Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brazil becomes great again

Welcome to hell!

Comments

• Bolsonaro seems to be modelled on Duterte in the Philippines and looks to be a pretty terrifying character. The far right are on the march.

I imagine Trump will be a fan.
  • It would seem that the alternative was yet more corruption.

The Brazilians weren't exactly blessed with a raft of decent options.

Maybe they didn't know what they were voting for. I think sending a delegation from a little enclave in South East London, to tell them how they should have voted, can only be a good thing.

Start up the engines.

Will you be joining the delegation as per your suggestion?
  • Huskaris said:

Can't they just have another vote until they get the answer The Guardian know to be the correct one?

Comedy gold!
  • edited October 2018

It would seem that the alternative was yet more corruption.

Maybe they didn't know what they were voting for. I think sending a delegation from a little enclave in South East London, to tell them how they should have voted, can only be a good thing.

Start up the engines.

Are you paying?

Maybe we could share a twin room.

All that said, I'm sure gammon twitter has gone in to meltdown, hence Keith's post.
  • Goes to show how people react when the political class are corrupt, people's lives are blighted by inequality and violent crime is on the increase.

Not sure how more gun are going to help...

I'll be watching what goes on through my fingers.

Start up the engines.

Are you paying?

It was your suggestion. You could represent SE London to discuss the voting.

How are you this morning young man?

• McBobbin said:

Goes to show how people react when the political class are corrupt, people's lives are blighted by inequality and violent crime is on the increase.

Not sure how more gun are going to help...

I'll be watching what goes on through my fingers.

I'm sure he'll do a very good hardman impersonation and wear a baseball cap.
  • Sponsored links:

Start up the engines.

Are you paying?

I don't believe I know better than the Brazilians so wouldn't add anything to the London delegations posturing.

I'm bright eyed and bushy tailed today, thank you Hoofster. Yourself? Not as triggered as Keith by the sound of it :wink:

Start up the engines.

Are you paying?

I don't believe I know better than the Brazilians so wouldn't add anything to the London delegations posturing.

I'm bright eyed and bushy tailed today, thank you Hoofster. Yourself? Not as triggered as Keith by the sound of it :wink:

Start up the engines.

Are you paying?

I'm okay.

As long as we have royalty we'll be spared an authoritarian President whether they be from the right or the left.

Start up the engines.

Are you paying?

Start up the engines.

Are you paying?

I'm okay.

As long as we have royalty we'll be spared an authoritarian President whether they be from the right or the left.
    Let's hope that the anti Royalists and pro republic types don't get their own way.

Start up the engines.

Are you paying?

Start up the engines.

Are you paying?

I'm okay.

Let's hope that the anti Royalists and pro republic types don't get their own way.
    The least bad is sometimes the best we can aspire to.

• This time it isn't about gammon or culture wars or whatever. Brazilian corruption is endemic; strange to see some people here prefer it with a side-order of unspeakably evil intent and planetary-scale ecological destruction
  • Leuth said:

This time it isn't about gammon or culture wars or whatever. Brazilian corruption is endemic; strange to see some people here prefer it with a side-order of unspeakably evil intent and planetary-scale ecological destruction

Not been following it mate. Take it from your last sentence this chap is for tearing down the rainforest? Poor if so.

I went to Brazil for my honeymoon back in 2012, remember returning to my hotel room on an island called Moro de Sao Paulao to find out Johnnie Jackson had scored against sheff wed with that free kick to give us a 1-0 win in our title winning season. A great country
  • cabbles said:

Leuth said:

This time it isn't about gammon or culture wars or whatever. Brazilian corruption is endemic; strange to see some people here prefer it with a side-order of unspeakably evil intent and planetary-scale ecological destruction

Take it from your last sentence this chap is for tearing down the rainforest? Poor if so.
    This is probably understatement of the website
  • Leuth said:

cabbles said:

Leuth said:

Take it from your last sentence this chap is for tearing down the rainforest? Poor if so.
    And I like how I used this thread to rekindle my memories of the 1-0 win at sheff wed that I missed. Probably not what you wanted when you opened the discussion :wink:
  • cabbles said:

Leuth said:

cabbles said:

Leuth said:

And I like how I used this thread to rekindle my memories of the 1-0 win at sheff wed that I missed. Probably not what you wanted when you opened the discussion :wink:
    No, that being the highlight of your honeymoon reflects the general mood of this thread ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Good luck to the people of Brazil - democracy means you get the leaders you deserve.
  • bobmunro said:

Good luck to the people of Brazil - democracy means you get the leaders you deserve.

Authoritarian figures on both the left and ŕight have a pretty disastrous record in world history and I've never understood the attraction.

The old Fun Boy Three song 'The Lunatics Have Taken Over the Asylum' springs to mind.

It's a measure of how bad things are in Brazil that a guy like this can get elected.
  • Let's wait for a while and see what happens .. Brazil as a society has been in a complete mess (and getting messier) for a long time .. The Brazilian people have decided a change at the top is needed

Start up the engines.

Are you paying?

Start up the engines.

Are you paying?

I'm okay.

Like Ireland then. Or France.

Start up the engines.

Are you paying?

Start up the engines.

Are you paying?

I'm okay.

Like Ireland then. Or France.
    I mean 'the possibility of' an authoritarian President. I'm no great fan of royalty but I could quite easily see the UK electing an authoritarian President.
  • Leuth said:

Welcome to hell!

When the status quo fails you get a reaction. Fail to control immigration - Brexit, Housing/inequality crisis - Corbyn? The Brazilian's wouldn't be voting for this guy if parties of the centre and left hadn't messed up the economy and lost control of law and order. When Bolsonaro in turn fails you can (and I'm sure will) cheer on the Brazilian Chavez to your heart's content.
  • Unless the president had the same power as the Queen perhaps?

I can't even begin to image who I'd vote for as president. Hoping the queen would run.
  • Let's wait for a while and see what happens .. Brazil as a society has been in a complete mess (and getting messier) for a long time .. The Brazilian people have decided a change at the top is needed

Are you optimistic about a right wing authoritarian leader ? Just curious. Which ones do you think have been good examples in world history.

Brazil is obviously in a mess - that much is obvious.
  • It's not really a very surprising result though is it? Violent crime is extremely high in Brazil, and people there can't turn to their government to fix it because they're so corrupt. People are scared and Bolsonaro offers them hope that the things that directly affect them might change. The fact he's a horrible, hateful, dreadful little man is a very unfortunate part of it, and he will almost certainly make Brazil a worse place. The reality with populism is though that people will quite happily turn a blind eye to racism, sexism and homophobia if they're not immediately going to suffer for those views in exchange for a big change in their lives. They won't be so cheerful when Bolsonaro starts putting together his military regime and his views on torture and brutal prisons do become a reality for the voters, but hindsight won't help unelect him.

This is the time of extremes, and the logical people need to come up with a better plan than screeching at the voters that they're stupid for thinking the bad people can help them, because it's clearly not working.