Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tuesday nights at The Valley - what's going wrong?

This is our home record in Tuesday league matches in the last 4 seasons:

P16 W3 D7 L6

The trail of woe:

2018/19: Peterborough 0-1, Oxford 1-1
2017/18: Wigan 0-3, Rochdale 2-1, Peterborough 2-2, Bradford 1-1
2016/17: Shrewsbury 3-0, Oldham 1-1, Oxford 0-1, Scunthorpe 2-1, Bradford 1-1, MK Dons 0-2
2015/16: Huddersfield 1-2, Preston 0-3, Bolton 2-2, MK Dons 0-0

Why are we consistently so poor in these midweek home games - often against mediocre opposition?

It's really getting to me now.

Comments

• The atmosphere is worse, a lot of people who have season tickets don't bother turning up making the RD experience even more miserable than it is on a Saturday
  • I used to love going to midweek home games. Much better atmosphere, and playing under lights.

However, as above, if the atmosphere has gone then I can see that having an effect on the team.
  • edited October 2018
    Last night felt like watching a reserve match, completely different to Saturdays game, i said to my son we rarely win at home on a Saturday and follow it up with another home win on a Tueday, makes it more important we get a win at Rochdale and stay in touch with the pack.

To be fair we'd have probably taken a draw v Barnsley and a win v Oxford, so in the end , whilst frustrating, it's no more or less than what i expected to be honest.
  • Last night was my second game of the season after the Saturday home game against Plymouth last month. Despite the efforts of the Covered End, it was depressing regardless of the team's poor performance. Something has to change.
  • Actually thought the atmosphere was better last night than on Saturday. Less of us there, but fewer day trippers on the student/kids promotions.
  • Interesting stats. I'm not sure the atmosphere can be blamed, there was still some noise last night, but the team played a lot worse than on Saturday from the start.
  • I actually felt we played okay against Pboro despite the result.
  • Thought the atmosphere was better last night than recent Tuesdays but no where near as good as Saturday but that could be down to the flat performance on the pitch. Could be they were feeling the effects of Saturday as Crispy said.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought the atmosphere was better last night than recent Tuesdays but no where near as good as Saturday but that could be down to the flat performance on the pitch. Could be they were feeling the effects of Saturday as Crispy said.

There was a decent atmosphere against Pboro but we lost.
  • Crispy said:

My feeling over the last couple of years is that due to having a small squad, we tend to put everything into a game on the Saturday and the same team don't have the intensity/energy on the Tuesday. If we do make changes for the Tuesday then because it's a small squad, we aren't able to bring in the same quality and the performance suffers from it. Look at Powell's squad in 11/12 - yes it had the majority of the same eleven each game but we were able to change it up on a Tuesday night and have enough quality to win even if we didn't play as well we did the Saturday before

Certainly we played a stronger starting 11 on Saturday than last night. Bielik and Ward were rested due to physical issues which weakened us

Did Powell change things much on Tuesday nights? I thought we kept a pretty settled team
  • Good job we don't have another home Tuesday game until next year! We used to be okay on Tuesday's as said above, there used to be bigger crowds and atmosphere.
  • Good job we don't have another home Tuesday game until next year! We used to be okay on Tuesday's as said above, there used to be bigger crowds and atmosphere.

I feel the atmosphere has been okay at both Tuesday games this season.

1.League 1 crowd in Championship size stadium, which feel depressing.
    2.Champions League night clash on many occasions.
    3.An erratic team who are very hit and miss over last 4 years.
    4.Roland Duchatelet.
    5.Fewer football tourists in mid week.
    6.Many Cafc fans now live more than 40 miles away.
    7. Lots of Charlton fans are old and can't get off their sofas in the evening.
    8.AA meetings tend to be on Tuesday nights.
    9.boycotters.
    10.tired from the long drive home from work.
    11. Tired from being stuck on overcrowded hot train that turns up with 4 carriages and you get stuck against BO person.
    12.spent £50 on night out with lads Friday, plus £50 on ticket,food,and drink Saturday. and after losing £25 when your accumulator went down with added time goal you can't find the dosh.
    13. Evenings are colder from middle of October to April.
    14.met a cracker on Friday night and a Tuesday tryst is favourite, with the game as an excuse with the wife/husband/Partner.

Perm any one from 14.

You've really thought about this, haven't you?!

