Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    N01R4M said:

razil said:

It’s certainly not a distressed sale as he is so wealthy. He appears to have made a valuation (accurate or not - rather than wanting all his investment back) and is sticking to it, we assume he is losing a considerable whack but not as much as he was with a legacy championship wage bill, reduced admin costs and other cuts.
    Can we also assume at least some of the losses can be offset against profits (and therefore tax) in his other companies?

He has publicly stated getting into football was a mistake but that might be to do with the FFP loosening that removed the Networks competitive edge.

My view is we are still long way off ‘forcing’ a sale, if ever. I also see no evidence that any financial action that we can take has made any difference to him. Evidence does suggest however he is far more affected by bad publicity (much of his own making) and action that portrays him in a bad light since he seems to react by making statements bypassing his own publicity machine.

Charlton under Bowyer are now enjoying a miraculous turn around and a potentially very exciting season. The irony now is that (this is an ideal scenario for encouraging fans back) a well supported team might actually do more to move him on than a boycott as prospective owners see a well supported club and a better number in the books.

I am sure you are right about this - the adverse publicity for Roland resulting from ROT's high profile visit over the August Bank Holiday clearly riled him. Sad as it is for the Charlton employees involved, the bonus business was a gift as far as the Roland Out campaign was concerned as it had direct relevance to his businesses in Belgium. We need ways to maintain that sort f pressure.

Promotion might make the club more sellable IF Roland didn't then raise the price. And I bet the greedy daft bugger would do exactly that.

As I have remarked before, in LDT Roland has once again chosen as his representative and adviser someone who he trusts but who has no knowledge of the English football leagues. Let's hope LDT is a faster learner than Katrien was, and that he has the authority to provide some good advice, and soon. There is clearly something putting off potential purchasers, whether it is the headline price or post sale add-ons.
    LDT has a different role than Katrien though. Katrien was meant to be running the club, as a long term business. LDT is here to help sell it, and just to do the bare minimum on an ongoing basis to keep it running in the meantime.

LDT seems perfectly adequate to do his job, whereas Katrien (being kind) was thrown in at the deep end and out of her depth.
  • Options
    My main worry with the continuous delay is that RD is going to have a fire sale in January. Fosu, Aribo and Grant are all young quality players and therefore they hold significant value - RD would take 500K for each of them if the deal is cash up front. Hope I am wrong but I think our season will fall apart after January solely down the the old git's greed.
  • Options

My main worry with the continuous delay is that RD is going to have a fire sale in January. Fosu, Aribo and Grant are all young quality players and therefore they hold significant value - RD would take 500K for each of them if the deal is cash up front. Hope I am wrong but I think our season will fall apart after January solely down the the old git's greed.

Surely if he did this he would have to reduce the price accordingly? Maybe more as he is selling a "going concern" and selling the best players would (or should) reduce the price by more than a sum of the individual parts?
  • Options
    So if he really wants to cut costs, I assume the contracts offered to the players recently have been for less than they are on now? Which explains why none have signed.
  • Options

N01R4M said:

razil said:

It’s certainly not a distressed sale as he is so wealthy. He appears to have made a valuation (accurate or not - rather than wanting all his investment back) and is sticking to it, we assume he is losing a considerable whack but not as much as he was with a legacy championship wage bill, reduced admin costs and other cuts.
    Can we also assume at least some of the losses can be offset against profits (and therefore tax) in his other companies?

He has publicly stated getting into football was a mistake but that might be to do with the FFP loosening that removed the Networks competitive edge.

My view is we are still long way off ‘forcing’ a sale, if ever. I also see no evidence that any financial action that we can take has made any difference to him. Evidence does suggest however he is far more affected by bad publicity (much of his own making) and action that portrays him in a bad light since he seems to react by making statements bypassing his own publicity machine.

Charlton under Bowyer are now enjoying a miraculous turn around and a potentially very exciting season. The irony now is that (this is an ideal scenario for encouraging fans back) a well supported team might actually do more to move him on than a boycott as prospective owners see a well supported club and a better number in the books.

I am sure you are right about this - the adverse publicity for Roland resulting from ROT's high profile visit over the August Bank Holiday clearly riled him. Sad as it is for the Charlton employees involved, the bonus business was a gift as far as the Roland Out campaign was concerned as it had direct relevance to his businesses in Belgium. We need ways to maintain that sort f pressure.

Promotion might make the club more sellable IF Roland didn't then raise the price. And I bet the greedy daft bugger would do exactly that.

As I have remarked before, in LDT Roland has once again chosen as his representative and adviser someone who he trusts but who has no knowledge of the English football leagues. Let's hope LDT is a faster learner than Katrien was, and that he has the authority to provide some good advice, and soon. There is clearly something putting off potential purchasers, whether it is the headline price or post sale add-ons.
    LDT has a different role than Katrien though. Katrien was meant to be running the club, as a long term business. LDT is here to help sell it, and just to do the bare minimum on an ongoing basis to keep it running in the meantime.

