Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Welling Utd

back in the day when I was not allowed to go Charlton as it was too far i followed welling utd for a while (my real local team) as my scum mates say....I went down there on Saturday to see them get their backsides kicked by a team for the div below in the FA Cup. It was a good laugh and what more entertainment can you get for a £10. Very sarcastic fans who slate their own at the slightest error and you get to abuse the away keeper and he can actually here you....FANTASTIC!! There was a crowd of 802. I would say that the entertainment was pretty good. Does any one local have memories of the old Welling cup runs from the late 80's early nineties.... or just in general when we was a real football club with the 5,000 hardcore.... Great days, I wish we was still there..

Comments

• i too enjoyed Sat, even though the result and performance was awful. Worst Welling performance i have seen in many years.

Want to all the cup games back then, including every one of the mammoth Reading replay's, fantastic times. Also remember we used to get decent crowds for our Charlton reserve games over there at that time, even used to have a little sing in the last block of the seats.

Half that lot over there would be thrown out the Valley within ten minutes from half the abuse you hear. Entertaining though.
  • I cut my teeth on Welling Utd. My dad used to take me to all their home games back in the late 60s. I particularly remember hating half time as 15 minutes seemed so long for a child. Not sure how Welling turned into Charlton though..... :-)
  • Were they Welling United in the 60s ? Weren't they Bexleyheath United, or Welling & Bexleyheath ?

I'm sure they played Man United once, but i might of made that up...
  • Bexley United played at Park View before they went bust and then Welling moved in.
  • [cite] AFKA Bartram:[/cite]Were they Welling United in the 60s ? Weren't they Bexleyheath United, or Welling & Bexleyheath ?

Nope, you're right Bexleyheath & Welling played Man United in the FA Youth Cup back in the early 50's. The United team contained Bobby Charlton and a couple of the others involved at Munich.
  • Ok they lost tonight but they have been doing really well and were top before tonight. Not seen them mentioned on here.
  • Riviera said:

Ok they lost tonight but they have been doing really well and were top before tonight. Not seen them mentioned on here.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/57312/non-league-latest#latest
  • shirty5 said:

Riviera said:

Ok they lost tonight but they have been doing really well and were top before tonight. Not seen them mentioned on here.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/57312/non-league-latest#latest
    Surely they deserve their own thread, in fact this is their own thread.
  • going great guns this season, disappointing 2-0 defeat last night, but having a fantastic season so far
  • I went last Saturday because we were away.

Best Welling side I've seen for a few years as ive been pretty disappointed the standard of football when going in the past.

Little fella loves it though sitting right behind dug out and listening to them tear the Lino a new one every decision.

Proper football.
  • Sponsored links:

• They were excellent Saturday and have been on most of the occasions I've seen them this season. Much improved from last season, Steve King is doing a great job.

• [cite] AFKA Bartram:[/cite]Were they Welling United in the 60s ? Weren't they Bexleyheath United, or Welling & Bexleyheath ?

Nope, you're right Bexleyheath & Welling played Man United in the FA Youth Cup back in the early 50's. The United team contained Bobby Charlton and a couple of the others involved at Munich.

Bexleyheath & Welling colts were the only non league side in the South Eastern Counties league with the likes of Arsenal Chelsea and all the other London clubs. I saw them play Chelsea who had Jimmy Greaves and Barry Bridges among others.

Bexleyheath & Welling colts were the only non league side in the South Eastern Counties league with the likes of Arsenal Chelsea and all the other London clubs. I saw them play Chelsea who had Jimmy Greaves and Barry Bridges among others.

Bexleyheath & Welling were the first club I supported in the Southern League.

My first footballing hero was the goalkeeper Stan Howe.

Others I remember, Terry Gill, David Peters, Roy Johnson.
  • I’m surprised Roly hasn’t tried this to save on the electric bill.
  • Had half a dozen or so Wealdstone fans in my pub this morning, good lads. Do you wantsum? wasn't with them.
  • Not long back from the match, quietly minding my own business enjoying my Guinness when about 10 fat, bald middle-aged tossers decided to stand next to me and then basically abuse everyone they could, the ref, the lino, Welling Players, anyone standing nearby, all called c***s in the loudest possible terms. A steward asked them to behave but he was told to 'jog-on' by some little weasel wearing a burberry fishing hat. Can't escape from these morons anywhere. Welling were truly awful btw.....
  • Wings score a last minute equaliser, 1-1. Highlight of the game was towards the end of the 2nd half. Their keeper had been taking his hat in and off throughout the half and while it was by the side of the goal, someone emptied a whole pint into it. He didn’t say anything at the time but after the final whistle, went to kick off with the fans behind the goal. He ended up being led away and had another drink thrown over him for good measure.

Would imagine there’ll be repercussions from the league.

Quite funny, but what a waste of a pint!
  • Not long back from the match, quietly minding my own business enjoying my Guinness when about 10 fat, bald middle-aged tossers decided to stand next to me and then basically abuse everyone they could, the ref, the lino, Welling Players, anyone standing nearby, all called c***s in the loudest possible terms. A steward asked them to behave but he was told to 'jog-on' by some little weasel wearing a burberry fishing hat. Can't escape from these morons anywhere. Welling were truly awful btw.....

Wealdstone or welling fans?
  • Sponsored links:

more like Charlton boycotters ; )

Sorry mate, I’ll let my mates know you ain’t happy.

Cant imagine Welling fan calling their own players c***s but then.............

No, they were Wealdstone.

• Frigging cost me 2.5k on my acca yesterday - tw@ts