Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sky to stream midweek English Football League games after new £600m TV deal

edited September 2017 in General Charlton
Clubs will also be able to stream midweek games that aren't on Sky.

£120m deal per season compared to the current one worth £88.3m.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41239042

Sky will be able to stream midweek Championship matches after agreeing a new £600m five-year domestic rights deal with the English Football League.

All EFL clubs will be able to stream midweek league games via their websites if Sky are not broadcasting it live.

The contract will run from 2019-2024, with the value of the rights increasing by 36% from the present agreement.

Sky will also continue to broadcast the Carabao Cup, Checkatrade Trophy and play-offs until May 2024.

Matches played between 14:45 BST and 17:15 BST will continue to be blocked from live streaming.

From next season, Sky will be able to offer an interactive service for all midweek Championship fixtures.

"These negotiations came at what was an incredibly challenging period in the sale and acquisition of sports rights in the UK," said EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey.

"Having fully tested the market, we believe that not only has a significant increase in value for our clubs been achieved, but also the very best deal, with the best partner has been delivered."

The existing EFL television deal runs out at the end of the 2018-19 campaign and is worth £88.3m per season - a figure that will rise to £120m under the new terms.

A maximum of 150 EFL games will be shown per season, including 16 midweek Championship matches and a minimum of 20 League One and League Two games.

Comments

• Yet you can already do this for £5 per game with iFollow... Guess this means though we wont need a VPN for the midweek matches?

Can see Football Grounds get emptier and emptier as more and more of this happens!!
  • Premier league clubs share £5billon.
    Football league clubs share £600million

I thought BT Sport would bid?.

Why? No one wants to watch third division football. Including us!

Speak for yourself!
  • SDAddick said:

Premier league clubs share £5billon.

Speak for yourself!
    Are you happy to be in the third division? I am not ashamed to tell you that I'm not. The sooner we get out of this god awful division the better as far as I'm concerned.
  • Actually quite pleased it wasn't already available tonight...
  • An increase of about £450'000 per season per club. While I wouldn't mind it dropping into my bank account, hardly going to set the world alight in the football world, especially as I am sure it will not be distributed evenly.
  • SDAddick said:

Speak for yourself!
    Are you happy to be in the third division? I am not ashamed to tell you that I'm not. The sooner we get out of this god awful division the better as far as I'm concerned.
    Not speaking for SDAddick but was he referring to being able to watch Charlton or watch third tier Football in general.

The latest Premier League games I've seen on TV are as below and NONE of them are better than what you get to see in the Championship or League One (even League Two) at times yet SKY and the Media try to make us to believe every game is brilliant than anything that the Football League can throw up when it isnt.

West Brom v Stoke | Burnley v Palace | Swansea v Newcastle | West Ham v Huddersfield

Have seen some great Championship games on the TV this season and for watching Football in general am glad the TV Companies are putting their money into the additional Leagues, just wish the clubs would lower their ticket prices in respect of this rather than up!!
  • Yet you can already do this for £5 per game with iFollow... Guess this means though we wont need a VPN for the midweek matches?

Can see Football Grounds get emptier and emptier as more and more of this happens!!

Really? I'm not so sure, I can't imagine ever choosing to watch a game over the internet, rather than attending the actual game.
  • Sponsored links:

• for someone like me living in cardiff with a family, its a godsend. Bring it on i say.

Really? I'm not so sure, I can't imagine ever choosing to watch a game over the internet, rather than attending the actual game.
    The only time I'll choose watching a game over the Internet rather than attending is if it gets too expensive.

Watched the Rotherham game on iFollow and although it was great watching the match (and is something I'll continue doing throughout the season for away matches because I cant afford to attend) yet without any match commentary I missed the interaction that I have with the people that sit around me that I've got to know over the years of going.

No match on TV / the Internet can ever replicate that
  • SDAddick said:

Speak for yourself!
    Not speaking for SDAddick but was he referring to being able to watch Charlton or watch third tier Football in general.

The latest Premier League games I've seen on TV are as below and NONE of them are better than what you get to see in the Championship or League One (even League Two) at times yet SKY and the Media try to make us to believe every game is brilliant than anything that the Football League can throw up when it isnt.

West Brom v Stoke | Burnley v Palace | Swansea v Newcastle | West Ham v Huddersfield

Have seen some great Championship games on the TV this season and for watching Football in general am glad the TV Companies are putting their money into the additional Leagues, just wish the clubs would lower their ticket prices in respect of this rather than up!!
    I'm sure you're right about all of that. My point was that the perception of the football on offer is such that I questioned why SDAddick thought BT would have started a bidding war - especially when most weeks the Football League will be showing league games at the same time as the Champions League games that BT will be broadcasting. In fact, I'd go as far as to suggest that the only reason Sky paid so much for this package was so that they would have something to put in to complete with BT Sport and their CL coverage.

In reality the infrastructure needed to transmit all the football league games means that there is not much competition anyway.
  • The English Football League has agreed a controversial new television rights deal with Sky Sports, worth £595m.

The deal, which runs from the start of next season until May 2024, is a 35% increase on the previous contract.

But a number of the Championship's larger clubs feel it undervalues how much the rights are worth and will meet on Tuesday to discuss their next move.

