Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    Went to Canterbury the other day....plenty of good pubs there.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Spoons. Like 'em or loathe 'em? It's usually one or the other. I'm not a fan, though I do appreciate the prices.

All 15 SE London Spoons ranked: https://deserter.co.uk/2018/10/all-se-londons-wetherspoons-ranked/

11/15 - still 4 to tick off.
  • Options
    been to 8 of those spoons. none of them I rate much. the again haven't been to the top 3. the bankers draft is probably the best one that I've been to out of that list.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Spoons. Like 'em or loathe 'em? It's usually one or the other. I'm not a fan, though I do appreciate the prices.

All 15 SE London Spoons ranked: https://deserter.co.uk/2018/10/all-se-londons-wetherspoons-ranked/

I'm going to take up knitting! That picture of the Penge Spoons with a lone older woman with a bottle of Magners, knitting. She's my new idol!
  • Options
    South London’s a sh*thole, I wanna go home, so thankfully only been in 2 of those 15.

People knock Wetherspoons but at least they strive to give value for money. Was in the Flyboat Boat Dartford Saturday night and round of 5 pints (3 Guinness, 2 lagers) was £14.49. Tremendous value
  • Options

South London’s a sh*thole, I wanna go home, so thankfully only been in 2 of those 15.

People knock Wetherspoons but at least they strive to give value for money. Was in the Flyboat Boat Dartford Saturday night and round of 5 pints (3 Guinness, 2 lagers) was £14.49. Tremendous value

Echo this.
    In the Wetherspoons in Luton the other week three pins of San Miguel and we got change of a tenner.
    Even when we ordered two pints of San Miguel and a large vodka and orange we still got change of a tenner.
    If pubs are to survive this is the way to go.
  • Options
    I love a Wetherspoons, quite often in the pommelers and agree with the review. Though i've never see 4 behind the bar.

Stunned by the review of the Bankers Draft, I've never been in (nor wanted to) even as an Eltham native - maybe that'll teach me not to judge a book by it's cover, but i remain sceptical.
  • Options
    Was in the Sovereign of the Seas in Petts Wood a couple of months ago.

Pint of Budweiser and a pint of Shipyards was £4.48.
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Echo this.
    In the Wetherspoons in Luton the other week three pins of San Miguel and we got change of a tenner.
    Even when we ordered two pints of San Miguel and a large vodka and orange we still got change of a tenner.
    The only reason a pub like spoons survives on those prices is the sheer size of the operation. They're able to secure better deals, order in bulk and cut corners by paying staff as little as is legal.

The only way pubs will survive is if people suck it up, pay the extra £1 and support their locals.
    Amazes me that people will moan about paying £4 for a pint of decent ale but then Bermondsey's full of weirdos with shit facial hair paying over a 5er for some shite floral craft beer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Croydon said:

EastStand said:

Echo this.
    The only reason a pub like spoons survives on those prices is the sheer size of the operation. They're able to secure better deals, order in bulk and cut corners by paying staff as little as is legal.

The only way pubs will survive is if people suck it up, pay the extra £1 and support their locals.
    Amazes me that people will moan about paying £4 for a pint of decent ale but then Bermondsey's full of weirdos with shit facial hair paying over a 5er for some shite floral craft beer.
    And that's just at the New Den.
  • Options

Echo this.
    Last time I went spoons 3 pints was £17
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Echo this.
    Last time I went spoons 3 pints was £17
    Wimbledon away 2 years ago.
    Got to love elfsborg
  • Options
    Breakfast of champions in the 'Spoons.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Was in the Sovereign of the Seas in Petts Wood a couple of months ago.

Pint of Budweiser and a pint of Shipyards was £4.48.

I was in the Old Brewey in Greenwich on Saturday. A pint of Camden Hells and a double gin, £17
  • Options
    Occasionally venture into the John hawkshaw at cannon st and the crosse keys. Any boozer that serves up decent piss gets the thumbs up in my book.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

I hate this thread, it's like my culture is being abused.

Unfortunately a lot of pubs did themselves no favours. I particularly miss wading through piss, microwaved pies and the good chance of getting glassed at 11 o clock.
    The ship wasnt that bad but the Lobster pot had its moments

only for 3 years though

• Options
    Starting to worry about The Star now @Curb_It.

While I quite like Dirty Liquor's pub in Deptford, I didn't realise they had torn down all the original Truman wood panelling there to give it the bare brick look. Given the similar interior at The Star I'm concerned they are going to do the same thing.
  • Options
    I bloody hope not.All the old Beasley pubs have this lovely panelling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes, it would be tragic to lose it. Should be listed imo.
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Vincenzo said:

11/15 - still 4 to tick off.
    Went in the Spoons in Dublin last week (Blanchardstown) 2.60 for a pint of Adnam's Ghost Ship.....about half the price of other beers in the area.
  • Options
    Egg on toast in a roadside transport cafe will be a lot cheaper than at the Ritz. You are not just paying for the beer. Whilst I agree that some pubs do charge far too much (eg pint of Youngs Mix £5.20 in the Bull Chislehurst) pricing is also linked to what else the pub has to offer, it's rent and other overheads. Wetherspoons have a business model that works for them and their presence in the market is most welcome to other publicans.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Yes, it would be tragic to lose it. Should be listed imo.
    That would be a shame. Surely they would hopefully know not to...

I cant find out much about Dirty Liquor. They arent on the Enterprise website as far as i can see but they are on companies house and registered address is the Enterprise address.

https://www.eigroupplc.com/en/site-services/site-map.html
  • Options

Was in the Wetherspoon pub at Torquay harbour three or four years ago (Now a Yates) my brother in law went for a piss upstairs about a mile away. Left his cigarettes on the table with me. Sitting there alone when a girl (30 ish. Probable would ya) sits down and says “can I nick a fag” ? “Not mine I say but he’ll be back in a minute”. “Go on” she said. “He won’t mind. I’ll show you my tits” at which point she opened her coat and got out her breasts. I opened the packet and gave her one (ooh er). Brother in law comes back and sits down looking puzzled at which point I explain the situation. Girl pipes up and says “if you give me the packet I’ll show you my fanny” he is bewildered by now. We smiled. Declined and my bro in law gave her a couple of cigs. She moved off
    True story.

Is the boozer still there?
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Was in the Wetherspoon pub at Torquay harbour three or four years ago (Now a Yates) my brother in law went for a piss upstairs about a mile away. Left his cigarettes on the table with me. Sitting there alone when a girl (30 ish. Probable would ya) sits down and says “can I nick a fag” ? “Not mine I say but he’ll be back in a minute”. “Go on” she said. “He won’t mind. I’ll show you my tits” at which point she opened her coat and got out her breasts. I opened the packet and gave her one (ooh er). Brother in law comes back and sits down looking puzzled at which point I explain the situation. Girl pipes up and says “if you give me the packet I’ll show you my fanny” he is bewildered by now. We smiled. Declined and my bro in law gave her a couple of cigs. She moved off
    True story.

It’s now a Yates. Right on the Harbour. Pretty soulless when I was last in there which was last Friday. Or did you mean my brother in law ?

• Options

True story.

It’s now a Yates. Right on the Harbour. Pretty soulless when I was last in there which was last Friday. Or did you mean my brother in law ?

I was thinking more of the third member of your little group.
  • Options
    I wonder what she would have offered if you had a lighter.
  • Options

True story.

I was thinking more of the third member of your little group.
    Wouldn’t recognise her and my brother in law has stopped smoking.

• Options
    Good pub crawl yesterday in Lewes, went in 6 pubs all were pretty good but special mention to the Royal Oak which has been superbly done up.