Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Obscure players you remember for weird reasons

I always remember Maurice Malpas and Stuart Nethercott because they were the the most common Proset card and Panini stickers respectively in a couple of different years.

Tons of Championship Manager/Football Manager players like Ibrahima Bakayoko and Cherno Samba who were never as good in real life.

Remember Jose Dominguez, the ex-Spurs player really well as a mate at school had a weird obsession with him, he honestly thought he was one of the best players in the league but didn't get many chances.

Comments

• MrLargo said:

Tom Hovi, on loan with us, instrumental in ruining my 15th birthday by gifting Derby most of their goals as they came back from 3-1 down to beat us 4-3. Subsequently annoyed me further by constantly appearing in ITV Champions League matches for Rosenborg.

A trio of Port Vale players from the mid-90s. Paul Musselwhite, goalkeeper, annoying haircut. Martin Foyle, looked 55 for his entire career. Tony Naylor, looked like a scallywag, probably stole Rowntrees Fruit Pastilles from his local corner shop on a regular basis.

Joe Allon, former Newcastle player. His face annoyed me so much as a 6 year old that I ruined my completed 1986 Panini sticker album by putting a Dennis the Menace sticker over his face. Seems I'm not the only one who felt that way:

Luke Chadwick was the butt of many jokes at school for his unfortunate looks
  • MrLargo said:

Tom Hovi, on loan with us, instrumental in ruining my 15th birthday by gifting Derby most of their goals as they came back from 3-1 down to beat us 4-3. Subsequently annoyed me further by constantly appearing in ITV Champions League matches for Rosenborg.

A trio of Port Vale players from the mid-90s. Paul Musselwhite, goalkeeper, annoying haircut. Martin Foyle, looked 55 for his entire career. Tony Naylor, looked like a scallywag, probably stole Rowntrees Fruit Pastilles from his local corner shop on a regular basis.

Joe Allon, former Newcastle player. His face annoyed me so much as a 6 year old that I ruined my completed 1986 Panini sticker album by putting a Dennis the Menace sticker over his face. Seems I'm not the only one who felt that way:

Luke Chadwick was the butt of many jokes at school for his unfortunate looks
    Think he used to get compared to Plug from the Bash Street Kids if I remember rightly.
  • Largo and I are similar age so he’s nailed a couple for me. Add to that Tony Philiskirk of Peterborough around the early 90s. David Lee of Chelsea. I remember that Derby defeat, but I don’t remember that Tom Hovi.

What I did find obscure was when speaking to my friend recently, we were reminiscing about the Anglo Italian Cup. I took him to our home game against Ascoli, and he reminded me that they had a certain Oliver Bierhoff in their team that night. Oblivious as I was at the age of 11 we were watching a proper talent who would go on to be a German intl. apparently curbs had been so impressed with him that he had enquired about signing him. One can only assume that had we got him, then the on/off Chris Malkin transfer saga from Millwall a season later would’ve never had happened.....
  • Good memory @cabbles, I'd forgotten about the Chris Malkin transfer saga. Failed a medical after we'd agreed a fee of £400k I think.

I do remember that Curbs wanted Bierhoff. Front three of Bierhoff, Leaburn and Garry Nelson would have been alright!
  • Sponsored links:

• Ali Dia. He was purported to be the cousin of George Weah but was somehow signed by Graeme Souness. He came on once for Southampton as a substitute but was then substituted. His stats on Wikipedia are worth a read.
  • Nigel Batch, permed Grimsby Town keeper in the early 80s who engaged with the CE and Kevin Hector, Derby from when I was really young because he had an action football sticker (that you had to lick) as opposed to a head and shoulders shot
  • MrLargo said:

Good memory @cabbles, I'd forgotten about the Chris Malkin transfer saga. Failed a medical after we'd agreed a fee of £400k I think.

I do remember that Curbs wanted Bierhoff. Front three of Bierhoff, Leaburn and Garry Nelson would have been alright!

Mate I think we were so starved of transfers back then as we had no money after going back to the valley, I clung to it all. I remember the excitement of getting that right back Matt Jackson for £250k in March 96
  • Jeremy Goss

Didn't we sign him, only for him to go to Hearts, 23 hours later?
  • Jeremy Goss

As in the bloke that scored that cracker for Norwich against Bayern Munich at Carrow Road in the UEFA Cup?
  • cabbles said:

Jeremy Goss

As in the bloke that scored that cracker for Norwich against Bayern Munich at Carrow Road in the UEFA Cup?
    That's him. We ended up signing Brendan O'Connell from Barnsley instead. A competent but easily forgettable player.
  • Steve Ogrizovic.

Always remember him getting a particular nasty kick in the head from Ian Wright I think.
    His then manager, Big Ron , said in his post match interview that they were going to get Barratts in to do some reconstruction surgery!
  • Ian Bogie and Brian Tinnion. I always remember them for coming on as subs for Newcastle when we played them in the late 80s. What a claim to fame that is
  • Sponsored links:

• Another one is Phil Babb, mainly remember him for him smashing his bollocks on the post.

I remember Peter Fear being a running joke in Match magazine for a while.
  • MrLargo said:

cabbles said:

Jeremy Goss

That's him. We ended up signing Brendan O'Connell from Barnsley instead. A competent but easily forgettable player.
    Or the man in the hole as he was known as Curbs mooted with a faux number 10
  • Kinkladze from Man city
  • Danny Warden for his hair.
  • Steve Davis, Burnley Captain. (From mid 90s). A number of random ones that stick in my mind derive from the end of season videos from the 90s with commentary by Steve Dixon and John fuller. Marco gabbiadini (or gabbradina as JF called him) is another from the above mentioned derby county debacle.

John hendrie always sticks in my mind as well when he was banging them in for boro.

Uwe Fuchs.

Then loads of championship manager legends. Reuser was sensational on cm97/98. As was Mbo Mpenza. And bizarrely, Leyton orient’s bjorn heidenstrom, an ageing Norwegian centre half come dmc who was able to make the step up from the lower reaches to being a champions league winner with incredulous ease.
  • Didn't like Mark Lillis of Huddersfield. Silly haircut and did a silly arm pumping thing after scoring 2 pens at Leeds Road (the day Mark Stuart scored on his debut). He got a 3rd pen but Johns saved it.
  • Steve Ogrizovic.

Always remember him getting a particular nasty kick in the head from Ian Wright I think.
    His then manager, Big Ron , said in his post match interview that they were going to get Barratts in to

Steve Ogrizovic.

His then manager, Big Ron , said in his post match interview that they were going to get Barratts in to do some reconstruction surgery!

Was raised in Shrewsbury and was at oggies first game for the town.He came out for the warm up doing keepy uppies all the way....got to the penalty spot and vollied the ball over the open terrace ...pissed myself