Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite seaside town in England.

Comments

• Options
    Scrappy and Scooby
  • Options
    Westbay
  • Options
    Lyme Regis in England, but Rhossili on the Gower Peninsular can't be beaten!
  • Options

Going to put in a shout for Torquay. Never really fell into the doldrums and shabbiness experienced by many traditional English seaside resorts. As good a Marina and harbour as any English seaside and still lots of very good hotels. Has experienced big investment over last five years and more in the pipeline. Not much sign of the Kiss Me Quick brigade but because of its size and broad appeal it has some late night issues during the high season. Still a nice place to visit though.

Agree about Torquay, great place .. but good hotels ? .. what about Fawlty Towers ?
    My advice is to avoid the hotels in Torquay they're like old people's homes. Far better off in a B&B there's plenty of them around, excellent value for money too.
  • Options

Going to put in a shout for Torquay. Never really fell into the doldrums and shabbiness experienced by many traditional English seaside resorts. As good a Marina and harbour as any English seaside and still lots of very good hotels. Has experienced big investment over last five years and more in the pipeline. Not much sign of the Kiss Me Quick brigade but because of its size and broad appeal it has some late night issues during the high season. Still a nice place to visit though.

Agree about Torquay, great place .. but good hotels ? .. what about Fawlty Towers ?
    My advice is to avoid the hotels in Torquay they're like old people's homes. Far better off in a B&B there's plenty of them around, excellent value for money too.
    I really like Torquay but it's a long old drive from here
  • Options
    My In Laws live at Westgate on Sea, over looking the beach. Lovely place, great beach, plenty of eateries at the short walk to Birchington.
    Stayed at their house last month for a week while they went on a cruise, between May and September you can only walk the dogs onto beach before 10am and after 6pm, went for an early walk one day and found a dead body (25-30 year old lad) washed up on the shoreline. However I am assured this is not a regular occurrence, the old bill turned up (loads of em) and they told me this is the first one for years.
    Margate is on the up as is Ramsgate, and another shout for Viking bay and Broadstairs.
    We are very lucky with our local coastlines in the UK.
  • Options
    Not England, but The Pembroke coastline is wonderful
    Cornwall without the London yuppies and prices.
  • Options
    I'm trying to make the most of visting our coastline. During the school holidays I'm taking the kids to a place near Rye, so will be visting a few place beaches I've not been to for years.

Watched the BBC program about our Coastline and realised so many great places I should go.

Was thinking of going to Blackpool, to see the lights but couldnt be bothered with the traveling so choose somewhere nearer. I loved worked in Sandwich, years ago. During the summer months visited a few great pubs and places I never knew exisited. Deal and Walmer and Kingsdown are definately worth a revisit for me.
    Josh bay and West Withering are standout places for me and on a good day can be better than anywhere else in the world, and I should know as I've been to a few.
  • Options

I really like Torquay but it's a long old drive from here
    Agree with this. There are loads of b&b and small hotels that are really very good.

• Options
    The beaches around Bude in North Cornwall are all stunning and nowhere near as crowded as further down the coast.

Also Minnis Bay in Kent, especially when the tide is out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And Saltburn in North Yorkshire.
  • Options
    IT_Andy said:

I'm trying to make the most of visting our coastline. During the school holidays I'm taking the kids to a place near Rye, so will be visting a few place beaches I've not been to for years.

Watched the BBC program about our Coastline and realised so many great places I should go.

Was thinking of going to Blackpool, to see the lights but couldnt be bothered with the traveling so choose somewhere nearer. I loved worked in Sandwich, years ago. During the summer months visited a few great pubs and places I never knew exisited. Deal and Walmer and Kingsdown are definately worth a revisit for me.
    Josh bay and West Withering are standout places for me and on a good day can be better than anywhere else in the world, and I should know as I've been to a few.

The last 2 seasons we've played Fleetwood in late September, so brilliant timing to spend a weekend in Blackpool and see the lights as well. Sadly this season's matches against Blackpool and Fleetwood are outside the Lights season
  • Options
    Robin Hoods Bay & Whitby are great also.
  • Options
    Save up your money for a holiday to Selsey Bill or Bracklesham Bay.
  • Options
    clive said:

Walmington-On-Sea

Especially the stretch of beach between Stones Amusement Arcade and The Novelty Rock Emporium.

• Options

A reference to the Jam?
  • Options

A reference to the Jam?
    Saturdays Kids.
  • Options

A reference to the Jam?
    Saturdays Kids.
    I know the song and the lyric - just surprised to see it on here!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    youngluke said:

Just spent the last 2 nights in Christchurch Dorset wow what a fantastic time we have had...stayed in a premier inn a bargain £69,50 for 2 adults 2 kids for both nights.Spent Sunday in Poole harbour which is absolutly stunning then yesterday we drove along the coast stopping off at Mudeford Quay,Highcliffe,Barton on sea,Milford on sea where we stopped for a delicious cream tea.All the way along this coast you have a wonderful view of the Isle of Wight and the Needles.We finished the day with a drive through the New Forest before stopping back at Mudeford for fish and chips out of the paper while watching the sunset over Christchurch Harbour....a truly magical couple of days and only 2 1/2 hours from home !!!!!

Were you watching the sunset yesterday at Mudeford Bay, taking a photo of a swan by the shore? If so, I was the other person there taking photos.
  • Options

youngluke said:

Just spent the last 2 nights in Christchurch Dorset wow what a fantastic time we have had...stayed in a premier inn a bargain £69,50 for 2 adults 2 kids for both nights.Spent Sunday in Poole harbour which is absolutly stunning then yesterday we drove along the coast stopping off at Mudeford Quay,Highcliffe,Barton on sea,Milford on sea where we stopped for a delicious cream tea.All the way along this coast you have a wonderful view of the Isle of Wight and the Needles.We finished the day with a drive through the New Forest before stopping back at Mudeford for fish and chips out of the paper while watching the sunset over Christchurch Harbour....a truly magical couple of days and only 2 1/2 hours from home !!!!!

Were you watching the sunset yesterday at Mudeford Bay, taking a photo of a swan by the shore? If so, I was the other person there taking photos.
    I was there too, taking my swan for a walk...

Christchurch was recently voted by residents to be one of the happiest places to live in the UK. Although if you read many comments in the local press you'd think they were living in the 1980's Bronx or something.
  • Options
    Portland
    Chisel beach is amazing
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Yes mate that was me and my boy
  • Options
    I was brought up in Bognor Regis so i would definitely have to say

Whitby
  • Options
    Durdle Door - Some great childhood memories from down there
  • Options
    youngluke said:

Yes mate that was me and my boy

And with your wife and daughter? Watching this scene? Bit of a coincidence if it was.
  • Options
    Went to West Bay yesterday. Clear deep blue sky and yellow cliffs. Stunning.

£2 to park all day and a great playground for the kids. Brilliant.
  • Options
    youngluke said:

Next time if you didn't on this occasion take in Lymington...a bit too many yachty types but a lovely place.
  • Options
    Porthleven in Cornwall is fantastic. A few character pubs overlooking the harbour, classy restaurants and an outdoor band play in the summer months. Not far from the Lizard and Lands End. Intend to move down there sometime in the future. Cheap flights back to London from Newquay airport too!