14 good reasons for lower crowds/poorer atmosphere, but this sort of assumes that the team can't reasonably be expected to display anything better than relegation form if the home attendance is, say, 6,000 rather than 9,000.
  • cold, shattered after work, cant have as much of a drink as work night, stadium already empty even more so on a tuesday night, v little away following makes it a non event.
  • currently only have 2 more scheduled

swansea u21s checkatrade

and

burton albion 7.45pm 12th march.

of course this is without rearranged games due to international call ups/postponements for bad weather etc.
  • edited October 2018

currently only have 2 more scheduled

swansea u21s checkatrade

and

burton albion 7.45pm 12th march.

of course this is without rearranged games due to international call ups/postponements for bad weather etc.

Portsmouth and Wycombe Wanderers are the only two games that fall on an International Break between now and the end season and they're both away games
  • I don't think there's anything in it tbh. You can read some pattern into those Tuesday night stats but correlation is not the same as causality.
  • Sponsored links:

• Only the Checkatrade, but we won 8-0 in front of 3 men and a dog, the lack of atmosphere didn't affect that performamce
  • are the players fit enough to play twice in 4 days ? .. we have consistent issues with player injuries .. is this a symptom of poor/undercooked training and player welfare which also affects player performance .. also, of course as mentioned above, a quarter filled stadium, little atmosphere .. but really they should affect the 'spectator experience', not player performance
  • are the players fit enough to play twice in 4 days ? .. we have consistent issues with player injuries .. is this a symptom of poor/undercooked training and player welfare which also affects player performance .. also, of course as mentioned above, a quarter filled stadium, little atmosphere .. but really they should affect the 'spectator experience', not player performance

Less supporters on a Tuesday but atmosphere is usually okay. Don't see a massive difference from Saturday.
  • Why can't Ward play more than 60 or 70 minutes per game ?
    Is it his general fitness or is he carrying an injury.?
    I would like to know.
  • edited October 2018

are the players fit enough to play twice in 4 days ? .. we have consistent issues with player injuries .. is this a symptom of poor/undercooked training and player welfare which also affects player performance .. also, of course as mentioned above, a quarter filled stadium, little atmosphere .. but really they should affect the 'spectator experience', not player performance

Less supporters on a Tuesday but atmosphere is usually okay. Don't see a massive difference from Saturday.
    I never get to a Tuesday game @ the Valley and try to make the midweek away games in the north or midlands .. as you say, for all the hassles and moans, the atmosphere for Saturday games at the Valley (not that I attend many) is pretty good .. the ever decreasing attendance is a worry though
  • edited October 2018

Why can't Ward play more than 60 or 70 minutes per game ?
    Is it his general fitness or is he carrying an injury.?
    I would like to know.

from what I can recall and this only from watching televised games .. whenever Ward's current team (he's had a few) was featured, almost invariably his appearance was as a second half sub .. presumably he's got both fitness and (more likely) stamina issues, the latter as a consequence of lack of game time ? .. at his age, peak fitness has probably been and gone
  • Crispy said:

My feeling over the last couple of years is that due to having a small squad, we tend to put everything into a game on the Saturday and the same team don't have the intensity/energy on the Tuesday. If we do make changes for the Tuesday then because it's a small squad, we aren't able to bring in the same quality and the performance suffers from it. Look at Powell's squad in 11/12 - yes it had the majority of the same eleven each game but we were able to change it up on a Tuesday night and have enough quality to win even if we didn't play as well we did the Saturday before

Certainly we played a stronger starting 11 on Saturday than last night. Bielik and Ward were rested due to physical issues which weakened us

Did Powell change things much on Tuesday nights? I thought we kept a pretty settled team
    Definitely changed a bit in the second half of the season but Powell used loan window wisely and boosted squad with players like Cook and N'Guessan who did a job in getting us over the line
  • Crispy said:

Crispy said:

Definitely changed a bit in the second half of the season but Powell used loan window wisely and boosted squad with players like Cook and N'Guessan who did a job in getting us over the line
    Also Leon Cort played quite a few games as back up to Morrison and Taylor.
  • Crispy said:

Crispy said:

The core of the team would have stayed the same though. Hamer, Solly, Wiggins, Morrison, Jackson, Hollands, BWP, Yann, Dale, Taylor etc all played a lot of games that season, it's not as if on Tuesdays we rotated a lot, especially in October when you'd expect the players to still be quite fresh.
  • Crispy said:

Crispy said:

The core of the team would have stayed the same though. Hamer, Solly, Wiggins, Morrison, Jackson, Hollands, BWP, Yann, Dale, Taylor etc all played a lot of games that season, it's not as if on Tuesdays we rotated a lot, especially in October when you'd expect the players to still be quite fresh.
    Agreed. But I'd also say that the core of that team is far superior to the core of our current team, hence why that side lost 5 all season and we've already lost 4 this year.