Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Algarve and Lisbon in Portugal

Flying out to Faro on Friday .

I am staying in a resort called Falesia although we are spending one night in Lisbon .

Any Lifers have any ideas on what to see ?

Comments

• edited October 2018
    Go up to the castle for amazing views, and spend an afternoon in Faro old town if you get the chance - it's nice.
  • One I can think of.
  • Bairro Alto at night in Lisbon is cool, head there for dinner.
  • WSAWSA
    edited November 2018
    The cliffs at Falesia beach are amazing.

I don't know how old you are, but Albufeira is where a lot of Brits head for winter - not my scene.

Vilamoura (posh marina) is a long walk along from Falesia or a stop-off for a coffee/beer.

Alvor (quaint town), nice beach and beautiful white sands in the estuary when the tide goes out.

Faro Beach (behind the airport) is beautiful. If you are into walking you can do a circular walk (5-6 miles) from the carpark by the runways along the cycle path in the Ria Formosa nature reserve, passed the golf course to the wooden bridge then walk back along the beach Then cross the single road traffic bridge from the beach back to the runway view point car park. The team did some of their pre-season training here and Falesia.

Silves (Roman bridge, windmill on hill), Barragem de Arade (reservoir) up the road in the orange groves again if you like walking.

Praia dos Tres Castelos and walk along to Praia de Rocha

Farragudo - attractive fishing village

Armacao de Pera - fishing boats on beach and inlet

Praia da Marinha - pretty coves

Benagil Sea Cave
  • McBobbin said:

Bairro Alto at night in Lisbon is cool, head there for dinner.

Second that, absolutely love that area...

• Richard J said:

Flying out to Faro on Friday .

I am staying in a resort called Falesia although we are spending one night in Lisbon .

Any Lifers have any ideas on what to see ?

Just come back from a cruise, involving three stops at Portugal, (Lisbon, Algarve and Porto). My preference was Porto. I went on a Hop on hop off bus around Lisbon and spent a lot of time in traffic jams, but still found it interesting. One tip, if you go out for a drink, keep away from main tourist areas, local bars more interesting and cheaper prices. Enjoy yourself, Portugal was very interesting
  • In Lisbon, avoid the the touristy restaurants as they can try to rip you off. At least be careful on what you are ordering as they can really stack up the bill and get nasty when you refuse to pay it. (It happened to me).

Regarding what to see during the day in Lisbon. The castle is a good call (St. Georges I believe it's called). Shame you don't have time to go out to Sintra. From google "Sintra is a major tourist destination in Portugal, famed for its picturesqueness and for its numerous historic palaces and castles". I went there and it's fascinating.
  • Flew to Faro this summer spent most of the time further up the coast at Lagos. Was beautiful. Kayaking and boat trips up the caves were amazing!
  • You may not have time, but if you can get to Sintra, I highly recommend it. Do able as a day trip from Lisbon by train.

https://globeguide.ca/sintra-portugal/
  • If you go up to the castle in Lisbon, check out Chapito â Mèsa. Go for the restaurant, rather than the terrace. Brilliant views over the city.

I first went there in 95, when it wasn’t a restaurant, but part of the school for performance (dance, mime, acrobatics, clowns!!). Made to feel very welcome & they’ve since opened it up to the public for the restaurant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Park Bar, near Barro Alto - cracking rooftop bar on top of car park, good view of Lisbon and Lisbon's Christ the redeemer
  • You may not have time, but if you can get to Sintra, I highly recommend it. Do able as a day trip from Lisbon by train.

https://globeguide.ca/sintra-portugal/

Sintra is the reason we are doing an overnight in Lisbon. We are visiting it in the morning before going into the City.
  • Shame no-one gave me the heads up on this one.
  • Any recommendations on hotels to stay in August, or villas to rent ? 2 adults and 1 child. Thanks
  • cafcbrown said:

Any recommendations on hotels to stay in August, or villas to rent ? 2 adults and 1 child. Thanks

@Algarveaddick
  • I stayed in a nice apartment in the marina.
  • cafcbrown said:

Any recommendations on hotels to stay in August, or villas to rent ? 2 adults and 1 child. Thanks

My mate's place is available from the 7th at the moment. If you are interested PM me, I will get you a better rate than the one on Homeaway. https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p8536300