Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Goals youve missed when at the match.......

edited September 2006 in General Charlton
You know what I mean......

Your in the cue the second half kicks off some doppy sod takes and eternity to order his coffee.........

I missed David Whytes second against Bristol City, I think, at Sellout with my school first eleven, funily enough organised by a much younger Steve Sutherland, via my Dad....... I covered some poor sod in coffee as I legged it up the stairs after I heard the roar, well it was hardly a roar back then....
The other one was Colin Walsh' s long range screamer in a two-nil I think it was pot vale at Upton Park..... In the loo!!

Comments

• i missed about 5 goals when we got tonked by leeds the other year. first was after about 10 seconds (viduka i think) and the rest i was on the concourse watching the grand national.
  • We played Man City at Selhurst a number of years ago, it was coming up to half-time, the score was 0-0, I was dying for a pee, one of those days when the beer goes right through you. As the match appeared to be going nowhere I choose to risk the last few minutes. I left my seat in the Half Awake stand, went into the concourse and heard (for Selhurst) a massive roar, I rushed back to see Alex Dyer celebrating. Man City kicked off, I watched the next few seconds and turned my intentions back to the gents...this time I made it as far as the door, another roar and Dyer had scored his second.
  • strangely enough mascot 88 I think you will find it was Alex Dyer that scored that goal as we didn't sign Whyte till we moved to upton park.

missed both of the goals against Liverpool last season as for once I offered to get the half time pints in , typical!
  • Yeah, thats right, I think....... Ill have to ask Dave Roan he was there as well...... I remeber his second on that day was an absolute beauty.....

Both goals against liverpool...... ouch! that must of stung a bit.......
  • There are a couple of games where I left and missed late goals. I left when Norwich were winning 4-2 at the Valley with 10mins to play and the final score was 4-4. Another goal I missed was Martin Pringle's Equaliser in the 2-2 draw with Newcastle.
  • edited September 2006
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]You know what I mean......
    The other one was Colin Walsh' s long range screamer in a two-nil I think it was pot vale at Upton Park..... In the loo!!

Remember that game for three reasons, i'm sure it was Brighton not Port Vale:

Great goal from Walshie

Brighton wearing the matching stripey shirt / shorts combo that looked lie a carrier bag all in one.

Brighton's mob coming steaming down the tube on the way back and it all kicking off. Was only 16 at the time and don't mind admitting i was bricking it. A few B-mob lads more than helped out a few youngsters that day.
  • After far too many beers during the day in Manchester and having been forced to take a bus to Turf Moor, I was in the loos in the second half when we scored the only goal of the game in Burnley on a Tuesday night many moons ago. Pretty sure it was either 1980 or 1981.

What annoyed me the most was that I'd dropped my house keys on the terrace and had to go back into the ground about an hour after the game had finished. Found my keys though!
  • It pains me to think about it still, but I missed THE one and only outing of Peakies Rocket whilst in our colours at Ipswich away. I was in the queue for a burger at the time. Am GUTTED!!!
  • Missed our goal saturday still finishing me half time pint.
  • Thought there would be a thread for this but cant believe its so old. Was just sat in the dark trying to get the baby back to sleep and found myself thinking about goals I missed when at the game. Can only think of two, Claus Jensen's curler against Man U circa 2001 - think it gave us the lead, had a leak and heard the roar on my way back, rushed up the steps then realised it made more sense to run back down to the concourse to watch the screen and then missed a goal against I think west ham on NYE 2006 I think it was. Was in the west lower and again my weak bladder let me down but what amazed me was the lack of noise. Heard nothing and play had restarted so if my girlfriend hadn't told me I wouldn't have noticed. Think that's it in 25 years of watching.
  • Sponsored links:

