

Have I missed any?

***Updated as per following comments. Not certain when Clive's Norwich hat trick was. Did Hunt definitely score three hat-tricks that season?

Toby Stevenson Stevenage
    Ricky Holmes at Shews
    Fosu Fleetwood
  • Kevin Lisbie: only hat trick against high quality opposition. That lad could go places.