LDT seems perfectly adequate to do his job, whereas Katrien (being kind) was thrown in at the deep end and out of her depth.
    I take your point entirely.

However, mine was that both KM & LDT have been Roland's eyes on the ground, and neither of them arrived fully equipped with the necessary knowledge or experience to truly appreciate what they were seeing in front of them. Then the second issue is whether, having sussed the situation, LDT has sufficient standing in Roland's world to tell him some home truths and to be believed.
  • Options

So if he really wants to cut costs, I assume the contracts offered to the players recently have been for less than they are on now? Which explains why none have signed.

Surely the incremental rise in each of their wages is far outweighed by the potential drop in their value as they enter the last 6 months of their contract.
  • Options

People have been predicting fire sales with no proper for the last few transfer windows.

Those three are all out of contract in the summer. Clubs may just wait until then to get them on frees (or minimal compensation due to their age?).
  • Options
    Is

All this talk about "using his losses elsewhere in his group companies" is a massive red herring.
    He still has to lose the money i.e. for Charlton to spend more than it earns. That money is spent, gone, done, out of his hands, not coming back. It is likely that whichever entity legally owns the shares in CAFC, will be able to set off some trading losses against other group profits in the group's tax calculations. Corporation tax around EU varies from 10% in some of the more eastern recent arrivals to 29% in Belgium and 33% in France. If CAFC loses €10M in 2018, roly's group companies might be able to reduce a future corporation tax liability by €2.9M, at best. He's still over €7M out of pocket, at best. For remaining involved in something that he has no interest in and constantly bugs the hell out of him. That's paying more than half a mil per month just to be called a cunt. Flat out insanity. He'll be better off the minute he ceases his involvement with CAFC, right away, immediately, without delay, instantly, tout de suite, ogenblikkelijk. Unpalatable or not, the truth is he is in no way obligated to check out the credentials of whomsoever pays his price. Just as the spivs sold to the first tard that ponied up the readies, he is free to accept the negotiables from any clown, nonse or lunatic.
    At even a tenth of what the tombstone tooted old twunt is asking, that clown would have to be loony indeed.
    In short roly is a special kind of masochist, with a severe case of megalomania and bad teeth.

Is it timely to say “Roland Out”!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Was thinking this earlier today. Time for The Trust to tell both De Turk & the EFL what RD has done previously & that there are no reasons why ANY players should be leaving in January. Should be like a 2nd charge - both The Trust & the EFL are alerted before any players are sold.
  • Options

Was thinking this earlier today. Time for The Trust to tell both De Turk & the EFL what RD has done previously & that there are no reasons why ANY players should be leaving in January. Should be like a 2nd charge - both The Trust & the EFL are alerted before any players are sold.
    How can the trust and/or the EFL stop RD selling any players?

He owns the club, he'll do what he wants.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

I keep saying this and no one seems to listen. He will try to sell them and NOT lower the price. Just like he did with Konsa. The price was agreed months ago and then he unloaded Konsa. I've never heard once anywhere that the price has gone down because of that. Because it has not. He wants £40M+ and until he gets it he will keep selling off the assets and the price will not get lower. Either that, or he sells players off just to reduce the annual loss. Either way... the price is not going down, folks. No matter who he sells.
  • Options

I keep saying this and no one seems to listen. He will try to sell them and NOT lower the price. Just like he did with Konsa. The price was agreed months ago and then he unloaded Konsa. I've never heard once anywhere that the price has gone down because of that. Because it has not. He wants £40M+ and until he gets it he will keep selling off the assets and the price will not get lower. Either that, or he sells players off just to reduce the annual loss. Either way... the price is not going down, folks. No matter who he sells.
    I thought it had been confirmed that a 'mechanism' was in place to adjust the price after sales/purchases.
  • Options

@razil

I don't think RD can offset losses from CAFC against profits from his main businesses such as Melexis. Nor are his other clubs in Staprix likely to be showing big profits. However, Nigel Kleinfeld , the Trust finance wizard, inspected Staprix accounts and found lurking there a profitable call centre/ direct marketing business which operates from offices in the Stayen stadium in S-T. To that extent, the losses could be utilized. But personally I think it is all about what he walks away with from football compared with what he has put in. We know he is already well up on the Standard business, and presumably doesn't want to spoil that by losing £15m on the sale of Charlton.

I’ve not seen the accounts for his other businesses but if I had to take a wild guess I’d suspect their profitability, assuming they are profitable, could owe itself in some way to Charlton. The funding for Charlton will have to come from somewhere, we’re told it’s not bank loans so it must come from his business empire. That funding, in the form of a loan ?, will probably come with an interest rate (do the charlton accounts show loans and interest costs ?) which could be higher than the lending business borrows at - ie it makes a profit on the loans. And as long as the company it lends to (ie Charlton) is good for the debt then everything looks ‘ticketyboo’ and can keep going on for a while longer.
  • Options
    Bold statement in the SLP in their article on Jackson talking about Tarbuck's return.