One senior club executive told BBC Sport: "The EFL has just started a war."

The broadcaster will show 138 league matches a season as well as every play-off game and the Carabao Cup final.

They will also show 14 ties from the earlier rounds of the Carabao Cup and the semi-finals and final of the Checkatrade Trophy.

The list of Championship fixtures to be broadcast will include 16 on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, with an additional eight to be broadcast simultaneously.

Sky have the option to increase the number of matches to 158 in the final two years of the agreement - these games can only be taken from weekend games.

It is understood that Derby County, Leeds United and Aston Villa are among the clubs opposed to the new contract.

Leeds chairman Andrea Radrizzani, who also owns broadcaster ElevenSports, has previously criticised the current deal, saying clubs are not getting enough money for games which are shown on live television.

BBC Sport understands that the nine-member EFL Board unanimously agreed to the deal, including representatives of three Championship clubs, Reading, Brentford and Bristol City.

The deal covers the Championship, League One and League Two, with the money split between all 72 clubs depending on which division they are in.

Not surprised that Leeds aren't happy, given that of the 138 live games, they're probably involved in 15% of them!
  • edited November 2018
    Are the bigger clubs against the deal just on the amount, or is it because the money will be shared equally per league?

I do agree with them on the amount and have said on here before that the Championship is really under sold and offers much more competitive and interesting games than the Premiership in my opinion.

However, this cutting edge could soon be lost if the so called bigger clubs gain yet another advantage by way of more TV money. Clubs already have to compete against clubs with parachute payments, and bigger clubs will have larger gate money and sponsorship deals.

I would like to go further than just an equal share. Exclude clubs receiving parachute payments. You can’t benefit from two TV deals at the same time!

I would also give extra payments to promoted clubs for the first two years.

I won’t hold my breath.
  • Scoham said:

Clubs will also be able to stream midweek games that aren't on Sky.

£120m deal per season compared to the current one worth £88.3m.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41239042

Sky will be able to stream midweek Championship matches after agreeing a new £600m five-year domestic rights deal with the English Football League.

All EFL clubs will be able to stream midweek league games via their websites if Sky are not broadcasting it live.

The contract will run from 2019-2024, with the value of the rights increasing by 36% from the present agreement.

Sky will also continue to broadcast the Carabao Cup, Checkatrade Trophy and play-offs until May 2024.

Matches played between 14:45 BST and 17:15 BST will continue to be blocked from live streaming.

From next season, Sky will be able to offer an interactive service for all midweek Championship fixtures.

"These negotiations came at what was an incredibly challenging period in the sale and acquisition of sports rights in the UK," said EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey.

"Having fully tested the market, we believe that not only has a significant increase in value for our clubs been achieved, but also the very best deal, with the best partner has been delivered."

The existing EFL television deal runs out at the end of the 2018-19 campaign and is worth £88.3m per season - a figure that will rise to £120m under the new terms.

A maximum of 150 EFL games will be shown per season, including 16 midweek Championship matches and a minimum of 20 League One and League Two games.

149 Leeds games.
  • The Championship clubs have overplayed their hands I reckon. Sky were the only bidders for the rights, BT aren't interested or don't care, there only worth what their worth, and yeah the Premier League is worth £xxx bn a year, but it's the Premier League, and broadcasters want the best possible product!
  • I think the big EFL clubs threatening to rebel have completely missed the point - the Premier League rights have been used by Sky (and more latterly BT) as a loss-leader to drive market share gains for their broader TV/broadband offering. Moreover if the big six had their way then these rights would not be distributed anything like they are now because neutral fans don't really value the ability to watch the other fourteen clubs playing against one another, and there aren't enough actual fans of these clubs to justify the TV money they earn.

Just looking at the headline figure for these rights and declaring that the big Championship clubs are undervalued is daft as no rational broadcaster would ever use the EFL rights as a loss leader (the last broadcaster to try it was ITV Digital which ended rather badly).

• The other thing here is the Premier League think these clubs need to get back in their boxes, they don't want PL2, it offers nothing to the Premier League.
  • They know more people watch them on TV so they want more money. I'd tell them to form their own league and see where that leaves them!
  • Sponsored links:

• I think the big EFL clubs threatening to rebel have completely missed the point - the Premier League rights have been used by Sky (and more latterly BT) as a loss-leader to drive market share gains for their broader TV/broadband offering.

Absolutely right. BT are even scaling back their investment in football, they're beginning to reach a point where it's not worth it.

Sky and the various Murdoch outlets have worked hard to create an 'ecosystem' for Premiere League football, where betting and Fantasy Football, plus podcasts and press/ magazines etc. get people to care about Bournemouth vs West Ham. That ain't going to happen for the EFL. Only the fans care about Birmingham vs Reading, so viewing figures are going to be in the 100ks. There's barely any sponsorship or advertising revenue to pick from there.

Really interested in the online mid-week stuff. As someone who lives an hour away from Charlton, I would, to my shame, almost definitely choose to watch at home on a Tuesday night than leave work early, get on the M25 in the dark and the rain and trudge to the match from a parking spot two miles away.
  • edited November 2018
    Um we already have live streaming of matches via clubs websites, called I follow - it’s just Charlton opted out