Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Swansea U21s match thread (Checkatrade)

Comments

• Options
    808 Morecambe is pretty decent for this shit
  • Options
    How many fans did Swansea bring last night?
  • Options

How many fans did Swansea bring last night?

• Options
    I generally care about most games we play but seeing as this one is so poorly attended by virtually all supporters of every team then I have to ask why bother.

When will a club have the balls to stand up to the EFL & say that they are not entering the stupid competition or better still simply not turn up on the night (obviously telling fans of their intentions beforehand). Like I posted earlier on the EU thread I am an advocate of people making a stand& can't abide people who don't say how it is.

• Options

I generally care about most games we play but seeing as this one is so poorly attended by virtually all supporters of every team then I have to ask why bother.

When will a club have the balls to stand up to the EFL & say that they are not entering the stupid competition or better still simply not turn up on the night (obviously telling fans of their intentions beforehand). Like I posted earlier on the EU thread I am an advocate of people making a stand& can't abide people who don't say how it is.

Something tells me we'd be in a bit of trouble by the team not turning up.
  • Options

I actually hope that a premier league sides U23s makes the final, be even better if 2 of them do, then that'd be the death of this shit and it can hopefully revert back to the old format of just league 1 and 2 sides in a knockout comp.

Also saw that the promising youngster Gareth Barry, aged 37, turned out for West Brom's under 23s last night. Another step in the right direction for promoting youth.
    The FA would probably see that as progress, as it would suggest the young players are doing well against first teams.

Pleased for Barry, the experience will help his England career in years to come.
  • Options
    is it u-21s or u-23s and do both make ups exist in club football .. basically i have no idea about anything outside first team football
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good run out for the kids 👍😷
  • Options

I actually hope that a premier league sides U23s makes the final, be even better if 2 of them do, then that'd be the death of this shit and it can hopefully revert back to the old format of just league 1 and 2 sides in a knockout comp.

Also saw that the promising youngster Gareth Barry, aged 37, turned out for West Brom's under 23s last night. Another step in the right direction for promoting youth.
    I totally agree about your point on Gareth Barry but the rest is nothing to do with the competition.Your frustration about the premier league sides who play, and want just league 1 & 2 sides. That’s fair enough as to tend to think that should never have happened, but your argument does not stack up on the vast majority of sides who think they are also premier league and just continue to field weakened teams. Until that stops then the format will die. People moan it’s rubbish but the fact is the clubs are making it rubbish. Look at the sides once they think they are in with a shout of making final - suddenly they play their first team....
    Yesterday were more debuts all of which were worthless unforgettable and may just have been just another 23 game. I say worthless that is to the player who has wanted to make his debut , who is looking around and it’s just another 23 side.

It bores me hearing league 1 & 2 mangers moaning they have players playing two games in week. Utter bullshit. They would not be moaning if it was a league game. The bottom line is it’s league one or lower - that’s the reality- smaller squads lower budgets.
    There was no excuse for Charlton to lose yesterday. Instead they made the game a 23 match exactly like their opponents. That line up is not developing the next first team player. They needed to have a better mix and use the competition to do what they all say it’s for. Neither Ajose or Marshall from what I’ve seen are ideal players in this set up.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

I totally agree about your point on Gareth Barry but the rest is nothing to do with the competition.Your frustration about the premier league sides who play, and want just league 1 & 2 sides. That’s fair enough as to tend to think that should never have happened, but your argument does not stack up on the vast majority of sides who think they are also premier league and just continue to field weakened teams. Until that stops then the format will die. People moan it’s rubbish but the fact is the clubs are making it rubbish. Look at the sides once they think they are in with a shout of making final - suddenly they play their first team....
    Yesterday were more debuts all of which were worthless unforgettable and may just have been just another 23 game. I say worthless that is to the player who has wanted to make his debut , who is looking around and it’s just another 23 side.

It bores me hearing league 1 & 2 mangers moaning they have players playing two games in week. Utter bullshit. They would not be moaning if it was a league game. The bottom line is it’s league one or lower - that’s the reality- smaller squads lower budgets.
    There was no excuse for Charlton to lose yesterday. Instead they made the game a 23 match exactly like their opponents. That line up is not developing the next first team player. They needed to have a better mix and use the competition to do what they all say it’s for. Neither Ajose or Marshall from what I’ve seen are ideal players in this set up.
    Fair point... i dont like the comp, but agree it has probably got more de-valued by teams who continue to play their reserves to focus on the league. The ironic thing is have even been focusing on the league? if we have we haven't done a very good job of it in the last few seasons :wink:
  • Options

Isn't that the reality for the majority of sides in any domestic cup competition?

