Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Claudio Ranieri - New Fulham Manager

Back in the Premier League @ the Cottage, will he keep them up?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46205801

Comments

• He's fallen on his feet there alright. No.
  • Can't see any dilly ding there.
    Team too poor, especially the defence.
  • Dilly ding dilly dong
  • I honestly think he fluked the title win with Leicester partly thanks to the staff he had around him

Dont think he's much better than an Allardyce / Pardew type appointment to be honest

Really? What about what he did at Chelsea, especially before Russian money??
  • Think it's harsh on the now former Fulham manager whose name I'm not going to try to spell. He's a good coach and got them up playing with a certain style and system that I can't see Ranieri continuing. This is something that feels shortsighted. Fulham seem to be a pretty well run club, I'm a little surprised they didn't make an appointment that seemed more of a continuity in system. I guess systems and styles are overrated if you can stay in the Prem (that said I'm not convinced Ranieri is the answer to keeping them in the Prem).

Still, always nice to have Ranieri about. Personality wise, he does seem to fit Fulham well.
  • edited November 2018
    JaShea99 said:

I honestly think he fluked the title win with Leicester partly thanks to the staff he had around him

Dont think he's much better than an Allardyce / Pardew type appointment to be honest

Four years under Ranieri (Pre-Abramovich): 5th | 6th | 6th | 4th...
    - Won FA Cup | League Cup

He then got them into second with the money than Abramovich brought to the table in his fifth and final year but when you compare what Chelsea did in the four years prior to him being there, he didnt really make much more of a difference

Four years Pre-Ranieri: 11th | 6th | 4th | 3rd
    - Won FA Cup | League Cup | Cup Winners Cup | Super Cup

Until Leicester he'd been in charge of Juventus (Granted first two years back in Serie A) and Inter Milan yet didnt win anything with either - Yet then does the impossible with Leicester, just cant see how that was purely down to him
  • fulham will stay up they have a decent range of players and an owner that can spend in january

cardiff
    huddersfield
    and 1 other to go down i think

hopefully palace as ive got it backed at 50/1 and they are stripey nigel wankers.
  • fulham will stay up they have a decent range of players and an owner that can spend in january

cardiff
    huddersfield

hopefully palace as ive got it backed at 50/1 and they are stripey nigel wankers.

Southampton will certainly be down there

Only teams I dont want being involved in the relegation fight that are in the bottom half at the moment are Brighton (have so much respect for their fans) | Burnley (I'm a big fan of Dyche) | Fulham (I like how Sessegnon has stayed loyal there, yes he's not set the world on fire this season with them, yet if they go down then I suspect he'll leave)
  • Sponsored links:

cardiff
    huddersfield

Do Fulham have a good team though?

There's no point having lots of attacking players if you get cut open by opponents so easily, and your defence is all over the place.
  • I honestly think he fluked the title win with Leicester partly thanks to the staff he had around him

Leicester’s season was a perfect storm of factors. Unlike Sam, Ranieri has no real form for taking a team in Fulham’s situation and hardening them up. At best he might create a positive atmosphere around the club. It’s funny to think managers aren’t fancied for a relegation scrap, only to be hired for a different relegation scrap.

I like CR a lot. But I think this is doomed to fail, which is awful news re. Palace.

Hopefully that expensively-assembled squad can do otherwise.
  • edited November 2018
    I think he'll help attract the sort of signings they'll need in January (their owner has the money) and stay up.

he wont win the league with them but he'll have them floating between 17th and 8th for a few years
  • As long as Fulham can finish above palarse that's job done.
  • I think it’s a brilliant appointment I think his man management is up there with the best in the business, he manages to bring a family feel to the table and people warm and respond to him, Fulham have some decent players they were just naive to think they could play the same open style they did in the championship, never gonna happen. Let’s see how this thread ages..
  • edited November 2018

As long as palarse get relegated that's job done.

• As long as palarse get relegated that's job done.

Anyone who finishes below Fulham will almost certainly be relegated imo.
  • As long as palarse get relegated that's job done.

