Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A career in banking

Baldy JNR has expressed an interest in a career in banking.
Where to start?
I know we have some (real) bankers and financial whizzes here so any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Don’t go into banking IT unless he is either Indian or wants to live in India.
  • My mums firm worked on the LME, but its a similar sort of world to banking I believe. Tbey had blokes there who had literally walked in off the street looking for work and ended up as senior traders. I think people like someone who shows initiative, so maybe a new suit and tie, some addresses and a travel card could be a good route to go down?
  • .....or do people just email these days?
  • I work for Barclays investment bank. I’m not sure if it’s the same everywhere but they only seem to take first timers on as part of Uni grad schemes.
  • Can you be more specific about what type of role?
  • Actual banking or investments too? I know a good investment platform in the City which will give him a really good entry into the industry, regularly takes on new staff. I worked there and my missus and a few pals still do.
  • Baldy JNR has expressed an interest in a career in banking.
    Where to start?
    I know we have some (real) bankers and financial whizzes here so any help would be appreciated.

ask @Norman_Smith
  • Couple of colleagues have gone to work for Monzo and Starling, that’s the interesting area of banking
  • If he is not a grad just apply to the main high street banks, do a year in a branch or non trading department then apply internally for roles in the financial markets areas.

One with lots of money, beer, girls and a fast car by the age of 20 please.
  • Sponsored links:

• Banking means a lot these days, in a branch? In a credit card? end of phone? Investment bank-likely to need to be through a grad course; corporate banking? Private banking? Tech? Marketing? FM? CSR? PR... the list is endless.

What does your son mean when he says ‘banking’
  • Banking means a lot these days, in a branch? In a credit card? end of phone? Investment bank-likely to need to be through a grad course; corporate banking? Private banking? Tech? Marketing? FM? CSR? PR... the list is endless.

What does your son mean when he says ‘banking’

See above.
    He's only 15 at the mo and maths is his thing. I would say investment banking.
  • A lot of the banks do apprenterships now. We normally have 2/3 apprentices a year. That’s commercial banking.
  • I would encourage him to apply for work experience, then an internship. Many that end up on grad schemes of banks have done this.
  • The planet is in crisis and the world full of injustice and cruelty so pursue a career making very rich people even richer. Good luck son.

You are absolutely right. Why should any 15 year old have an aspiration to do a job that they think they might like when their first thought at that age should be ridding the world of injustice and cruelty.

In fact, you've got me thinking, I'm going to resign my job on Monday because, although it's not in banking, my company has shareholders and it's my job to deliver value to them. Bastards.

Actually, bollocks to that - I quite like my job, and making them money makes me money.

Baldybonce, I fully support your focus on money, beer, girls and fast cars. You can't have enough of any of them...
  • Good to see idealism is alive and well.
  • Ideally money, beer, girls and fast cars (I've had loads of beer, a bit of money, fewer girls than I would have liked, and no fast cars).

Its not an either / or - you can have money and oppose injustice and cruelty you know.
  • Do not let him go into High Street retail banking, it's finished. It's being totally automated and all they want staff to do is sell home insurance, loans and mobile banking. Apply to all the foreign banks in the City, there are loads.
  • Just say no.
  • Sponsored links:

• I would advise your lad not to go to quickly down one specific career path at the moment and a lot would depend on his academic expectations..at this stage I would advise him to take relevant a level subjects..study more about banking, think seriously about why it appeals and look for internships/work experience especially over the summer...the number of banks and associated institutions in London are manifold, their names won t jump off the page at him but the experience they provide would be invaluable..the whole project of researching these names/going to websites etc will be a learning experience in itself and also help him understand what banks do ...

• Have a look on here for potential qualifications - you will see there are many different areas of banking.

https://libf.ac.uk
  • Good to see idealism is alive and well.

Personally I think drill rapper is the way to go but what do us old'uns know.
  • edited October 2018
    Finance is bullshit. Tell him to do accountancy. That requires a brain rather than spinning a roulette wheel. Loads of great apprenticeships for it and a great way to become a CEO in the longer term.

One with lots of money, beer, girls and a fast car by the age of 20 please.
    That will be the bank robbing dept he wants them. He will need to acquire some specific skills if he wants to apply for that. we don’t take just anybody on these days. And forget this IT nonsense everybody raves about, that’s for nonces and they won’t get you any respect when you’re doing a bit of bird and trying to avoid being somebody’s new girlfriend. What’s his driving like and how handy is he with a sawn off ?
  • Most banks will take kids from A levels as apprentices. Those with a degree are obviously Graduates. My experience is that despite the fact that apprentices join at 18 and grads at 21, the Grads do seem to get ahead quicker.
  • Huskaris said:

Finance is bullshit. Tell him to do accountancy. That requires a brain rather than spinning a roulette wheel. Loads of great apprenticeships for it and a great way to become a CEO in the longer term.

Seriously good suggestion this. Mate of mine did accountancy degree, worked for one of the big accountancy firms and is now head if finance at a major cosmetics company, and minted. Also, the company actually makes stuff, whereas banks just gamble with other people's stuff
  • I started in banking, just retail. The one thing it was good at was training and teaching you attention to detail. That’s stuck with me ever since.

If he’s a math person, actuary is a place to go. There’s money to be made playing the numbers.

But data science, information analysis