Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

School cleaner who never gave up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46058066

Salute this lady.
Her perseverance was amazing and many others benefitted from her bloody-mindedness.

Comments

• And her union.
  • "Unison used European law". Just as well we are taking back control.
  • The BBC report does not state how the Euro law stipulates how holiday pay is to be calculated. The report does state that in effect it was cheaper for LB Greenwich to settle rather than go to expensive tribunal litigation. All very unsatisfactory and it has cost the council tax payers £4 million .. I find it troubling that a tribunal hearing, even a high court hearing could cost that much money
  • The BBC report does not state how the Euro law stipulates how holiday pay is to be calculated. The report does state that in effect it was cheaper for LB Greenwich to settle rather than go to expensive tribunal litigation. All very unsatisfactory and it has cost the council tax payers £4 million .. I find it troubling that a tribunal hearing, even a high court hearing could cost that much money

That’s why I always regret not becoming a lawyer.
  • buckshee said:

"Unison used European law". Just as well we are taking back control.

Yeah I’m sure when we leave the European Union they will just not bother having any laws.
    Have you seen the sort of people who will be making those new laws?

I don’t think the issue is how holiday pay is calculated in itself. It’s that you have to treat your employees equally, which Greenwich didn’t.

As for settling - if they thought they had a case, I’m sure they would have gone to a tribunal. I assume they were advised they would lose, so may as well pay up the £4m now, than go to a tribunal and pay £4m plus everyone’s legal fees.
  • Ah! The old, 'it's cheaper for us to settle than the cost to go to Court' routine.

Sure sign that you've no chance of winning the case.
  • Uboat said:

buckshee said:

Yeah I’m sure when we leave the European Union they will just not bother having any laws.
    Have you seen some of the ones in Europe making the laws that effect us?
  • Uboat said:

buckshee said:

There is a way of changing them though aint there. Okay it will only be for another load of numpties, but at least they will be numpties elected in by the British people.
  • Sponsored links:

• Head of the EU Single Market ?
    A lady with a degree in Iranian studies from a Polish university, with no experience in trade or foreign affairs, appointed by the EU Commissioner on £250k a year.
  • edited November 2018

Head of the EU Single Market ?
    A lady with a degree in Iranian studies from a Polish university, with no experience in trade or foreign affairs, appointed by the EU Commissioner on £250k a year.

Who is the head of the EU Single Market and what's it got to do with the school cleaner?
  • These unruly serfs should accept what they're given. How do they expect Britain to become Great again if they keep at it with all their whinging? God Save The Queen

Who is the head of the EU Single Market and what's it got to do with the school cleaner?
    What's the Queen got to do with the school cleaner?
  • edited November 2018

Head of the EU Single Market ?

What's the Queen got to do with the school cleaner?
    She is her Head of State, obviously there isn't a way that we can just change her, but she's ours

Wiki explains the role of Head of State

EU Single Market, I can't see what it's got to do with the school cleaner, I mean it was interesting to read the head is a lady with a degree in Iranian studies from a Polish university, with no experience in trade or foreign affairs, appointed by the EU Commissioner on £250k a year, but just can't see the relevence
  • The title of this thread suggests it was a very clean school
  • lolwray said:

The title of this thread suggests it was a very clean school

Droll, lol, droll!

Exactly, it’s a powerful position and the post holder is an unknown.

My post was in reference to the democracy table above my post., so I ask the same question about that one.
  • edited November 2018
    Uboat said:

buckshee said:

Very very funny. You've got more chance of seeing our idiots who make the laws than any EU idiots making any laws...
  • Sponsored links:

My post was in reference to the democracy table above my post., so I ask the same question about that one.
    Unknown to who? You make it sound like they just plucked her of the street. She was the Minister for Infrastructure & Develoment for Poland, and Deputy Prime Minister. So she’s not exactly unqualified for a role in government. The fact that you (and me) haven’t heard of her doesn’t make her unqualified for the job.

Unknown to who? You make it sound like they just plucked her of the street. She was the Minister for Infrastructure & Develoment for Poland, and Deputy Prime Minister. So she’s not exactly unqualified for a role in government. The fact that you (and me) haven’t heard of her doesn’t make her unqualified for the job.
    Let's not derail the thread please.

I said she had no experience in trade of foreign affairs - you assumed the rest.

But let's not derail the thread.