Anyone who finishes below Fulham will almost certainly be relegated imo.
    To the contrary.....I think that the 2 teams immediately below them will be promoted.....
  • Fulham have spent 100 million pounds - a record for Premiership new boys - and they're still bottom of the league.

A sobering thought. I reckon it's stuff like this that have caused the Aussies to melt into the outback of beyond.
  • Sponsored links:

• JaShea99 said:

I honestly think he fluked the title win with Leicester partly thanks to the staff he had around him

Four years under Ranieri (Pre-Abramovich): 5th | 6th | 6th | 4th...
    - Won FA Cup | League Cup

He then got them into second with the money than Abramovich brought to the table in his fifth and final year but when you compare what Chelsea did in the four years prior to him being there, he didnt really make much more of a difference

Four years Pre-Ranieri: 11th | 6th | 4th | 3rd
    - Won FA Cup | League Cup | Cup Winners Cup | Super Cup

Until Leicester he'd been in charge of Juventus (Granted first two years back in Serie A) and Inter Milan yet didnt win anything with either - Yet then does the impossible with Leicester, just cant see how that was purely down to him
    This is unfair to Ranieri. You're missing out a lot of context. The season before Abramovich arrived (2002-2003), Ranieri was told he couldn't sign anyone as the club was broke, but he still managed Chelsea to a 4th place finish. Throughout his time at Chelsea under Ken Bates, he was never able to implement widescale changes to the squad, instead he had to adapt his style to the squad he had, whilst trying to keep up with the likes of Arsenal (when they used to win things), United and Liverpool. During this period even Newcastle were spending more than Chelsea on transfers.

It's too easy to look at league positions and say there was no improvement. You need to understand the context as well.
  • Didn’t Ranieri have Chelsea in the European cup semi final?

Probably not much better than them, but I think to suggest what he did was a ‘fluke’ is a bit unfair.

Doing well in the FA Cup can sometimes be a fluke, but winning the Premier League in the modern era is pretty much the ultimate achievement in club football.

Miraculous and astonishing to the point of being unbelievable, but not a fluke.
  • According to Transfermarkt, Fulham spent NET £104M on incoming transfers in the summer. That is more than any promoted team, ever. When they go down, the fire sale will be so bad that I think they get back to back relegations.
  • According to Transfermarkt, Fulham spent NET £104M on incoming transfers in the summer. That is more than any promoted team, ever. When they go down, the fire sale will be so bad that I think they get back to back relegations.
    Very wealthy owner so don’t expect a fire sale
    André Schürrle has said he will be leaving if they get relegated, Its not his choice tho haha, I know it wont happen as they will want him back, but how great would it be if Dortmund turn around in the summer and say no we wont recall you and you can see out your 2 year loan with Fulham in The Championship.
  • edited February 2019
    ct_addick said:
    According to Transfermarkt, Fulham spent NET £104M on incoming transfers in the summer. That is more than any promoted team, ever. When they go down, the fire sale will be so bad that I think they get back to back relegations.
    Won't matter. They will lose £125M in revs upon demotion and the parachute payment will leave them so underwater that they will have to sell their best players of breach rules. Given they are a terrible team, I don’t think they could get much for their best players. Except one, who all by himself is worth at least £40M.
    André Schürrle has said he will be leaving if they get relegated, Its not his choice tho haha, I know it wont happen as they will want him back, but how great would it be if Dortmund turn around in the summer and say no we wont recall you and you can see out your 2 year loan with Fulham in The Championship.
    Think there is a clause that he leaves if they get relegated
  • ct_addick said:
    According to Transfermarkt, Fulham spent NET £104M on incoming transfers in the summer. That is more than any promoted team, ever. When they go down, the fire sale will be so bad that I think they get back to back relegations.
    Won't matter. They will lose £125M in revs upon demotion and the parachute payment will leave them so underwater that they will have to sell their best players of breach rules. Given they are a terrible team, I don’t think they could get much for their best players. Except one, who all by himself is worth at least £40M.
    FFP has certainly had an effect at Villa, a club with much bigger gates than at Fulham