Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NHS prevention plan aims to boost life expectancy

But will the BBC get slated for using that photo of a large lass in turmoil ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46093750

Comments

• I thought that one of the biggest problems facing us today was an ever increasing older generation.
    Ditch the Apple and eat more pies problem solved.

The BBC has an 'estimate your lifespan' calculator .. I tried it this morning (I am nearly 69) .. I can expect to live to age 87.. 18 more years agony as an Addick thought I ? .. f f s .

but seriously I've had the 'big4', cancer, diabetes, stroke and heart attack and now take much better care of myself (does going through some illnesses and surviving increase some life chances by increasing the body's resistance factor?) … as in the thread on here about diabetes, exercise, weight loss and good diet are key .. but as @McBobbin types, the chance for a good lifestyle is vital .. however, another cliché .. you can lead a horse to water .. but
  • I thought that one of the biggest problems facing us today was an ever increasing older generation.

The BBC has an 'estimate your lifespan' calculator .. I tried it this morning (I am nearly 69) .. I can expect to live to age 87.. 18 more years agony as an Addick thought I ? .. f f s .

but seriously I've had the 'big4', cancer, diabetes, stroke and heart attack and now take much better care of myself (does going through some illnesses and surviving increase some life chances by increasing the body's resistance factor?) … as in the thread on here about diabetes, exercise, weight loss and good diet are key .. but as @McBobbin types, the chance for a good lifestyle is vital .. however, another cliché .. you can lead a horse to water .. but
    Hopefully you will reach and even pass 87.
    I doubt we will have beaten millwall by then but haho you can't have everything.
    and Duchatelet will still be trying to sell up

I doubt we will have beaten millwall by then but haho you can't have everything.
    Nooooooooo
  • edited November 2018

I thought that one of the biggest problems facing us today was an ever increasing older generation.

Nooooooooo
    hahahahahahahahaha .. ahahah .. aint life grand !!
  • Rubbish would Ya.
  • You can't make people eat healthily - as long as shit food is available people will eat it. There are a number of factors at play here - health promotion may have a marginal effect.
  • edited November 2018
    "People in England are being told to cut back on alcohol, sugar, salt and fat in a bid to boost the nation's life expectancy by five years."

"being told" rattled me... probably deliberate from the BBC author to be honest and I'm biting to it... but I'm reading it as:

"People in England are being told to have less fun and eat less tasty food in order to boost the government's statistical record"

You leave it to me to manage my diet, you run the public services that I pay you for.
  • Sponsored links:

• "People in England are being told to cut back on alcohol, sugar, salt and fat in a bid to boost the nation's life expectancy by five years."

"being told" rattled me... probably deliberate from the BBC author to be honest and I'm biting to it... but I'm reading it as:

"People in England are being told to have less fun and eat less tasty food in order to boost the government's statistical record"

You leave it to me to manage my diet, you run the public services that I pay you for.

The trouble is the NHS will sink due to the prevalence of obesity and diabetes cases. Should we just ignore it?

• You can't make people eat healthily - as long as shit food is available people will eat it. There are a number of factors at play here - health promotion may have a marginal effect.

I think the best solution is to pragmatically make the shit food a bit healthier.

I think the best solution is to pragmatically make the shit food a bit healthier.
    Food manufacturers have a lot of power - we seem to be going down the US route with our food culture. It's a bit like dealing with cigarette manufacturers.

Lobbyists will prevent change happening.
  • edited November 2018

"People in England are being told to cut back on alcohol, sugar, salt and fat in a bid to boost the nation's life expectancy by five years."

The trouble is the NHS will sink due to the prevalence of obesity and diabetes cases. Should we just ignore it?

Yeah, I don't think it should be ignored. Providing guidance and education so that people want to improve their diet is ideal... and as far as I'm aware this is improving.

My irritation was the directive, borderline oppressive style of messaging and the crappy call to action to "boost our country's life expectancy stats". Education and actually putting financial barriers in place to making yourself unhealthy (e.g. tax) I think are fair game, taxation is controversial but the NHS needs to meet the growing cost of obesity-related illnesses and I think people who knowingly inflict that on themselves should pay the lion's share. However, of course that's only really fair if everyone is properly taught how to balance what they eat (the education piece) as right now that tax burden sits on the lower economic bands of society because they are at a disadvantage, which strikes as unfair in a country with a shockingly large and growing gap between rich and poor.

The "you must not eat/drink stuff" message also ignores that a bit of the bad stuff (e.g. a boozy night, a.k.a. "binge drinking" and a curry) can be part of a healthy lifestyle, it could even be better for you overall if you really enjoy it and know how to balance it out with greens and exercise.
  • "People in England are being told to cut back on alcohol, sugar, salt and fat in a bid to boost the nation's life expectancy by five years."

Yeah, I don't think it should be ignored. Providing guidance and education so that people want to improve their diet is ideal... and as far as I'm aware this is improving.

