Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Fortnum's ..Aunt Betty's in Harrogate .. there's a lovely place in the market square at Stow on the Wold but I can't recall the name
  • Steve Evans would have eaten it all.
  • Have been to a few - it's often more about where you are than the tea itself!

The Savoy was pretty amazing - went before the refurb.

The Sanderson was interesting if you like somewhere more modern.

Best value I've had was Browns at Tower Bridge - great location and very cheap.
  • Kouzu... Japanese afternoon tea ... superb
  • Bramah tea museum was great, but looks like it's been shut for years
  • edited October 2018
    Done Fortnums a few times and was very good, as too was Claridges.
  • Fortnums is the best I've had.

Ritz is very good too, and iconic surroundings.
  • edited October 2018
    I really can’t get that excited about a cup of tea. But having read the PG tips box of tea bags one day I’ve since been fascinated by the Brahmaputra where these tea bags are grown. I was lucky enough to cross this important river whilst it wound its way through Lhasa and thought of that box of tea bags. Another tick off my wish list.
  • Soho’s secret tea room is the best I’ve tried.
  • I’ve been to a few as well, used to be a thing my ex mother in law was into. I would recommend The Lanesborough.

Better I thought than Ritz, Savoy (before or after refurb), claridges. At one time Selfridges did an afternoon tea followed by it preceded by a tour of their (then) new shoe area which I recall earned special brownie points 😁
  • Sponsored links:

• I've been treating my old mum to a posh tea for her birthdays. Her favourite has been The Dorchester; the seating is a bit more private and has softer lighting than the others we've been to. Claridges maybe next, then The Savoy, with the Ritz 4th. Outside the big 4, we've been to: Fortnum's which is very good but not quite as classy - you can wear jeans. The Langham across from BBC Broadcasting House is well worth considering - very peaceful and I'd rather go there than The Ritz.
  • Savoy is excellent.

Go most Saturdays now the valley is off the menu.

;-)
  • Just been to 'The Yard Hotel', just off Piccadilly Circus. Not bad at all...and provided vegan sandwiches + non gluten cakes as well.
  • Just been to 'The Yard Hotel', just off Piccadilly Circus. Not bad at all...and provided vegan sandwiches + non gluten cakes as well.

Oh gawd!
  • The Branston Hall Hotel near Lincoln is top drawer, if you’re ever up that way.
  • Eastwell Manor near Ashford is lovely. Nice old Manor House in acres of Kentish countryside.
  • Highly recommended, although not really posh.

http://www.brownsofbexley.co.uk/
  • Certainly not posh, but having been to a fair few generic overpriced hotel ones down the years, this quaint little place in Waterinbury far exceeds anywhere I’ve been and better value too. Taken many people there.

http://www.wherememoriesmeet.com/

Proper, decent sized, full sarnies and rich homemade cakes. Not these pokey thin sandwiches with next to no filling and bloody macaroons.

Nice antique shop downstairs too is worth a gander before or after.
  • 30-odd years ago aged 19 I took a girlfriend to The Cafe Royal for afternoon tea. £16 for some sandwiches & cakes !! Only went there because we'd had Macdonalds for lunch & wanted something more "upmarket". I'm sure now there must have been something inbetween.....
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2018
    Solidgone said:

I really can’t get that excited about a cup of tea. But having read the PG tips box of tea bags one day I’ve since been fascinated by the Brahmaputra where these tea bags are grown. I was lucky enough to cross this important river whilst it wound its way through Lhasa and thought of that box of tea bags. Another tick off my wish list.

Do they look like this?
  • Never done afternoon tea as such but back in the days of more generous expense accounts and more generous booze into cricket ground rules I used to get a couple of picnic baskets from Fortnums in the morning before a day at Lords.

End of day I would say I did not like leaving rubbish, collect up all the posh, branded cups, cutlery etc and that sorted Xmas presents for the wife’s family for a few years!
  • Another vote for Fortnum‘s afternoon tea here.
  • Our favourite is Browns Hotel in Albemarle Street Mayfair. We have also been to The Dorchester and also The Goring though.

• Solidgone said:

Do they look like this?
    @Bangkokaddick
    Ahhh memories
  • edited October 2018
    Sark99 said:

Our favourite is Browns Hotel in Albemarle Street Mayfair. We have also been to The Dorchester and also The Goring though.

Another vote for Brown’s in Mayfair. Traditional afternoon tea.

Sanderson Mad Hatters if you have kids with you or an exceptionally sweet tooth

I enjoyed Sketch for their savoury options.

Also Oscar Wilde room at hotel cafe royal was pleasant.

Been told ritz is a rip off and packed in so always avoided.

Dorchester is lovely but make sure you’re sat deep into room near piano or you feel you’re in hotel foyer.

• edited October 2018
    Sad everyone calls it Fortnum’s.......poor old Mason more often than not he gets his very worthy name left out.
    I had a pal in Australia who had two bulldogs called Fortnum & Mason.
  • Sad everyone calls it Fortnum’s.......poor old Mason more often than not he gets his very worthy name left out.

How interesting...
  • Not making a social comment here but having tried both I’d much rather go to a decent cafe and have a cup of tea and some bread pudding.
  • edited October 2018

Sad everyone calls it Fortnum’s.......poor old Mason more often than not he gets his very worthy name left out.

What? Both of them were called Fortnum and Mason? Very confusing.
    I lost my dog after I spilt spot remover on him one evening.
    PS Weston Super Marr pier does an exquisite cream tea.