Whether it's this, or premier league sides in the league or FA cups, not many are too fussed in the early rounds, then once they get to the quarters it starts to become more serious.
  • Options

If I was the club then I would enter all those who applied for a season ticket into an optional draw to be signed up as a pro for all the check a trade games.

Start the necessary 4 from the previous game, sub 3 as soon as the game kicks off and leave Ajose on.

The competition was fine when just lower league clubs, with the U23’s added it is totally demeaning and I have oft said that the day Charlton lose to Palace U23’s in a ‘first team’ game is the day I give up on football altogether.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

The FA would probably see that as progress, as it would suggest the young players are doing well against first teams.
    This!!!... Might even speed up the potential for Premier League "B" Teams in the Football League

Although when I was researching a Non-League team on Wikipedia the other day I noticed that they're in the same league as Braintree Town Reserves (Eastern Counties League D1 South); if Premier League teams want their Reserves to be in the Football League why not do what Braintree have done and put a team into the Pyramid where they wont get a rejected application, guess there will be nothing to stop them climbing the Divisions provided they cant compete against their first team?
  • Options
    How did Maynard-Brewer look in goal... Was really impressed with his shot stopping when he did that Soccer AM challenge - Jimmy Bullard certainly commented on how impressed he was with Ashley as a Goalkeeper that day
  • Options

How did Maynard-Brewer look in goal... Was really impressed with his shot stopping when he did that Soccer AM challenge - Jimmy Bullard certainly commented on how impressed he was with Ashley as a Goalkeeper that day

Did well with a couple of saves and punches. Had little chance with the goal - it went right in the corner
  • Options

Brilliant brilliant night. 2 mates didn't come meaning the 740 attendance was the lowest ever for a Charlton home league game beating the previous low of 741.
    I was there & they were not. Brilliant. :smiley:

I remember being at a full members cup game at Selhurst park against Birmingham (lived in Penge at the time) when I believe the crowd was 741 ? Stood at the Sainsbury's end and Lord Lucan was the only person in the crowd I recognized.

Bizarrely I think that was the year we played Norwich in the semi and Blackburn in the final.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Did well with a couple of saves and punches. Had little chance with the goal - it went right in the corner
    Has anyone mentioned Ajose's lazy mis-placed pass in the centre circle that led to their goal? Summed up his attitude for most of the match.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have only just discovered that we played last night (or not).
    What the actual feck?
    I’m off to give myself a right good beating.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

I’m off to give myself a right good beating.

Would you like any tissues? :wink:
  • Options

Seeing as I ain’t a geezer, i’ll just use my hand as normal ta

Obviously, its in the name... still had to put something. Maybe i should have said wet wipes :
  • Options

Brilliant brilliant night. 2 mates didn't come meaning the 740 attendance was the lowest ever for a Charlton home league game beating the previous low of 741.
    I was there & they were not. Brilliant. :smiley:

I remember being at a full members cup game at Selhurst park against Birmingham (lived in Penge at the time) when I believe the crowd was 741 ? Stood at the Sainsbury's end and Lord Lucan was the only person in the crowd I recognized.

Bizarrely I think that was the year we played Norwich in the semi and Blackburn in the final.
    It was either 817 or 821, as they were the attendances for the Bradford & Birmingham games.
  • Options

Seeing as I ain’t a geezer, i’ll just use my hand as normal ta

Obviously, its in the name... still had to put something. Maybe i should have said wet wipes :
    Get one of these mate... So much easier to dig a hole for yourself using one rather than your hands ;)

https://www.screwfix.com/c/outdoor-gardening/shovels-spades/cat840568
  • Options
    Apart from cold, what was the crowd?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Not sure what this result means or if we've gone through or not, so lets play this like a "Choose your own adventure" book:
    1) We've gone through: BRILLIANT. OH EE OH EE OH EE OH OFF TO WEMBLEY WE GO!!!! I've always said this competition was the one to watch this season 8-0. EIGHT! This is something to tell the grandkids about*. I'll always remember where I was when I saw us win 8-0--on holiday at my parents' house pretending to pay attention to a work phone call.

*You're probably going to need to explain to them what the "CheckaTrade Trophy was. And what CheckATrade was.. And if you remember that then you're already ahead of me because I've forgotten

2) We're out: To paraphrase Richard Keys: "Daft little competition, silly game, fuck off."