Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Where's the annual moan about Halloween thread?

More American crap over here.....blah blah
Of course we know better, the yanks took Hallowe'en from us in Western Europe of course.
I had cousins in Cornwall and they were Trick&Treating down there in the early 70's and probably earlier, funny lot the Cornish. I only seem to remember it from the 90's onwards in London.
Heard today that it is now absolutely huge in terms of business. Commercially it's 3rd to Easter and Christmas. The UK will spend £420m on it this year!

Comments

• Looks like you've just started it mate!
  • My wife absolutely loves this time of year and as I type is putting the finishing touches to our decorated house ready for the young trick or treaters

Because we've a school at the end of our road we get quite a good amount of kids going round
  • edited October 2018
    Riviera said:

Of course we know better, the yanks took Hallowe'en from us in Western Europe of course.
    I had cousins in Cornwall and they were Trick&Treating down there in the early 70's and probably earlier, funny lot the Cornish. I only seem to remember it from the 90's onwards in London.
    Heard today that it is now absolutely huge in terms of business. Commercially it's 3rd to Easter and Christmas. The UK will spend £420m on it this year!

I spent a tenner on sweets - so that's £419,999,990 left to go.

I never had to bother before as i lived in a flat and no kids came knocking........now I'm on an estate in Bromley that has been advertising the kids trick or treating on the residents FB page for a few days.

Leave the bucket of sweets outside and don't answer the door....that's the plan......bah humbug (or whatever the Halloween equivalent is?!?)
  • Can't bleedin' stand it but the kids like dressing up so I have to at least put up with it. I draw the line at trick or treating though!
  • Had a fantastic day in Prague Botanical Gardens. Their jack o lanterns weren't that scary though!
  • It's a bit of fun for kids and it annoys fundamentalist can, what's not to like?

Only negative I can see is that it diminishes bonfire night a little with no penny for the guy but still plenty of displays to go to.

We're always desperate to copy the US.
  • Riviera said:

I never had to bother before as i lived in a flat and no kids came knocking........now I'm on an estate in Bromley that has been advertising the kids trick or treating on the residents FB page for a few days.

Leave the bucket of sweets outside and don't answer the door....that's the plan......bah humbug (or whatever the Halloween equivalent is?!?)
    I live on an estate in Beckenham and it's absolute chaos with kids.

I'm going to the pub!
  • It's a bit of fun for kids and it annoys fundamentalist can, what's not to like?

Only negative I can see is that it diminishes bonfire night a little with no penny for the guy but still plenty of displays to go to.

As @Riviera has correctly pointed out it's a British tradition that was exported to the colonies.

In Cornwall, Scotland and elsewhere it has always been celebrated.

Don't be so anglocentric and celebrate it
  • Sponsored links:

• Kids round where I live only accept cash - keeps your home secure unless you don't pay.

As @Riviera has correctly pointed out it's a British tradition that was exported to the colonies.

We're copying the American version in the way it's been so over hyped. I don't live in Cornwall or Scotland.

We're copying the American version in the way it's been so over hyped. I don't live in Cornwall or Scotland.
    So? They copied us.

Hail hail rock and roll
  • Riviera said:

Not sure how far you are from me suede but can you give me your address so I can send them down your way.

So? They copied us.

Hail hail rock and roll
    It'll soon be over.

Roll on bonfire night. Which display are you off to?
  • We didn't get any callers last year,but I have bought some sweets in case.

I've put them in a bowl, but not sure if it is best to hand a couple of sweets to them when they call or let them help themselves. What do others do?
  • Think you need to experience Halloween in Central Europe. Was in Germany once and it was very atmospheric. Most shop doorways had various pumpkins and street torches everywhere. Lots of people out and about after dark with much more emphasis on adults enjoying themselves along with the kids. Bit half hearted in the U.K. with it geared for kids collecting bags full of sweets. I think it could be so much more.
  • Sponsored links:

• My wife persuaded me a few years ago to embrace it. I actually love the kids doing it and I spent more money than I'm proud to admit on sweets and treats for them

What nobody likes is older kids expecting money which is begging and anti social

Also my neighbours dogs scare the shit out of people which is funny to watch
  • Carter said:

My wife persuaded me a few years ago to embrace it. I actually love the kids doing it and I spent more money than I'm proud to admit on sweets and treats for them

What nobody likes is older kids expecting money which is begging and anti social

Also my neighbours dogs scare the shit out of people which is funny to watch

I think this is the key. Embrace it and it'll be fun. Sit there all miserable with the lights off pretending no one's at home and you'll hate it.
  • Nothing more than legalised thieving out of a bowl.
  • Some years no one has knocked, but some years I've had as many as 10 or 12. Either way the 60 individual items from the fun sized packs I bought should cover it - even allowing for the 5/6 (whose counting?) packs of maltesers that have just disappeared :smile:
  • Some years no one has knocked, but some years I've had as many as 10 or 12. Either way the 60 individual items from the fun sized packs I bought should cover it - even allowing for the 5/6 (whose counting?) packs of maltesers that have just disappeared :smile:

Good job they've got less fattening centres then mate (wasted on the younger generation) :wink: .
  • 'bag-o-shite' in the words of a great Northern philosopher.
  • RedChaser said:

Some years no one has knocked, but some years I've had as many as 10 or 12. Either way the 60 individual items from the fun sized packs I bought should cover it - even allowing for the 5/6 (whose counting?) packs of maltesers that have just disappeared :smile:

Good job they've got less fattening centres then mate (wasted on the younger generation) :wink: .
    Quite! That's why I left the Mars bars.
  • I have no issue with it and although our kids are adults we have a pumpkin and will give out sweets.
    I don't do anything in my pub for it, nor Valentines or any Saints days. We only do Christmas. I am however going to a Halloween quiz night at another pub this evening.
  • Where I used to live it used to really piss me off, hardly any little kids would do it and lots of the local shitheads would. My housemate wouldn't get off the commuter coach until fairly late quite often he'd meet me in the pub, have a beer and he pair of us would walk back together. He wasn't being social, the dipstick would forget his keys on a daily basis. Anyway the shortcut back to my house then took in a pathway through some woods and went past a little swing and kids playground. Someone decided in their wisdom to jump out and scream TRICK OR TREEEEEAT before I'd had time to even jump in fright, he'd lashed out and knocked the asbo flat on his back, I then started pissing myself as he was scared of his own shadow and worse than useless in any sort of physical confrontation. The asbo had a bleeding nose and was crying his eyes out I hadn't laughed that hard in ages and it's making me giggle thinking about it.

In those days he didn't have a Facebook account so I immediately did the honourable thing and told everyone on my friends list he'd been assaulted by some asbo in a Freddy Krueger mask and was pretty shaken up.

I think this was in 2008 or 2009 and it's only recently that I've told people the true story