Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Let's talk about us and cup games...

edited November 2018 in General Charlton
Not precipitated by tonight's game but more thinking about Sunday...

There always seems to be some excuse with us... Either it's "we are concentrating on promotion" or in the prem/championship days "we don't need the extra games when we are trying to stay up" it seems to be irrespective of what manager we have. We missed out on Wembley last year. I respect that the league has to take priority and I support that, but why is there this mentality with us that it doesn't really matter if we get through just as long as it's not a replay?

I'm not saying we should be expecting to win the FA cup or anything but Milwall made a final as a championship club in recent history. I'd take a cup run of ANY sort. Watching us capitulate to Wimbledon or mk dons every year is soul destroying and I don't t think I'm alone among the rest of us in feeling that way.

Our next league game is 24th november. What possible reason can there be not to have played our strongest 11 on Sunday and then play the team Bowyer selected on Sunday for tonights game instead?

Comments

• "A Premier League team will probably win the cup and there's no reason why it shouldn't be us....."

• Historically I agree with you. Sickens me the amount of times Smallwall have had cup runs despite being nothing more than a London equivalent of Oldham Athletic but with more obnoxious fans. 2 FA Cup finals for Palace and 2 League Cup semi-finals in the time I've been following Charlton as well.The one criticism you can possibly throw at Curbs is our record in the cup competitions when we were an established Premier League club, particularly when you consider the nature of some of the defeats - home to Walsall and second tier Leicester spring to mind, not to mention chucking away a two goal lead at home to Blackburn in the league cup after we'd knocked out Chelsea. Dunno why we couldn't get it right, but we should have done better.

This season's different. Paper thin squad as usual, thanks Roland, and already struggling with injuries.Bowyer's doing an excellent job keeping us in contention in the league. Don't blame him at all for not giving a monkey's about the cups.
  • MrLargo said:

Historically I agree with you. Sickens me the amount of times Smallwall have had cup runs despite being nothing more than a London equivalent of Oldham Athletic but with more obnoxious fans. 2 FA Cup finals for Palace and 2 League Cup semi-finals in the time I've been following Charlton as well.The one criticism you can possibly throw at Curbs is our record in the cup competitions when we were an established Premier League club, particularly when you consider the nature of some of the defeats - home to Walsall and second tier Leicester spring to mind, not to mention chucking away a two goal lead at home to Blackburn in the league cup after we'd knocked out Chelsea. Dunno why we couldn't get it right, but we should have done better.

This season's different. Paper thin squad as usual, thanks Roland, and already struggling with injuries.Bowyer's doing an excellent job keeping us in contention in the league. Don't blame him at all for not giving a monkey's about the cups.

Appreciate what you are saying but some of our first team squad won't play for 21 days this month... Does match sharpness not factor into thinking at all??
  • MrLargo said:

Historically I agree with you. Sickens me the amount of times Smallwall have had cup runs despite being nothing more than a London equivalent of Oldham Athletic but with more obnoxious fans. 2 FA Cup finals for Palace and 2 League Cup semi-finals in the time I've been following Charlton as well.The one criticism you can possibly throw at Curbs is our record in the cup competitions when we were an established Premier League club, particularly when you consider the nature of some of the defeats - home to Walsall and second tier Leicester spring to mind, not to mention chucking away a two goal lead at home to Blackburn in the league cup after we'd knocked out Chelsea. Dunno why we couldn't get it right, but we should have done better.

Appreciate what you are saying but some of our first team squad won't play for 21 days this month... Does match sharpness not factor into thinking at all??
    I wonder if the injuries to Igor and Cullen came at just the wrong time for us in terms of Sunday, and resulted in Bowyer being ultra cautious with some of his key players, but I'll be annoyed if we don't play a fairly strong team on Tuesday for the replay, the likes of Solly, Pearce and Aribo will have had 2 weeks off by then, and will surely get rusty if they go another half week without a game
  • MrLargo said:

I wonder if the injuries to Igor and Cullen came at just the wrong time for us in terms of Sunday, and resulted in Bowyer being ultra cautious with some of his key players, but I'll be annoyed if we don't play a fairly strong team on Tuesday for the replay, the likes of Solly, Pearce and Aribo will have had 2 weeks off by then, and will surely get rusty if they go another half week without a game
    Which speaks to my point - they could have had two weeks off anyway; played sunday, win/lose get two weeks off; play the Sunday team v swans, if we still draw v mansfield then by all means play the kids for the replay.
  • MrLargo said:

That is certainly a valid point. Keep them sharp but risk an injury, or compromise on sharpness to avoid losing another to injury. You can make a decent argument for either.