"Robinson was feeling the heat with Charlton as they slid further out of play-off contention – and felt he would be pushed out the door when a takeover happened. But as it has turned out, the Australian consortium’s build to buy it off Roland Duchatelet has fallen apart – if it was ever truly a credible proposition."
  • Options

But Charlton isn't good for the debt, he's losing money hand over fist, maybe loans and taxation can lower those loses, but the losses exist and he's never getting the money back.

Up to an extent, it is good for the debt. The club has tangible and intangible assets that will always find a buyer. And there is huge untapped potential

And it’s probably that debt which sets the asking price. As long as there are potential buyers at the asking price then the debt is good and the lender doesn’t have to make provisions or write any of the debt off. The bad news is that asking price will have to keep increasing with the debt. The good news is promotion this year underpins it. And promotion to the PL makes the debt insignificant.
  • Options

Bold statement in the SLP in their article on Jackson talking about Tarbuck's return.

"Robinson was feeling the heat with Charlton as they slid further out of play-off contention – and felt he would be pushed out the door when a takeover happened. But as it has turned out, the Australian consortium’s build to buy it off Roland Duchatelet has fallen apart – if it was ever truly a credible proposition."

Indeed. It's what we are all thinking. But Cawley seems comfortable in stating it almost as a matter of fact despite LdT continuing to say the Aussies are still in the frame.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

People have been predicting fire sales with no proper for the last few transfer windows.
    Yet he always sells every window so why will this one be no different? - Aribo and Grant at present are the two that will be having scouts down here more than anyone

Summer 2018 - Ezri Konsa | Josh Magennis | Harry Lennon
    January 2018 - Ricky Holmes
    Summer 2017 - Jorge Teixeira | Cristian Ceballos | Tony Watt | Lee Novak
    January 2017 - Morgan Fox | Ademola Lookman
    Summer 2016 - Jordan Cousins | Johann Gudmundsson | Nick Pope | Callum Harriott | Tarieq Holmes-Dennis
    January 2016 - No one
    Summer 2015 - Joe Gomez | Rhoys Wiggins
    January 2015 - Michael Morrison
    Summer 2014 - Diego Poyet
    January 2014 - Ben Alnwick | Yann Kermorgant | Dale Stephens

So other than 2016 when we were in danger of relegation from the Championship there hasnt been a window when we've not seen a player departing...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Scoham said:

Yet he always sells every window so why will this one be no different? - Aribo and Grant at present are the two that will be having scouts down here more than anyone

Summer 2016 - Jordan Cousins | Johann Gudmundsson | Nick Pope | Callum Harriott | Tarieq Holmes-Dennis
    January 2016 - No one

So other than 2016 when we were in danger of relegation from the Championship there hasnt been a window when we've not seen a player departing...
    Now compare that to the incoming players in each window. Or take out the ones that weren't 1st choice players.............

Selling your 4th choice center back does not make a fire sale!
  • Options

He's been chatting to @nth london addick
  • Options

Scoham said:

January 2016 - No one

That's not a bad squad, OK a couple are a bit long in the tooth now or retired but, you'ld get out the Championship (the right way) with that.
    Just saying
  • Options

Indeed. It's what we are all thinking. But Cawley seems comfortable in stating it almost as a matter of fact despite LdT continuing to say the Aussies are still in the frame.
    There is at least one source close to the Aussies saying the same thing.
  • Options

Same thing as Cawley or same thing as LdT?
  • Options

But Charlton isn't good for the debt, he's losing money hand over fist, maybe loans and taxation can lower those loses, but the losses exist and he's never getting the money back.

Up to an extent, it is good for the debt. The club has tangible and intangible assets that will always find a buyer. And there is huge untapped potential

And it’s probably that debt which sets the asking price. As long as there are potential buyers at the asking price then the debt is good and the lender doesn’t have to make provisions or write any of the debt off. The bad news is that asking price will have to keep increasing with the debt. The good news is promotion this year underpins it. And promotion to the PL makes the debt insignificant.
    There are no buyers at the current price though and we currently sit in NINTH in league one, any talk of making it to the Premiership is beyond ridiculous at this stage.

So no, the club is not good for the - increasing - debt.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

De Turck confirmed at one of the fans’ forum meetings that there was a mechanism to adjust the price for player sales, including Konsa.

My guess is that it also takes account of operating losses since agreement was reached, so the price may not actually go down. But it’s pretty irrelevant at this point.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Cafc43v3r said:

Same thing as Cawley or same thing as LdT?
    That the Aussies have fallen apart. This isn’t particularly new, though.
  • Options

Scoham said:

January 2016 - No one

Clubs always sell players in the windows. Madrid sold Ronaldo in the summer...
  • Options

Does that mean he’ll sign up back on here again? Will he have to keep the same username?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!