Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Could Duchatelet reap La Liga rewards with Alcorcon?

Whilst Charlton have descended from the Championship to mid table in League One under Duchatelet's ownership, his Spanish side Alcorcon, although flirting with relegation from the Spanish equivalent of the Championship (Segunda) in the first season after he took over, are, before tonight's game anyway, only 1 point off top spot having lost only only one of their 10 games and having conceded only 3 goals!

Should they get promotion to La Liga (Prima? or whatever it is called) the Madrid side will play host to their giant neighbours Real and Atletico not to mention Messi's Barcelona at their tiny 7,000 capacity stadium.

As unlikely as it maybe, should they go up then presumably this will be in spite of Duchaelet rather than because of him. Although I have no evidence whatsoever to back this up I cannot for the life of me imagine that Duchatelet treats Alcorcon any differently to Charlton with both clubs having been purchased by him at about the same time.

I am aware that Duchatelet was photographed on the pitch in 2014 at a home game and has paid for some improvements to the Santo Domingo ground but has he ever been back? Does he fund transfers? Does he take an active interest in the Club?

If the answer to the above three questions is no then I find it particularly galling that Alcorcon could potentially earn Duchatelet a nice windfall should their current form continue when in all probability he has done little to support them in a genuine and beneficial way but then I'm just a biased, bitter and twisted, anti-regime vinegar pisser.

Comments

• edited October 2018
    Not sure about this, but I believe this article is claiming that he has actually converted loans of 5.7 million euros to Alcorcon to equity:

https://translate.google.es/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=https://www.palco23.com/clubes/la-ad-alcorcon-apuntala-su-futuro-tras-capitalizar-prestamos-por-57-millones.html&prev=search

EDIT: it's probably just an accounting trick, not actually writing off the debt.
  • edited October 2018

Isnt the tv money in Spain horrifically skewed to the top 2-3 teams? Specifically real and Barca.

Can’t see it making much of a profit for the douche unlike premier league football.

Not any more... It seems the bottom team can make 60 million euros for the season.

https://www.totalsportek.com/money/spanish-la-liga-new-3-year-tv-deal-worth-e2-65-billion/
  • If he does trouser a wad from this perhaps he might change his attitude to funding a Charlton push up the leagues.
  • Duchatelet (or to be precise his son) also had success with Ujpest FC last season when they won the Hungarian Cup. This got them into the Europa League this season, their involvement in which ended in the 2nd Round when Spanish club Sevilla hit 7 goals past them.

Otherwise agree with the comments about Alcorcon. Like a lot of European leagues (and like the Scottish Premiership, too) La Liga's top couple of clubs are utterly massive...you then get a slew of what we would regard as Championship outfits and drift down to a number that would be good quality League One sides in the UK.

• Today's results

Rochdale 1-0 CAFC
    MTK 1-0 Ujpest
    Tenerife 3-2 Alcorcon
    Cottbus 2-1 FCC
  • Totally disagree with the comment about the Spanish league - teams like Sevilla, Betis and Espanyol are hardly the standard of Championship teams. It's a far more open league than people who don't watch it think, as shown by the current table and some of the results this season. Comparing La Liga teams to League One level is ridiculous.

I agree CM, but however, its always RM or Barca that win it.
    At least in the Prem you can have 4/5 teams that win it, and errrr,,,,Leicester.
  • Isnt the tv money in Spain horrifically skewed to the top 2-3 teams? Specifically real and Barca.

Can’t see it making much of a profit for the douche unlike premier league football.

Not any more... It seems the bottom team can make 60 million euros for the season.

https://www.totalsportek.com/money/spanish-la-liga-new-3-year-tv-deal-worth-e2-65-billion/
    Didn't know about this. Improvement on the old system, but in following the FAPL model, where 90% of the money stays in the top league, they set clubs up for financial Armageddon on relegation. And no mention there of parachute money, (not that I like that system).

Alcorcon are going nowhere. The only success for RD is Jena, where of course the 50+1 system has successfully limited his interference.

• Sponsored links:

• Totally disagree with the comment about the Spanish league - teams like Sevilla, Betis and Espanyol are hardly the standard of Championship teams. It's a far more open league than people who don't watch it think, as shown by the current table and some of the results this season. Comparing La Liga teams to League One level is ridiculous.

At least in the Prem you can have 4/5 teams that win it, and errrr,,,,Leicester.
    Think we need to consider our own experience. What did O'Loughlin say in 2017? He was extremely surprised (though hee shouldn't have been) at the quality of football in the UK 3rd tier. One of the reasons for our slide under Duchatelet, particularly in 2015-16 is that he (and his back room people like Driesen) consistently under estimated how competitive UK football is compared to European football.