Another theory, particularly looking at the side for the Mansfield game, is that he was hoping a couple of youngsters would put in a performance strong enough to put them in contention to compete for a place in the squad for league games.

Anyway, the end result is the same as pretty much any other season - no cup runs for us.
  • MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

That is certainly a valid point. Keep them sharp but risk an injury, or compromise on sharpness to avoid losing another to injury. You can make a decent argument for either.

Another theory, particularly looking at the side for the Mansfield game, is that he was hoping a couple of youngsters would put in a performance strong enough to put them in contention to compete for a place in the squad for league games.

Anyway, the end result is the same as pretty much any other season - no cup runs for us.
    Injuries happen in training as well, so it's not as if you can totally protect players. JFC for example was injured in training, not in a match.
  • edited November 2018
    MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

I can appreciate that point given the Stevenage result previously. I guess Bows learned the lesson that the kids can't give you a record breaking win every time!

Edit: although didn't he already have the Swansea game to assess the youngsters?
  • Yeaa... but we've still won more major trophies than Palace and Millwall combined ;)
  • It has been disappointing historically, with just a few quarter finals since the fifties (3 x FA Cup, 1 x League cup?). Ultimately, where we are now, Bowyer cannot afford any injuries to key players like Solly, Pearce, and Taylor due to the weak squad we have thanks to Roland.
  • Sponsored links:

• with regards to the players resting for Pompey game - they are flying in this league and odds are in there favour of them taken all 3 points, what happens if taylor and ward get injured for a few months, do we just concede defeat and forget about playoffs.
  • To me it's a sad reflection on the state of football these days. Its all become so predictable. I've completely lost interest with England internationals competitive or otherwise, World Cups, European Championships. Champions League etc etc. I don't watch the Premier League or FA Cup finals anymore or MOTD and it's becoming a struggle mainting an interest in Charlton as they lurch from one disaster to another.

It no longer seems to be the fans game. Last nights team wasn't for the fans, though like everyone else I do understand why managers do it!

Are they're ever really any giant killing results anymore, as it's no longer first team v first team. If Accrington Stanley(great name,story and perhaps one of remaing reason to hang onto what's left of football) beat Man City under 10's it's hardly giant killing is it?

Perhaps the F A could make more stringent rules about fielding an amount of first team players or allowing clubs to opt out if they're not going to take the competition seriously or simply doing away with meaningless competitions.

Having said that, to some degree I do think it's a good idea to have some sort of competition for leagues 1 & 2 perhaps the winners could gain promotion or something.

Football is just becoming boring, predictable and dull. 😾
  • Certainly get your points and agree with 90% of them -but just what football are you watching?
  • edited November 2018
    addick05 said:

Certainly get your points and agree with 90% of them -but just what football are you watching?

I watch all 30 seconds of Charlton’s goals on Sky Sports video replay. Otherwise none!

To be honest with you I don’t want to waste my time, that on the off chance there may be a great game or a real cup upset. We know how wonderful it was when Leicester won the Premier League but when is that likely to happen again and is it worth waiting up for, for me the answers a resounding, no!

• Are they're ever really any giant killing results anymore, as it's no longer first team v first team.

Wigan beat Man City last season.
  • CAFCTrev said:

Are they're ever really any giant killing results anymore, as it's no longer first team v first team.

Wigan beat Man City last season.
    And they also beat them in a final. I’m not saying there are never but it’s not often.

Was it first team against first team?
  • Man City put a pretty strong team out, and Wigan were in league 1 so its an even bigger upset then 2013.

https://bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43027542
  • CAFCTrev said:

Man City put a pretty strong team out, and Wigan were in league 1 so its an even bigger upset then 2013.

Any Man City team is strong under Guardiola to be fair... Even if Foden and Diaz get games
  • edited November 2018

CAFCTrev said:

Man City put a pretty strong team out, and Wigan were in league 1 so its an even bigger upset then 2013.

Any Man City team is strong under Guardiola to be fair... Even if Foden and Diaz get games
    And therein lies the problem, Man City and the like just stockpile players, players on huge wages happy to remain and languish in the reserves and therefore hardly ever a real contest.
  • In the FA Cup I wouldn't even back Charlton to beat Mark Mansfield, let alone Mansfield Town.