Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Most Influential Charlton player.

Not best player, a new slant. Who has been the most influentia

Comments

• Current? Pearce probably.
  • Don Welsh
  • The late Ted Croker was at the top of either the FA or the football league at one time so would have been influential. I think Eric Dier is his grandson too so he's influenced the England team indirectly.
  • Not best player, a new slant. Who has been the most influentia

In which era would that be......there are quite a few but at different times and in different ways.
    Great players are naturally seen as being influential.....so in what way do you mean?
    On the pitch or off it......it’s an almost impossible question to ask unless you are more specific as to what you mean by influential.
  • edited November 2018
    Over the last 60 years I'd have to say Mendonca for his goal scoring feat at Wembley in the play off final which provided the building blocks for the extended run in the Premier league, two seasons later.
  • In terms of football my late father and grandparents told me that Sam Bartram was the best goalkeeper never to play for England. They said it was because he would dribble with the ball sometimes venturing quite a way up the field.

All goalkeepers have had to dribble rather than pick the ball up in the area for quite a few years.

Maybe Sam influenced that. I was too young to see him play myself which may surprise some.
  • Karim bagheri. What a tache.
  • RedChaser said:

Over the last 60 years I'd have to say Mendonca for his goal scoring feat at Wembley in the play off final which provided the building blocks for the extended run in the Premier league, two seasons later.

I’m not taking anything away from Clive and arguably Robinson was only a bit player on the day but I wonder what would have happened had we been denied Clive’s services for that season (due to random injury/whatever) or if we had been denied Mssr Robinson’s for the whole season??
  • Sponsored links:

• Any era. I think Mendonca, with Kinsella close.
    Robert Lee as his sale got us back to the Valley.
    A slight odd ball , Thuram, as he was the evidence that Roland was ruining the club.
  • iainment said:

Curbs.

Sneaky....for me he was a bang-average player...
  • edited November 2018
    Killer. We were a different team when he was injured (or more likely suspended).
    Colin Walsh.
  • Fumbluff said:

iainment said:

Curbs.

Sneaky....for me he was a bang-average player...
    Ok, Chris Powell then.
  • Di Canio
    Dragged the existing standards up by the neck to make us a proper Prem side.
  • Capitano said:

In my time, it has to be mark kinsella. Lifted the play off final trophy at Wembley and won a league title. Legend in every sense.

My thoughts, precisely
  • Capitano said:

In my time, it has to be mark kinsella. Lifted the play off final trophy at Wembley and won a league title. Legend in every sense.

Kinsella was also my initial reaction, What I would call a "proper" captain.
  • Johnnie Jackson for me. We haven't had much "proper Charlton" in the last 5 years but always had that one constant connection to the fans through all the shit we have dealt with. It's easy to pick the players like Mendonca or Robinson (my fave player btw when I was younger) when the times are good but I think the true heroes are the ones who lead us through and keep the light burning through adversity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Been watching Charlton for 55 years and in my opinion Scott Parker was the most influential player
  • Mark Kinsella was the epitamy of an influential player . Nobody in the last 30 years had come as close .
  • Been watching Charlton for 55 years and in my opinion Scott Parker was the most influential player

I would second that. But I've only been watching us for 53 years!

Probably noticed most keenly once he left
  • Kishishev
  • Scott Parker. It was like having an extra player in the side whenever he pulled on the shirt for us during his peak.
  • Peter Shirtliff. He was a calm driver of Lennie Lawrence's re-built side and he did so with determination, courage and positivity.
    His play-off goals were crucial to the immediate well-being of the club, but his influence was noted both before and after them.

This is a good shout.

We were relegated the season after he left despite breaking our transfer record for his replacement.