Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Southampton Student Union

edited October 2018 in Not Sports Related
https://twitter.com/SotonPres/status/1055118853167026176

Southampton Student Union President has threatened to deface a mural on the campus. The mural depicts students who died in WW1 being presented with the degrees that they were never able to finish.

Just when you thought you couldn't hate Uni students any more...

Comments

• Well, this thread will be constructive
  • edited October 2018
    Croydon said:

Southampton Student Union President has threatened to deface a mural on the campus. The mural depicts students who died in WW1 being presented with the degrees that they were never able to finish.

I mean that's just a bit weird.

*both hating uni students, and wanting to paint over what honestly sounds like quiet an inoffensive war mural.
  • iaitch said:

Has his action been applauded by the other students or aren't they allowed to clap because it scares others.

Her action
  • Because I feel like biting a little bit... What I dont understand is the fact that surely these people whether they're from the Southampton / Cambridge Student Union had relatives who either fought or died in either WW1 or WW2

I know it shouldnt instantly make you a sympathiser to the Wars and if you have have issues with the whole Poppy of Rememberance etc. then fair enough - Yet for me I know I have family who both died and came back from both Wars and if I were to come out with that sort of comment then I would feel a measure if disrespect towards my ancestors

Unless of course these kids are failing to see the wider picture and arent aware of family who took part in the conflicts
  • Sponsored links:

• She's hardly an advert for the University. She's got plenty of attention and people now know what a twat she is.
  • My conclusion:
    Some students are twats
    AND
    Some students are not twats

Or even that some twats are students.

Mind you, I'm not sure that everyone posting on Twitter in response is immune to, apparently, life membership of the Twatterati.
  • Croydon said:

@Croydon Why do you hate Uni students? How irrational is that. Especially as you are saying you hated them before this incident.

For the record my son is a uni Student. He wears a poppy, he's not part of his student union at UEA and he's aiming to do an internship with the commonwealth war graves commission in the summer (if he can get a place, that is). As part of his history course he's doing a project on underage soldiers in WW1. Do you hate him too?

As usual one idiot is taken to represent a whole group and the whole group blamed. Might as well blame all women.

For the record she is an idiot, grandstanding for attention and she is getting all the attention she wanted for her stupid, badly thought out "plan".
    couldn't agree more
  • Croydon said:

@Croydon Why do you hate Uni students? How irrational is that. Especially as you are saying you hated them before this incident.

For the record my son is a uni Student. He wears a poppy, he's not part of his student union at UEA and he's aiming to do an internship with the commonwealth war graves commission in the summer (if he can get a place, that is). As part of his history course he's doing a project on underage soldiers in WW1. Do you hate him too?

As usual one idiot is taken to represent a whole group and the whole group blamed. Might as well blame all women.

For the record she is an idiot, grandstanding for attention and she is getting all the attention she wanted for her stupid, badly thought out "plan".
    Nothing more than a throwaway comment, was meant to more facetious than anything. Hope your son gets his place on the internship.
  • All students are w@nkers.

Yeah, tell me about it, especially when it is incredibly easy to walk into a job, especially where you can sufficiently support yourself, when you leave school/college these days.

• That Twitter user is batshit crazy. Got quite a few laughs out of her tweets and some of the replies. I’ve decided to follow her.

Enjoying Southampton Universities social media squirming too.

Thanks for sharing and for the laughs.
  • Croydon said:

iaitch said:

Has his action been applauded by the other students or aren't they allowed to clap because it scares others.

Her action
    Croydon said:

iaitch said:

Her action
    The police will be knocking on my door as I called her a him, crime of the century, save the Beckenham One.
  • When I did my undergraduate degree 30 years ago, the majority of students ignored the Student Union politics, which were unrepresentative of the wider student voice. I expect (and hope) that the same is true now.

Certainly true 20 years ago. Someone getting into student politics was a open invitation for you to despise them
  • Sponsored links:

• What about on the way back in tomorrow n'all?
  • In the past you could talk shit and behave like an arse with your mates and it was soon forgotten about.

These days you have a permanent record of your stupidity.

Privileged white woman complaining about white privilege - priceless.
  • When I did my undergraduate degree 30 years ago, the majority of students ignored the Student Union politics, which were unrepresentative of the wider student voice. I expect (and hope) that the same is true now.

It is very much the case. At my uni everyone ignored it as it's complete bollocks.

The people that go for these things are just the usual freaks that think they are so popular and want to carry on the uni experience (but can't get on to do a masters).

There was only one person in my 4 years at the uni who I thought might make a difference. He exposed how much the senior admin staff at the uni were paid. But then they stopped him from running.

It's all a load of old shit.
  • In the past you could talk shit and behave like an arse with your mates and it was soon forgotten about.

what has her colour got to do with it.
  • I went to Essex University

In the past you could talk shit and behave like an arse with your mates and it was soon forgotten about.

what has her colour got to do with it.
    Just going by what she said - she's a privileged white person complaining about privileged white people.
  • Her statement in response to the criticism.
  • Croydon said:

Her statement in response to the criticism.

I hope she wrote this herself.