Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hitch-hiking

I have never done it. But, from other threads, it seems lots of Lifers have.

What are your best hitch-hiking stories?

Comments

• Tony Hawks 'Round Ireland with a Fridge".
  • I can't think of a worse way to travel if I'm honest

Its probably the quickest way to get raped and killed is another poignant thought

Every time I've seen hitch-hikers I wonder if that's the last time another group of human beings will see them alive.

The one story I have is a friend of mine who used to drive lorries told me he would pick them up all the time, he got a handjob off a Dutch girl once for his kindness, told his friends at work and one of them grassed him up and he was sacked for having a non-employee in the cab of his vehicle. No mention of the handjob from his employers, just the fact he had a random in the cab and it was against company policy/invalidated their insurance
  • I hitch hiked round New Zealand. Not sure I would in this country. I met some really decent and friendly people. No real stories, was obliquely chatted up by a gay electrician. Didn't really put it together until after I got out.

Was bored to death by a homeopathic/herbal medicine advocate, but she was a generous and good hearted person. Basically the general quota of cunts in NZ is lower than in the SE/London. When I tried here when I was younger, twenty plus years ago, you could guarantee some abuse. Didn't get any in NZ.
  • edited November 2018
    Hitch hiked for the first time in Oz and the first peopl to pick me up were true hillbilly’s. Hitched in NZ a lot, loved travelling and meeting people. Never felt threatened.

Travelled in a road train in Oz which was an experience. One bloke asked me if I could mind his car in NZ after knowing me about 30 mins whilst he dropped something off at his daughters as he could not find anywhere to park so I sat in the drivers seat with the engine running. Got chatted up by a Maori girl. Got pissed with about 7 youngsters, dropping off for dinner with one of their families (fortunately the driver was not drinking)

Indirectly I hitched out of Compton in LA which was also an experience and definitely one I would not recommend!
  • edited November 2018
    Gave a lift to couple of new age traveler types a couple of years ago. Both French and the bloke was a promoter of reggae and Mongolian throat festivals, he said they were on their was to a meeting regarding a festival they were organising. Obviously, when he said throat music, I didn't have a clue what he was talking about, so they both gave me a (bad) demonstration. It was hilarious....

Mongolian throat music and how it should be done, which I actually don't mind -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rmo3fKeveo

They sounded more like a couple of frogs (the amphibians) with soar throats
  • ColinTat said:

I hitch hiked round New Zealand. Not sure I would in this country. I met some really decent and friendly people. No real stories, was obliquely chatted up by a gay electrician. Didn't really put it together until after I got out.

Was bored to death by a homeopathic/herbal medicine advocate, but she was a generous and good hearted person. Basically the general quota of cunts in NZ is lower than in the SE/London. When I tried here when I was younger, twenty plus years ago, you could guarantee some abuse. Didn't get any in NZ.

Was there a spark between you, both?
    Must have been a shock to be turned down.

I bet you could feel the electricity between you.
  • I need an hour to write about the time I got on the back of a Harley getting off a ferry from the South Island of New Zealand to the North and ended up getting a dinner at the Headquarters of a well known biker gang called Highway 61.

In fact I probably shouldn’t. I often give thanks that I am still alive to tell the tale. It’s a proper story.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hitchhiked all over uk and a fair bit on the continent too, when I was in my early 20s

I always think it taught me how to adapt to other people - face to face anyway. You can be in a car with an old hippy one minute and then a businessman in suit and tie the next. You need to be able to make them feel comfortable and at ease in your presence.

• Great stories.......

never hitched & as a car drivrr of 30 years never picked anyone up. Seen loads on the M2 & M20 with cardboard signs for Dover & I have always thought "why ?". Have you not got £15 for a train ticket. Are you THAT poor ?? if so, sell your bloody guitar /dog / girlfriend and do what 99.9% of the population does & pay for a fecking ticket.

but keep the stories coming.....
  • Curb_It said:

I need an hour to write about the time I got on the back of a Harley getting off a ferry from the South Island of New Zealand to the North and ended up getting a dinner at the Headquarters of a well known biker gang called Highway 61.

In fact I probably shouldn’t. I often give thanks that I am still alive to tell the tale. It’s a proper story.

I remember hearing a story about how several members of that biker gang were found suffering from headlocks.
  • ColinTat said:

I hitch hiked round New Zealand. Not sure I would in this country. I met some really decent and friendly people. No real stories, was obliquely chatted up by a gay electrician. Didn't really put it together until after I got out.

You should have told him he had got his wires crossed
  • edited November 2018
    ColinTat said:

Take it you are just DC & not AC/DC?
  • In my younger days (late 60s, early 70s) I hitchhiked all over Europe and did a bit on US west coast and western Canada .. I never had much trouble (other than an irate native Canadian pointing his rifle at me and admonishing me for taking a piss by the roadside, he didn't shoot) I met a lot of generous people, covered a lot of miles and saw some wonderful as well as tedious places .. I found it best to go with the flow and only have a vague idea of where you're headed otherwise trying to meet a deadline can be 'stressful'

I suspect that hitchhiking today is a totally different thing. Reality and perceptions in society have radically changed. I have not seen a hiker on the UK roads for years when at one time it was a commonplace. We have nothing to fear but fear itself .. who said that ? .. Anyway I would not have wanted my now well grown daughter to go hitchhiking when she was younger .. my sons, well both had cars at an early age and plenty of cash .. spoilt brats but I luv em ((:>)
  • edited November 2018
    We (me and Mrs H) had to run for a bus which we missed, this was in New Jersey. Anyway a couple offered to take us to our destination (5 miles away), so we accepted their kind offer....no 'exciting' ending, they just dropped us off where we wanted to go, probably the last (and only time) I've ever got into a complete strangers car.
  • edited November 2018
    When I was 14-18 hitching was my main mode of travel for anything more than a few miles.
    My mates and I would sometimes have weekend hitching competitions. Start Friday to be back Monday. Who went furthest wins. Prove distance by sending a postcard, so results took a few days to confirm.
    I never went outside the UK but the best was a mate who got to Turin.
    Back then, 60s@70s, it was easy to get a ride.
    Happy days.