Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

IPA

I like a good IPA but it seems these days you just can’t buy one. Sure there are plenty on sale but they all seem to be these kiddie ones that had stupid names, childish pictures on the tins or bottle labels, flavours that belong in a sweet shop and ridiculously expensive prices. Is there such a thing as a decent IPA for grown ups still being sold ? Or a light ale for that matter.

Comments

• Goose Island is good. I have Goose Island Midland IPA in 6 litre barrels in my Perfectdraft machine and it hits the spot.
  • Leuth said:

'you can't buy an IPA'

ffs

EVERYTHING is IPA these days. everything's triple-hopped, dry-hopped, hoppy hop hop hops for miles hops. try being a sour beer fan like me

And everything with a "citrusy front end" before the hops hop on through
  • holyjo said:

Leuth said:

'you can't buy an IPA'

ffs

EVERYTHING is IPA these days. everything's triple-hopped, dry-hopped, hoppy hop hop hops for miles hops. try being a sour beer fan like me

And everything with a "citrusy front end" before the hops hop on through
    #hoppyjo
  • Camden Pale is the one.
  • I use the Blackheath Oddbins as my bellwether for beer trends. Two, three years ago it was opening its mind to sour beers - it'd stock upward of ten different sorts. But over the last year or so it feels like it's doubled-down on hops and hoppy beers, possibly because in Brexit Britain we won't be standing for any of that queer lambic crap they make in Europe. I think there were one, maybe two sours last time I went in there.
  • edited November 2018
    St Austell Breweries Proper Job is an excellent traditional IPA. Very hoppy if you can take it.

Hobgoblin also do a much less bitter IPA that tastes similar to Punk IPA, but is much cheaper, and in proper sized bottles.
  • Dunno. Why don't you tell us..?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2018
    Leuth said:

'you can't buy an IPA'

ffs

What they sell these days isn’t India Pale Ale, it’s a fruit drink with a expensive picture on the front
  • Greene King good enough for you?
  • McBobbin said:

Greene King good enough for you?

That’ll do nicely if it’s not been messed about with to make it trendy and unjustifiably expensive for the kiddies
  • Proper Job, Greene King...seriously?? Urgh...where's the flavour...?? Through in Camden and Meantime to the list of mediocrity...

If all else fails, visit the River Ale House, The Penny Farthing or any of the excellent local micro pubs and I'm sure you'll find something in there...some brilliant small breweries making some excellent cask ales at the moment... Not really my thing (and no, I'm not a kid) but even I have enjoyed a pint or 8 of room temperature, no picture, beer after a match in River Ale House...

For @Leuth - local brewery The Hop Stuff has just released a sour IPA....mixed reviews online but could be to your liking....
  • edited November 2018

Proper Job, Greene King...seriously?? Urgh...where's the flavour...??

Have you ever actually tried Proper Job? The OP asked for a good IPA. It is a very good IPA. If you don't like IPA you aren't going to like it.
  • St Austell Breweries Proper Job is an excellent traditional IPA. Very hoppy if you can take it.

Hobgoblin also do a much less bitter IPA that tastes similar to Punk IPA, but is much cheaper, and in proper sized bottles.

Down here in Cornwall, I can buy 3 bottles of Proper Job for a fiver in my local Co-op.
  • Love IPAs and yes, have had Proper Job many a time....(all my family on my dads side from before him are Cornish...he drew the short straw and was born in Plumstead..)...guess my head has been turned, first by the likes of Meantime and now by the likes of Other Half, Cloudwater etc...
  • When I'm at the girlfriend's in Marseille, they've even got a local micro-brasserie that produces bottle conditioned IPA.

Look for 'La Pleine IPA', if you're ever down that way.

• An IPA should be at least 5% ABV. IPA is the most barstardised term in the beer world these days. Double IPA, Triple IPA, Session IPA. It's all a load of rubbish.
    A decent bottled IPA that is readily available is Fullers Bengal Lancer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Jaipur IPA seems readily available, and isn't too bad.

I like Deuchars mainly for old times sake
  • Worthington White Shield, the original is still good

Leuth said:

'you can't buy an IPA'

ffs

What they sell these days isn’t India Pale Ale, it’s a fruit drink with a expansive picture on the front
    Fruit drink???? No idea what you're drinking, as none of them taste remotely fruity.
  • I once had a can of greenking IPA and it put me off for 20 years.

I love the "West Coast" IPAs, that aren't IPA at all. The best proper IPA I have had for a long time is Alfa Beta from ilkely brewery
  • Get down to Aldi -loads of ales £1.25 for 500ml
  • https://westerhambrewery.co.uk/viceroy-india-pale-ale/

Any of their beers but Viceroy is quite palatable.
    Nice local brewery.
  • Worthington White Shield, the original is still good

I used to drink Worthington White Shield back in the 70s.

Didn't know it was still available.
  • Oggy Red said:

St Austell Breweries Proper Job is an excellent traditional IPA. Very hoppy if you can take it.

Down here in Cornwall, I can buy 3 bottles of Proper Job for a fiver in my local Co-op.
    Or 4 for £6 in Morissons...
  • Tree House here in Massachusetts.....fantastic stuff
  • ct_addick said:

Tree House here in Massachusetts.....fantastic stuff

Looks great and brewed in Charlton what’s not to like
    @ct_addick what do you pay a pint over there for this type of beer?
    Had any Jester King?