Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Petrol v Diesel Price .

Can anybody advise why there is a current price difference between the two?. Used to be a few pence. Read that diesel costs less to produce than petrol but around Bromley unleaded can be bought for 127.9 and diesel is 138.9 in the same garage. Any thoughts or insights?

Comments

• Price of oil has gone up. The pound has weakened dramatically since the Brexit vote. Diesel is higher taxed it seems and they’re beginning to try to filter out diesel over the coming years.

That’s my opinion based on what I know. Might not be completely correct though.
  • petrolprices.com
  • I was questioning the differential. Regardless of the pounds fall against, and i know that oil is purchased in dollars, the base product cost starts the same. Its not Brexit or the tory party, or fear of Corbyn. Is it the oil companys screwing the motorist? The tax on petrol and diesel is the same by the way.
  • edited November 2018
    There used to be a cost differential in the colder months because demand for heating diesel went up changing the supply/demand ratio but not sure that accounts for the current difference.

Out here in Canada diesel is usually a bit cheaper than petrol, but there are very few diesel cars on the road, most diesel vehicles are heavy duty pickups or commercial vehicles.
  • Always try to get petrol / diesel at Pepperhill Sainsburys (just outside Gravesend) - Always seems to be the cheapest anywhere
  • Always try to get petrol / diesel at Pepperhill Sainsburys (just outside Gravesend) - Always seems to be the cheapest anywhere

Does Supermarktet petrol last as long?
  • Oil prices have fallen 15% in the last month , I’m pretty certain the price at the pump doesn’t react to real time prices on the way down as it does on the way up ...
    Have the prices on the forecourt changed much in the last month ?
  • Oil Companies ripping off consumers?

Who'd have thunk it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oil prices have fallen 15% in the last month , I’m pretty certain the price at the pump doesn’t react to real time prices on the way down as it does on the way up ...
    Have the prices on the forecourt changed much in the last month ?

When oil prices rise, petrol/diesel go up straight away, when oil prices drop, it takes a few weeks for the effect to reach the pumps.
  • edited November 2018
    I noticed in Italy that diesel was cheaper than petrol there. I suppose one argument why it isn't here could be that diesel is deemed to be worse for the environment. I have always thought the reason could be that a diesel car delivers much greater mpg so oil companies know they can charge a few quid more and the diesel owner is still paying less. If they put the price up so it cost the same, the demand for diesel would drop as a diesel engine costs more to produce. But at the extra price they charge, it doesn't affect the market. That has always been my theory.
  • I thought that since diesel has become more dangerous to your health that the government has been increasing the tax on it to persuade people to switch to petrol.
  • My son's car is a diesel - a Panda 1.3 multijet and road tax for it is only £35 at present. So it is all a bit confused.
  • I thought diesel had a higher fuel duty but I’ve just checked and it doesn’t. Petrol and diesel are both at 57.95p per litre duty. Lower for LPG
  • I am currently spending half the week working in Somerset where diesel is as low as 128.9 in a Tesco where petrol is only a penny less. I don't know why regional variations should be so great, but it's about 9p more in Berkshire, even in other Tesco stations.
  • Luckily the Tories have frozen fuel duty for the 9th year in succession. No, I hadn’t noticed it either.....
  • LenGlover said:

A few years ago they told everyone that diesel was more environmentally friendly than petrol as well as being more economical over longer distances.

https://www.thejournal.ie/diesel-worse-for-environment-than-petrol-3611217-Sep2017/

People then bought diesel cars so, with a captive market, lo and behold they decide anyone driving a diesel car is more socially unacceptable than paedophile priests or 'mainly Pakistani' grooming gangs because of environmental damage and bang the prices up.

Soup de jour! All part of of life's rich (for the political class and their cronies) scam and the mugs amongst us with diesel cars have no alternative but to run them into the ground unless we are rich of course and can take the loss.

You really are a twisted old sod aren't you!
  • For definitive answer see Q13 on the link below linking to the excellent Q&A pages on the RAC Foundation website.

https://www.racfoundation.org/motoring-faqs/economics
  • what i want to know is that how the hell can i pay £124.6 per ltr for dielsel in Walsall Sainsbury and then sainsbury enfield charge me £1.36 ltr piss take of the highest order
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2018
    Diesel in Luxembourg costs approx. 1.16 EUR per litre and Petrol 1.20 EUR per litre. So, thats just over a pound per litre.
  • My point really. 127.9 for petrol , 137.9 for diesel, BP bromley common, 128.9 for petrol, 138.9 diesel Shell Bromley common today.
  • If I remember correctly, only in the UK is diesel more expensive than petrol.
  • Could it be a) opportunistic profit taking from the oil companies b ) for some reason diesel costs more to make in the UK than in continental Europe
  • what i want to know is that how the hell can i pay £124.6 per ltr for dielsel in Walsall Sainsbury and then sainsbury enfield charge me £1.36 ltr piss take of the highest order

Wow! That is a tad pricey.
  • My point really. 127.9 for petrol , 137.9 for diesel, BP bromley common, 128.9 for petrol, 138.9 diesel Shell Bromley common today.

Could it be a) opportunistic profit taking from the oil companies b ) for some reason diesel costs more to make in the UK than in continental Europe

It’s only a matter of time before some MP jumps up and blames the banks, foreign exchange rates, etc etc, new regulations get put in to improve competition and make sure petrol stations get a fair deal and petrol and diesel go up to £2 a litre as a result
  • I surprised nobody has blamed Corbyn. Give it time!

That's why employers used to pay London weighting......its not just housing that costs more darn sarf.

Also.........you want to make sure you fill up before going back up there, even if it does cost you £1.36 because you don't want to get caught short & have to fill up at a service station on the M1 or M6. around £1.50 I believe.

I paid £1.38 yesterday in Swanley. thought about looking for somewhere cheaper, but most are around £1.36 or £1.37. even filling up completely is about 50 litres - £1 extra max, so hardly worth worrying about.

For me the issue between petrol & diesel is fuel consumption. I get close to 50 mpg in my car on a good run. Last time we holidayed in Devon I only had to fill up once & did about 700 miles on a tank of fuel. I don't think a petrol car would do that........or have they changed in the past 6 years since I last drove a petrol car.

That's why employers used to pay London weighting......its not just housing that costs more darn sarf.

Also.........you want to make sure you fill up before going back up there, even if it does cost you £1.36 because you don't want to get caught short & have to fill up at a service station on the M1 or M6. around £1.50 I believe.

I paid £1.38 yesterday in Swanley. thought about looking for somewhere cheaper, but most are around £1.36 or £1.37. even filling up completely is about 50 litres - £1 extra max, so hardly worth worrying about.

For me the issue between petrol & diesel is fuel consumption. I get close to 50 mpg in my car on a good run. Last time we holidayed in Devon I only had to fill up once & did about 700 miles on a tank of fuel. I don't think a petrol car would do that........or have they changed in the past 6 years since I last drove a petrol car.
    Diesels still absolutely piss all over any petrol engine for economy on a run of 25 miles or more. Urban driving they aren't as good but long journeys and commutes I'd pick a diesel all day long.

Short journeys in diesels with particulate filters also build up to trouble.

Just outside is still too effing close