My irritation was the directive, borderline oppressive style of messaging and the crappy call to action to "boost our country's life expectancy stats". Education and actually putting financial barriers in place to making yourself unhealthy (e.g. tax) I think are fair game, taxation is controversial but the NHS needs to meet the growing cost of obesity-related illnesses and I think people who knowingly inflict that on themselves should pay the lion's share. However, of course that's only really fair if everyone is properly taught how to balance what they eat (the education piece) as right now that tax burden sits on the lower economic bands of society because they are at a disadvantage, which strikes as unfair in a country with a shockingly large and growing gap between rich and poor.

The "you must not eat/drink stuff" message also ignores that a bit of the bad stuff (e.g. a boozy night, a.k.a. "binge drinking" and a curry) can be part of a healthy lifestyle, it could even be better for you overall if you really enjoy it and know how to balance it out with greens and exercise.
    Food manufacturers bear a large burden for a lot of the unhealthy food that is produced. It doesn't need to be quite as full of shit as it is but obviously salt/sugar flavour it.

I worked on a vascular ward for a time and saw the end results of a poor diet through the effects of diabetes, obesity, poor circulation etc. There were a number of factors for poor diet - ignorance, depression, learning disability, lack of cash and those who simply didn't care.

Some effort needs to be made through health promotion and stopping manufacturers producing such unhealthy stuff. It might smack of the 'nanny state' but doing nothing isn't really an option.

The general population are very complacent about being overweight - it's becoming normalised. Type 2 diabetes is ever more common and the average person is clueless about the effects of the condition.

• This isn't a nanny state its more that it was never understood just how bad refined carbs and sugar were for you, hence the massive rise/epidemic in T2 diabetes and other related illnesses.

As others have said the whole food industry is also set up on convenience food, and that is what they market to us, so people need to be informed.

So its just not as simple as saying I'll choose my diet, when its something that has been culturally ingrained for generations through ignorance and is now found to be hugely damaging.
  • razil said:

This isn't a nanny state its more that it was never understood just how bad refined carbs and sugar were for you, hence the massive rise/epidemic in T2 diabetes and other related illnesses.

As others have said the whole food industry is also set up on convenience food, and that is what they market to us, so people need to be informed.

So its just not as simple as saying I'll choose my diet, when its something that has been culturally ingrained for generations through ignorance and is now found to be hugely damaging.

John Yudkin, British physiologist, was writing about the dangers of sugar in 1972 but his work was discredited and fat was pushed to the fore. I'm sure the sugar industry was reluctant to face up to its role in public health.

Yudkin wrote the book 'Pure, White and Deadly' about sugar and perhaps he was ahead of his time.

• Eat less
    Move more

Where do I claim my consultancy fee?
  • Do we really want to continue increasing life expectancy?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2018
    Dazzler21 said:

Do we really want to continue increasing life expectancy?

Tough question, even tougher answer.

Check out James Lovelock or Stephen Hawking prophetic words and they both believe this planet is on its last few spins.
    Lovelock changed his mind àbout Gaia and the earth regulating itself.
    If Lovelock thinks this earth is over crowded by 6 billion and Hawking thinks this earth is dying then I will take their educated word for it.
    We need a good cull.
    Any volunteers ?
  • Dazzler21 said:

Check out James Lovelock or Stephen Hawking prophetic words and they both believe this planet is on its last few spins.
    If Lovelock thinks this earth is over crowded by 6 billion and Hawking thinks this earth is dying then I will take their educated word for it.
    We need a good cull.
    Any volunteers ?
    The Palace Ultras
  • Dazzler21 said:

We need a good cull.
    Any volunteers ?
    So you're saying a nuclear war could save the planet?
  • Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

We need a good cull.
    Any volunteers ?
    So you're saying a nuclear war could save the planet?
    we're well overdue a pandemic of flu, bubonic plague or the like .. trouble is these clever boffins keep finding vaccines and cures .. the advantage of a pandemic over nuclear war is that the buildings, major infrastructure and much flora and fauna would survive a human disaster .. but would enough people survive to gather the harvest and keep facebook updated ?
  • I think a supervolcano eruption will do the trick
  • Dazzler21 said:

We need a good cull.
    Any volunteers ?
    Think climate change will be your cull. No chance of mankind making the necessary changes in time to stop a catastrophe occurring within a generation or two.

• Dazzler21 said:

We need a good cull.
    Any volunteers ?
    Logan's Run
  • Dazzler21 said:

We need a good cull.
    Any volunteers ?
    Think climate change will be your cull. No chance of mankind making the necessary changes in time to stop a catastrophe occurring within a generation or two.

If you look at the bigger picture then the only certainty is nature decided that we are born and after an adventure of a second or a century we expire.
    So why should mankind, in our present incarnation as Homo Sapiens be given much longer to cause havoc on this planet.
    Our time on earth was always going to be short compared to Dinosaurs because we were programmed to change at a much faster rate and greed would always be at the forefront of the apes first cousin.

I understand mankinds craving for eternal life BUT when Money rules the world then we are only ever going to be reactive and not proactive to global warming as too many people care about their own destiny and not the destiny of their great grandchildren.

The shame is, there has been wonderful folk who have created and invented Art and technology in many ingenious ways but mankind self destruction will always win out.

PS. On an individual level, adults taking control of their lives and being aware the harm of too much Sugar, fat, salt and tobacco does to their bodies is sensible.
    Problem is the addiction of the above is a tough battle to beat.