Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Walsall v Charlton | Tue 06 Nov | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Walsall v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 6th November 2018 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Tom Nield (West Yorkshire)

Introduction

After the disappointing month that was October, Charlton have entered November looking like the side that was originally challenging for the Play-Offs… Despite an few early scares against Doncaster, the Addicks would keep all three points in South London thanks to goals from Joe Aribo and Karlan Grant.

As is the way in the season though, there is little time to enjoy a victory, tomorrow night Charlton return to midweek action at Walsall – As mentioned on here after the Oxford game, we used to be so strong when evening games would come around, against the Saddlers we stand a chance to gain ground on our promotion rivals… that historic midweek form must return if we want to take advantage of that!!

The Opposition
Name: Walsall | Manager: Dean Keates
Ground: Bescot Stadium

Carrying on with the midweek form its imperative that Charlton rediscover their ability to win under the floodlights… Wins at Leeds United and Nottingham Forest in the Championship spring to mind and with International breaks once again hindering our season its something we need to get used to – Our original fixture against Walsall was cancelled in mid-October for this reason, not a bad thing when you consider our form, yet you have to question… Are we now playing Walsall at the right time for us?

If October was a bad month for Bowyer, then the same could be set for Dean Keates who would pick up just two wins… A legend in these parts: Keates (like Bowyer) would come through the Walsall academy and go on to make over 200-appearances for the Saddlers in two separate spells, he would rejoin the club for the third time in March after making a name for himself at Wrexham.

2017/18 would be a mixed season for the Saddlers which saw them just avoiding relegation yet with a new season comes new opportunities and Walsall have managed (despite the loss of Erhun Oztumer) – Undefeated until week eight with five wins, it looked as though our opponents could challenge for the Play-Offs themselves this season yet a poor run of form has seen Walsall drop to 10th yet level on points with Charlton.

Both teams appear need the three points to rediscover early season form in what could be an intriguing tie!!

Charlton Team News
As is the way with any season, when you reach this time of year you’re always going to be struck down with injuries – Ahead of our clash with Doncaster on Saturday there was a chance that Lyle Taylor would be absent with stomach problems, he would be “fit” for that game yet would only last sixty minutes before being able to play no further and will now miss a handful of weeks as he recovers… Igor Vetokele is the likely replacement

Much has been made of late about Tariqe Fosu and his form this season – After a bright start in Charlton’s colours it just hasn’t worked this season for the former Reading youngster, tomorrow will see him returning to the ground where he scored his second goal for the Addicks, lets hope history repeats himself

Steer
Dijksteel | Bielik | Pearce | Solly
Aribo | Cullen | Reeves
Fosu
Grant | Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Pratley | Lapslie | Ward | Marshall | Ajose

Prediction
The Bescot Stadium has always been one of those difficult places to go and last season proved that… Despite taking a deserved lead; Charlton were pegged back and Walsall would deserve to share the points and see something similar tomorrow night – A win wont be easy yet the Addicks will once again need to score more than once to ensure that three points return back down the M6

Comments

• Great preview as usual FA.
    Onto the game.will Saturdays win be the start of another winning streak or will we cock it up and not progress.
    I'm hoping for the former.
    2.1 Charlton and the optimism returns.
  • A nervy 1 - 1 draw , Grant with our goal.
  • 2-1 win. Igor to get his first league goal of the season and Pierce to get the other.
  • I think it’s going to be €6 well spent. I enjoy watching Charlton in Belgium
  • _MrDick said:

I think it’s going to be €6 well spent. I enjoy watching Charlton in Belgium

Being a midweek game you can watch this game without sodding around with your VPN, it does cost £10 though rather than €6 so switching on your VPN will get you a discount, unless of course your actually in Belgium
  • Just hope we have Igor and Vetokele up front.

They were a deadly partnership four seasons ago.

• I would keep Ward in the team if fit.

