Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

PAUL MORTIMER

Congratulations to Charlton legend Paul Mortimer, who this week was elected to the Board of Directors of the London Football Association and will now have an important part to play in shaping the future of grassroots football in London. Since hanging up his boots in 2001, Paul has turned his hand to coaching, was for 5 years the Technical Director of Women's and Girl's Football at Charlton, is a sports broadcaster and has an important role as Educator for 'Show Racism the Red Card'. Check out his new appointment on www.londonfa.com.

And don't forget Paul and the great Carl Leaburn will be guests of Bromley Addicks when they next meet on 7th December. All are welcome. free admission.

Comments

• Isn't there a Charlton fan on the LFA board already, @killerjerrylee ?
  • And 2 Millwall fans
  • Morts - mazey run and goal at Sellout Park in a night match.
    Always an exciting player to watch and a "game changer".
    Love Morts.
  • A big congrats to our Morts.
  • Morts - mazey run and goal at Sellout Park in a night match.
    Always an exciting player to watch and a "game changer".
    Love Morts.

Notts County?

• I had the absolute pleasure of chatting at length to this gentleman on the upbeats charity walk recently. Congratulations to you sir.
  • Class act on and off the pitch
  • Sponsored links:

• brilliant player - the mattadore action in the win at millwall in the snow being a particular favourite
  • Moderate sex wee feeling. Congratulations god.
  • Great bloke! Proper Charlton. Rememeber his goal at Highbury in the 2-2 draw?
  • One of my all time Charlton heroes.
    Congregations !!!
  • I prefer him on Just a Minute to Have I Got News for You.
  • I appreciate I am asking a lot (as I am useless at tech things and wouldn't know where to look!), but does anyone have or could create a Mortimer montage of goals that would be great. Imagine being able to see the Norwich goal, bradford goal, notts county goal, chelsea goal, arsenal goal, wolves (long range shot??) goal, man city goal etc etc all in one place??!!!

Oh my god, he was god.

• Was the most talented in East 17 by far.
  • Just spoke most eloquently on SSN re the issue of sexuality within the game and what needs to be done to improve understanding. Well done Morts.
  • Sponsored links:

• ozaddick said:

I had the absolute pleasure of chatting at length to this gentleman on the upbeats charity walk recently. Congratulations to you sir.

I'm not sure it was what you'd call a pleasure, but I was having a pee next to him in the old supporters club behind the North Stand at the player of the season do, must have been around 1990.
  • Croydon said:

ozaddick said:

I had the absolute pleasure of chatting at length to this gentleman on the upbeats charity walk recently. Congratulations to you sir.

I'm not sure it was what you'd call a pleasure, but I was having a pee next to him in the old supporters club behind the North Stand at the player of the season do, must have been around 1990 inches
    Blimey

blimey
  • edited November 2018
    Several former Charlton players featured in a documentary on racism in football in the 1980s and 90s on Radio 4 last night. The presenter, Clarke Carlisle, posited that black players responded to racism in the dressing room and on the terraces in one of two ways: either they rose above it and ignored it, or they fought back.

John Barnes, who played for us briefly at the end of his career, was in the former camp. A banana thrown onto the pitch was disdainfully back-heeled. Barnes said he took pleasure in knowing that his abusers were working-class, while he was middle-class, having been brought up in Highgate; his father worked in Mayfair. In contrast, Paul Mortimer confronted racism whenever possible; along with Ian Wright, he wanted to jump into the stand and beat up his abusers.

Garth Crooks (with us from 1987-90) was at Stoke when Batson, Regis and Cunningham - 'The Three Degrees' - were gracing West Brom. Crooks said he felt isolated at Stoke, wished he was playing with the Baggies instead, and watched them at every opportunity.
  • Norwich away, Highbury, Chelsea and countless others. Shame it didn’t work out for him at Villa - I like to think he was too good for them.
  • Several former Charlton players featured in a documentary on racism in football in the 1980s and 90s on Radio 4 last night. The presenter, Clarke Carlisle, posited that black players responded to racism in the dressing room and on the terraces in one of two ways: either they rose above it and ignored it, or they fought back.

John Barnes, who played for us briefly at the end of his career, was in the former camp. A banana thrown onto the pitch was disdainfully back-heeled. Barnes said he took pleasure in knowing that his abusers were working-class, while he was middle-class, having been brought up in Highgate; his father worked in Mayfair. In contrast, Paul Mortimer confronted racism whenever possible; along with Ian Wright, he wanted to jump into the stand and beat up his abusers.

Garth Crooks (with us from 1987-90) was at Stoke when Batson, Regis and Cunningham - 'The Three Degrees' - were gracing West Brom. Crooks said he felt isolated at Stoke, wished he was playing with the Baggies instead, and watched them at every opportunity.

bit of a coincidence that you post that this weekend. just yesterday the Ebbsfleet keeper got racially abused and he jumped straight into the stand after the game to take on the Boreham wood supporters.
  • Morts said he was racially abused at half time of a Charlton v Everton game by two other Charlton players (not named).

The manager spoke to him on the Monday which Paul didn't think was right but the manager did drop one of the players for the next game.
  • Love Morts. Hero.
  • edited November 2018
    Remember a great goal from Morts in a 4 1 beating of Bradford at TV, when Steve Brown scored from 30 yards. Also the Mortimer tackle where he would slide in and hook the ball away from the opponent to regain possession. Great to watch.
  • Lots of very good memories of Morts. Could take a very good penalty too.