Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lee Probert

Booked Leicester’s Demarai Gray for removing his shirt to reveal a ‘For Vichai’ top after scoring.

Rules are rules, I understand that.

But on this occasion, could he not have turned a blind eye after the goal was scored and shown just a hint of empathy.

Comments

• Think the refs hands are tied tbh, i'm sure he didn't want to do it
  • Macronate said:

Booked Leicester’s Demarai Gray for removing his shirt to reveal a ‘For Vichai’ top after scoring.

Rules are rules, I understand that.

But on this occasion, could he not have turned a blind eye after the goal was scored and shown just a hint of empathy.

You can't change the laws or the rules on a one-off basis. I am sure Gray knew what would happen if it he did it and, on balance thought it was worth it. Right decision in my view.
  • edited November 2018
    The ref has to do it.

It's the ruling. And his assessor is sitting in the stands.

• absolutely not. Gray has made a concious decision to do something knowing he will be booked for it
  • Should definitely have let it go.
  • Obviously can't let it go. Shame
  • You could tell from the footage he didn't want to book him, but he had to.
  • Sponsored links:

• It is, no choice though, shame because he failed to give Leicester one of the most baltant penalities you’ll ever see
  • As others have said its the laws of the game and yes it is a stupid law, but the referee cant pick and choose what laws he follows.

Gray knew he would get a booking, why did he not go over to the bench and get a shirt to hold up like most players do nowadays.

The law is stupid and does need removing but until The FA remove it nothing can be done
  • A piece of yellow plastic doesn’t retract from what Gray done. I reckon if he had a ‘second bookable offence’ from then on the ref might have ‘missed it’ either way I don’t think he should be criticised for it, it’s very clear that he was told, possibly specifically for this game that he has to book it either way.
  • Ref was right to book him. Nobody asks players to take their shirts off.
  • Refs don't get the leeway to re-engineer the rules of the game, during the game. End of.
  • edited November 2018

Imagine he didn’t book him. Later in the game a Cardiff player, already booked, did the same. He’d be unable to send him off wouldn’t he. Think he did the right thing personally.

It’s a shit rule, so what if he did not send off a Cardiff player later. No one would have complained.
  • Sponsored links:

• Right to book him - the refs deciding when not to apply the laws of the game (rather than interpreting the situation and applying the correct law etc) is a slippery slope.

That particular law is stupid though.
  • Also, how hard is it to just put the shirt up and over your head and resting on the back of your neck? Players are thick.

• Also, how hard is it to just put the shirt up and over your head and resting on the back of your neck? Players are thick.

Arent players booked whether the shirt is taken off or whether there is a message underneath?

I thought the rules meant neither are allowed
  • edited November 2018

Also, how hard is it to just put the shirt up and over your head and resting on the back of your neck? Players are thick.

Arent players booked whether the shirt is taken off or whether there is a message underneath?

I thought the rules meant neither are allowed
    Players can celebrate when a goal is scored, but the celebration must not be excessive; choreographed celebrations are not encouraged and must not cause excessive time-wasting.

Leaving the field of play to celebrate a goal is not a cautionable offence but players should return as soon as possible.

A player must be cautioned for:

- Climbing onto a perimeter fence and/or approaching the spectators in a manner which causes safety and/or security issues
    - Gesturing or acting in a provocative, derisory or inflammatory way
    - Covering the head or face with a mask or other similar item
    - Removing the shirt or covering the head with the shirt
  • Rules are rules - but bollox to them considering the circumstances. No one minded. Everyone expected it. Fans from both sides were together here. FFS rules like this don't matter today.
  • Rules are rules - but bollox to them considering the circumstances. No one minded. Everyone expected it. Fans from both sides were together here. FFS rules like this don't matter today.

Today no, but then it sets a precedent for referees to ignore certain rules depending on the circumstances and that's only going to cause problems.
    Best thing to do would be to have the booking rescinded after the event but you can't blame the referee personally here.
  • If I was paid to do something and ignored a blatant misdemeanour I'd, at the least, be questioned by my boss. Possibly sanctioned
    So the ref, in my opinion, did what he aught to do.
    Leave it then to the bosses to pardon.