He did play a full game v Doncaster so may be rested but would prefer him to start and Fosu to come on later.

Not a fan of the phrase "must win game" but with another international break coming up it's important to win this one to get some momentum going.

Will be interesting to see how we play without Taylor.

1 - 0 to the Addicks (Pearce)

• edited November 2018
    depends which Charlton turns up for the game against another inconsistent outfit (only Portsmouth and Sunderland can realistically escape the 'inconsistent' label, that's if you ignore the consistently awful form of Bradford & Wimbledon)

Got to go for a win and a chance of just getting back into the play off zone.

Walsall 0 v CAFC 2
  • A good test as to whether we are a middle of the table side ( which although good at times are inconsistent) or something better -the same probably applies to Walsall as well.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Unbeaten in six against them. Think we'll lead for a while but succumb in the last 10 minutes to an equaliser. 1-1
  • edited November 2018
    Been to the Bescot twice before when we won both times; 4-2 in 2000, think Kinsella, Hunt and Robinson were on the score sheet and 2016 when Ajose got a brace in the 2-1 victory. So I'm hoping to complete the hat trick tomorrow evening!
    COYRs.

Edit; Hunt and Kinsella got two apiece in 2000 so to keep the sequence going Grant will get both in a 2-0 win :-).
  • Just hope we have Igor and Vetokele up front.

They were a deadly partnership four seasons ago.

I hope you mean either Grant or Ajose with Igor? On Saturday I went for a draw as previously I kept saying we will win, so as I am always wrong I will go for a 0-0 draw and hope for a win
  • I see their fans have real issues with their full backs so I would play a flat 4-4-2.

Maybe just the game for Fosu to find his mojo.
  • Redrobo said:

I see their fans have real issues with their full backs so I would play a flat 4-4-2.

Maybe just the game for Fosu to find his mojo.

Going by their selections it seems they need to get old Kinsella back in the side
  • we are so hit and miss atm, gonna go for a 2-2 draw
  • When I am optimistic, I am generally disapointed, and when I am pessimistic, I am generally pleasantly surprised. So I'd like to be pessimistic, but am actually feeling optimistic. I'll get my coat!
  • Heading to this one, no idea what to expect at the moment. Went to Rochdale last weekend and me and the old man both made the mistake of saying " I fancy us getting 3 points today" on the way there and we know how that turned out! So I fancy us getting 0 points tomorrow :smiley::wink:
  • Going to go for a 1-0 win.
  • I'm going to this one.
    I don't really know why - the rest of my life seems pretty good at the moment.
    Walsall is, as the song so aptly points out, a shithole, but 3 points will put a shine on it.
    1-2
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-2 to Charlton, but I've got a feeling there could be a lot of goals.
  • Draw possibly a Desmond.
  • 1-2 to Charlton, but I've got a feeling there could be a lot of goals.

I hope we score 4+
  • Perfectly capable of winning if we turn up - 2-1 to the Addicks.
  • Cant see as good a performance if Taylor is not playing as who will create anything and who else can hold the ball so well. Fosu has to start and be put in a position where he can run at players. Agree the Ward has to start as his influence on our attitude is immense. We need to keep the same back four as Saturday and hope Walsall want to have a real go at us as that is when we have the potential to get goals. If vetokele does have a bad game I hope bowyer has a replacement in mind for the second half.
  • Taylor needs to play for a while to get a yellow card so that he will be suspended for the cup game
  • edited November 2018

Taylor needs to play for a while to get a yellow card so that he will be suspended for the cup game

Taylor's out for 3 weeks at least (I reckon), as we won't have another league game after Walsall until the 24th.
  • Hopefully a win but i fancy a draw 1-1
  • Taylor needs to play for a while to get a yellow card so that he will be suspended for the cup game

Yellow cards are now competition specific. You can’t be banned from an FA Cup game for bookings in the league any more.
  • well, it certainly wont be the 4-2 beating we gave them in 2000.

2-0 loss.