Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sinead O'Connor has become a muslim

Sinead O'Connor has revealed she's changed her name after turning her back on Catholicism and converting to Islam.

The Irish singer, who was once ordained a priest by the Irish Orthodox and Apostolic Church, made the announcement on Twitter telling fans she was proud to have become a muslim.

Sinead, 51, will now be known as Shuhada' Davitt - with shuhada meaning 'martyrs' or 'witnesses' in Arabic.

In a post to fans she wrote: "This is to announce that I am proud to have become a Muslim. This is the natural conclusion of any intelligent theologian’s journey. All scripture study leads to Islam. Which makes all other scriptures redundant. I will be given (another) new name. It will be Shuhada."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/celebrity/sinead-oconnor-changes-her-name-after-converting-to-islam/ar-BBOTZhG?li=BBoPWjQ

Comments

• Seems like the sort of thing she'd do
  • Hasn't she tried to overdose in her younger years, is a lesbian and I think she suffered abuse as well?? She had also suffered from depression??
  • Trying to make yourself relevant again is hard I suppose
  • Intelligent, Muslim, Catholic. There's an oxymoron in there somewhere. Spot the odd one out.
  • I hope for her sake that she doesn’t rip up a picture of Mohammed on live TV the next time she craves a bit of attention.
  • One day she might pick the right one -
    Mormonism, as clarified on south park years ago.
  • attention seeking imo, although quite a few celebs have converted, she will be bored again in a few years.
  • Prefer Yusef Islam's music

Treacherous bastard who left a lot of people in the lurch when he unexpectedly gave up his career at a moments notice.
  • Sponsored links:

Treacherous bastard who left a lot of people in the lurch when he unexpectedly gave up his career at a moments notice.
    His career to give up though

Didn't he stop making great music after he converted?
    Just saying :wink:

Pretty much stopped making music for many years I believe but will play the old songs now.
  • edited October 2018
    Hopefully it will stop her singing that bloody song, one of my two most hated pieces of music, alongside "Send in the Clowns".
  • Stupid little cow.
  • Halix said:

Hopefully it will stop her singing that bloody song, one of my two most hated pieces of music, alongside "

She should have won a great acting in a video award for that.
    I agree the song is meh, but I am sure we are in the minority.
    Its a different discussion but I just don't get Prince.
    Red corvette, Raspberry beret, Purple rain- come on, they are beyond ordinary
  • Halix said:

Hopefully it will stop her singing that bloody song, one of my two most hated pieces of music, alongside "

Maybe.......but Sign ‘o the times is a proper belter.
  • Halix said:

Maybe.......but Sign ‘o the times is a proper belter.
    Much preferred Bryan Ferry's version. Or was it the Belle Stars? :wink:
  • Had her down as a convert to Budhism meself.

But then maybe she couldn't live that life while killing innocent fleas on her cat that in turn kills innocent wildlife for no reason, so went down the Islam route. I can see the logic

And streaking
  • Sponsored links:

• DA9 said:

Prefer Yusef Islam's music

And streaking
    Very good @DA9 : - )
  • I lost track during her Rasta years.
  • Good singing voice.
    Looks like she has always had an interest in things religious, for good or ill.
    Her announcement suggests that conversion is the latest stage on her religious journey.
    I get a sense that Sinead has found her life rather troubling and mysterious, and has constantly tried to make sense of it the best way she can.
  • Can't really see why anyone would be bothered. Someone you don't know converts to a religion! Hold the front page!!!
  • Attention seeking muppet (no, not me...her)
  • seth plum said:

Good singing voice.
    Looks like she has always had an interest in things religious, for good or ill.
    Her announcement suggests that conversion is the latest stage on her religious journey.
    I get a sense that Sinead has found her life rather troubling and mysterious, and has constantly tried to make sense of it the best way she can.

Mmmmm.
  • I only found out recently that comic Tom O'Connor is her dad.
  • Grenade O'Connor
  • I hope she finds peace and happiness in her life.
  • No whatever you wish to call yourself, I would have thought the natural conclusion if there is an all powerful god is that is he would organise things rather better; o that there weren't so many branches who theoretically share the same god but who spend so much time disputing what he says and fighting each other.