• Only other goals I remember missing were when I arrived late for an evening game against Burnley circa 1996 and got there ten minutes late and it was already 1-1.
  • Unbelievably missed 3 of the 6 when at Barnsley away, the pre match session may of had something to do with it
  • edited November 2018
    Missed Claus Jenson against Blackburn.
    Dad had the raving hump that Brad Friedel had equalised he summoned us to leave.
    Half way down Ransom Walk we heard the winner.
  • Missed the only goal when we beat Pompey away last season
  • Only saw the first of the four we scored against Norwich at the Valley in February ‘97. Missed our second from Robson as I couldn’t hold on for a wazz until half time. Then when Eadie made it 4-2 to Norwich in the 84th we left to head to the Oak, missing Jason Lee and big Carlo pulling it back for us. So yeah, lesson learned.
  • I missed an Arthur Horsfield goal at Peterborough while taking a leak. It was worse back then because you couldn't catch the goals later on TV.
  • Flash’s first against Spurs when we won 4-1 that year they came down to the old 2nd division and racing back up to the first division again. The Valley was packed that day, official crowd probably given as 30k, actual likely to have been 40k and it seemed like it was mostly spurs fans in the ground there expecting to see them win yet another game. I was one of a number of chaps still making their way from those no-roof toilets that used to be in what is now the west stand car park and situated over by where the back of the Floyd road houses are when there was a massive roar. Much swearing as we raced to the terraces of the old open end thinking spurs had gone ahead only to find it was charlton that had scored. What a great day that turned out to be.
  • Zheng Zhi at home....2nd half. had to take one of the kids to the loo (might have been Golfie jnr ) but no idea who against.
  • Zheng Zhi at home....2nd half. had to take one of the kids to the loo (might have been Golfie jnr ) but no idea who against.

Blimey I'd forgotten all about Zheng zhi.
  • How can you forget one of our best players since the premier League
  • Sponsored links:

• Missed a Port Vale goal (2-2) draw back in the late 90s... Meant I was celebrating a win at Full Time till a mate told me the actual score
  • Missed an early Bob Curtis pen away at Burnley, in a 4-4 draw, as we were sitting amonst Burnley fans in the Bob Lord stand thought we had lost 4-3
  • The only one I can think of that I’ve missed was the 3rd in the 4-0 home win against West Ham.

I remember that my mates Dad managed to miss all 3 goals in the 3-0 win against Derby in 1989 (2nd from last game of the season - a win that kept us up)
  • Missed every goal at Blackpool in 72.
    It was hard to see from Blackpool Nick.
  • I missed a whole match.
    The day England won the rugby world cup we played Leicester away. I saw the rugby in a pub by Euston Station so had been drinking from 6am there and then on the train and then in a pub before the game. Got in sat down and couldn' remember anything after that.
  • iainment said:

I missed a whole match.
    The day England won the rugby world cup we played Leicester away. I saw the rugby in a pub by Euston Station so had been drinking from 6am there and then on the train and then in a pub before the game. Got in sat down and couldn' remember anything after that.

I watched the rugby in the same pub as you and I must admit 3pm onwards is a bit of a blur.
  • Worked on the turnstiles for a while so missed a fair amount. Remember one game (Ipswich I think) where there was a few goals early doors, quit the job not long after, couldn't take not seeing the whole game!
  • Kermo...... THAT volley on the last game of the season. I was pissed as a fart, and having a chat with a mate in the row behind. Gutted to not see it first hand.
  • iamdan said:

Missed Claus Jenson against Blackburn.
    Dad had the raving hump that Brad Friedel had equalised he summoned us to leave.
    Half way down Ransom Walk we heard the winner.

Snap iamdan,
    I never leave before the end even when we are losing but after Friedel scored on 90 minutes to equalise I told my son we're out of here and heard the cheers a minute on two later as Claus hit the winner.
  • I've been to the toolbox for all of the recent games there (except when Diarra put us ahead and we lost 2-1).

Was in the bar for Ajose's goal for us in the most recent one so I haven't even seen us score there in 4 games.