Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views: Charlton v Barnsley

Comments

• Options
    Think their goalkeeper should have saved the first goal but I'm not complaining.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

PWR.

Bowyer got it pretty much spot on today. he got things to a place where we played a better team but nevertheless had enough resources to win.

We maximised our strengths, minimised our weaknesses, and the work rate the players put in, exemplified by Cullen who must already have been feeling it after his international excursions, was exceptional. Mind you, Bowyer had to introduce Sarr for Belik and that turned out to be a proper tease.

Barnsley were good up to a point, but we worked so hard in negating their threat that they reached that point generally on the edge of our area, but we massed loads of bodies back most of the time. Barnsley worried us all afternoon, but in truth didn't really threaten.

Actually we might have had more goals. When their keeper was out of his goal that was a blinding controlled long range hit from Taylor that the defender did well to stop, Taylor also missed a sitter, very un Taylor like, and Reeves had two successive corners, the first seemed to go in but the very iffy ref disallowed for something.

So for all the Barnsley huff and puff, slick interplay, strength and nous, the Charlton attitude prevailed over all that, and we still have enough in us to hurt any side, and hurt Barnsley we did. Feels good after that Coventry result that's for sure.

Clean sheet for Steer, and he played pretty well, had authority in the box and distributed well, nice save from their free kick too, Djiksteel was very good, he was strong, committed and he defended well especially at crucial moments. Nice to see Belik back, and Pearce and Solly were their usual very good selves.

In midfield Aribo was the Artful Dodger in the first half, picking Barnsley pockets all over the place, not as well sustained in the second half when he played deeper, but he was fine. Cullen was great actually, terrier like in his competitiveness at times, especially when needed in the second half. Reeves and Ward were OK but only in flashes. Fosu didn't really get much ball when introduced, but Lapslie gave his usual very good take for granted contribution.

Hard to be very critical of Taylor for that miss, because as usual he got better as the game went on, and his presence and leadership qualities up front are an essential part of this current team.

I have often criticised Karlan for not using his left foot, my advice has obviously filtered through for his first goal. As I sit here remembering I am not sure who played Karlan in, but it was a fantastic spot and pass, and Karlan had plenty of time to panic, but he didn't. Great opening goal.

Karlan's second, a scoop in, came almost exactly at the same time in the second half as his first goal and we had a cushion to build the rest of the game around. No way would we have sustained a 1-0 in my opinion.

I did not expect a win today, but it certainly feels great this evening.

Great summary, saved me a job.
  • Options
    Happy happy, joy joy…
  • Options

kellycafc said:

Pretty sure that goal from corner crossed the line

Pretty sure it didn't.
    On the line, not over it, I was in line.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

kellycafc said:

Pretty sure it didn't.
    I was right behind, centre of goal (ok not in line) and I didn't think it went in.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

Fair play to those Barnsley weets. Magnanimous in defeat.

Thought it was another fair game to be honest...

Some very nice Football from both sides in what wasnt a dirty game by any means
  • Options
    Bowyer got it bang on today. Well played sunny Jim
  • Options

hawksmoor said:

Fair play to those Barnsley weets. Magnanimous in defeat.

Thought it was another fair game to be honest...

Some very nice Football from both sides in what wasnt a dirty game by any means
    I thought both sides played some decent football - enjoyable game to watch. The ref tried to ruin it...
  • Options

kellycafc said:

Pretty sure it didn't.
    Funny what we all see. I too was in line and I would swear blind it was clearly over the line, not even close.
    I was in line and the ball was over the line.
  • Options
    Just got home. Excellent. It shows how much we missed Belik. (and Page and Bauer). Get these players back then we will def finish in play offs. I came in expecting a thrashing anf just like the "old" Charlton we always play well with the better teams. As for the goal. THAT ref ruled it and signalled with his back to indicate someone was backing in. The only thing I can think of was that it might have been Taylor. However, from I was sitting in the East Stand, nothing wrong with the goal. 3 Charlton players were running in. GK was stranded and yes the ball did cross the line from the corner, but nothing affected that goal. Tosser of a referee. In the 1st half kept putting his hand to his eyes as if to say "I can't see anything" (including the challenge on Grant. Was that a penalty, or FK outside the box? but yet in the 2nd half managed to see everything for Barnsley. And don't get me started on the yellow card for the booking for Solly for shirt pulling. That must have been the softest card I have ever seen, especially as the player concerned was totally unaffected and ran though with the ball. Solly has 2 players round him. Am I right in thinking Bow did not shake ref's hands. I thought he came out and probably shook hands with Barnsley manager and then went over to the home fans and ignore ref.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Magnificent from the first minute to the last . Everyone played well , but Anfernee is gonna be some player .
  • Options
    Best we have played all season, defence, midfield and attack all excellent! Well done Lee and the team. Now let's stuff the gobbinsons on Tuesday!!!
  • Options
    A word for Taylor if you are reading this mate. You looked really pissed of you didn't score the first one. You didn't do anything wrong. Yes GK was stranded but you did all you could by shooting straight at goal. Defender headed it clear. 2nd one you should have scored but we don't mind that. At least you were there to try and score. Just like the whole team you worked your socks off. and don't hide which is why we clapped you off. I love this team, the work rate, the hard work and the endeavour. Only downside is Sarr. I don't know if he is a basketball player and whilst I don't want to criticise him but he harldy tackles and worries me when he gets the ball. At times he looks like a statue or one of those training dummies. On another day he can have a wordly and run thorugh a team with the ball or put in a cross field pass to the right wing. Not complaining.
  • Options
    Awesome performance, Bielik added a lot to the back four, we lost our shape when he went off.
  • Options

kellycafc said:

Pretty sure it didn't.
    It 100% crossed the line (the 1st one that it is) but ref disallowed it and indicated with his back that there was foul with someone backing in).
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

I’m just gonna state the uncomfortable truth for some.

We are better at the back without Sarr.

*grabs popcorn, awaits abuse*

This is so plainly obvious to me. Sarr does one thing well- a left footed pass down the line. Otherwise he’s a liability and we are far far more solid when he isn’t there. I’d love to see the stats with and without him in his time with us
    I'm no fan of Sarr and don't disagree with anything you say but he's the fourth choice centre half at a league one club.