In saying La Liga has at its lower level teams that wouldn't be out of place in our League One the comparison being made it with organized, capable sides like Portsmouth and a few others. Not with whoever is 24th in League One.

And if you start going down the Spanish League system, their 2nd and 3rd tiers contain a fair number of teams that would be National/Conference outfits here.
  • Alcorcon are going nowhere, they'll soon tail off as all RD teams do once squad depth is tested.
  • Won again tonight and are top of the league, though with Granada and Malaga playing tomorrow. Whether they stay top at the end of the weekend or not they are certainly having a very impressive season.
  • Won tonight again and are top after 14 games, impressively ahead of Malaga and Deportivo La Coruña - both have been in the Champions League in recent years.

Will be a huge achievement if they can go up, though there is a long way still to go in the season.
  • Lowest attendance figures in the league as well - only 2191 there today. Not really sure how they are doing so well, especially as RD seems to have invested so little in the team. I need to have a look at what the fans are saying on their message board.
  • The Spanish football podcast where there today, be intresting what they have to say when it comes out.

When you say invested very little, do you mean their transfers/wage bill are in line with their income ie not a sugar daddy. Or less then would be seen as normal?
  • Mainly that they haven't actually spent any money on signings, and have possibly the lowest wage bill in the second league.

https://www.transfermarkt.es/ad-alcorcon/transfers/verein/11596

There were some improvements to the stadium but really it seems RD hasn't put much money into the club at all.
  • @CharltonMadrid

Is their ground up to La Liga standard? Seem to recall that Eibar were nearly barred from promotion because of their ground a couple of years back.
  • The capacity is 6000 although they normally only get a third of that. Huesca's is very small though as well so I don't think Alcorcon's ground would see them be barred from promotion. It's not been mentioned in any of the articles I have read about them and their push for promotion.
  • Sponsored links:

A complete myth.

The number of premier league sides winning the title in the past 20 years is exactly the same as the number of different La Liga winners.

A complete myth.

The number of premier league sides winning the title in the past 20 years is exactly the same as the number of different La Liga winners.
    What are the numbers though , how is it shared around

If barca have won it 9 times Madrid 8 times atletico 1 seville 1 villareal 1
    That’s worse than Man Utd 9 Arsenal 3 chelsea 4 Man City 4 leicester 1

I’ve completely just made up numbers there but just making the point that if it’s spread out amongst the few winners more is better than the domination of just a couple of teams
  • edited November 2018
    A wider variety of Spanish teams have got into the Champions League in recent years than the generally predictable top four or five from England. In recent years these have got into the top four in La Liga:

Barcelona
    Real Madrid
    Atletico Madrid
    Valencia
    Sevilla
    Villarreal
    Real Sociedad
    Athletic Bilbao
    Malaga

Then going back a few more years, Deportivo La Coruña and Celta Vigo.

Surely this is a good measure of how competitive La Liga is.

A complete myth.

I’ve completely just made up numbers there but just making the point that if it’s spread out amongst the few winners more is better than the domination of just a couple of teams
    Since the turn of the century:

Barca 9 Real Madrid 6 Valencia 2 Atletico 1 Deportivo 1

Man U 8 Chelsea 5 City 3 Arsenal 2 Leicester 1

Naturally Barca and Real dominate in Spain but then again Man U probably would've won about 5 more were it not for the takeovers at Chelsea and City. This is why i hate it when people moan about those clubs only being successful because of the oil money. Who cares? It's helped make our league competitive.
  • See I've always said Rowland knows how to run a football club
    Just wanted to shaft us

A complete myth.

Naturally Barca and Real dominate in Spain but then again Man U probably would've won about 5 more were it not for the takeovers at Chelsea and City. This is why i hate it when people moan about those clubs only being successful because of the oil money. Who cares? It's helped make our league competitive.
    If you take the winners from last 10 years..

La liga, Barca 7,RM 2 AM 1
    Prem, MU 3,Che 3,MC 3,Lei 1

A wider split methinks.

A complete myth.

A wider split methinks.
    Would be interested in the lowest position the Spanish clubs have finished in the last ten years compared to the English ones. I know Athletico were relegated at the turn of the century but it's not common.

A complete myth.

A wider split methinks.
    True but as i said in an earlier post that's only because of the money invested at Chelsea and City. If 2 guys pumped a billion pounds into Sevilla and Villarreal 10-15 years ago then i'm sure they'd have won a couple of titles.