Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Not sure if this has already been discussed but how do vegans/veggies/meat-eaters feel about this?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45865403
  • Why wouldn't someone eat slaughter free meat? You can't lose.
  • "...grown in a lab from cells taken from a living animal". "This meat is not to be confused with the vegetarian plant-based burgers and other meat-substitute products which are gaining popularity in supermarkets. No, this is actual meat grown from animal cells"

Animal DNA. (What was / will be the fate of the animal(s) it came from?)
    The methods of production and the end product would be wholly unacceptable to me.
    I will stick to my plant-based diet. It has served me well for 20+ years and I wouldn't change it.

I’m with SHG.
    I’m no expert on DNA (so not sure if it’s possible) but are you actually saying you’d be against this if the production was possible from a method, harvesting moulted feathers from the bird in a natural environment and this resulted in a huge reduction in slaughter?
  • I certainly won’t be eating the results of a Petri dish lab experiment. Like Anna_Kissed I’ll be sticking with the vast array of vegetables, fruits, nuts, pulses and beans at my disposal.
  • I certainly won’t be eating the results of a Petri dish lab experiment. Like Anna_Kissed I’ll be sticking with the vast array of vegetables, fruits, nuts, pulses and beans at my disposal.

...most of which will have been cultivated and grown from lab experiments
  • edited October 2018

I certainly won’t be eating the results of a Petri dish lab experiment. Like Anna_Kissed I’ll be sticking with the vast array of vegetables, fruits, nuts, pulses and beans at my disposal.

Pretty certain apples, bananas, kidney beans, carrots, potatoes etc etc etc weren’t made in a laboratory. I could be wrong of course and I await being corrected.
  • edited October 2018

"...grown in a lab from cells taken from a living animal". "This meat is not to be confused with the vegetarian plant-based burgers and other meat-substitute products which are gaining popularity in supermarkets. No, this is actual meat grown from animal cells"

The methods of production and the end product would be wholly unacceptable to me.
    I will stick to my plant-based diet. It has served me well for 20+ years and I wouldn't change it.

Genuine question, what is the fate of all the animals your refer to if we stop eating meat?

Personally I am all for slaughter free meats. I mean surely that'd be insane for me as a pet lover and meat eater to feel guilty free.

I have been eating meat for 30 years and it has served me well and I wouldn't change it.

Unlike you, I would be willing to make a change that protects more animals providing it is no less healthy than meat in its current form.
  • Dazzler21 said:

"...grown in a lab from cells taken from a living animal". "This meat is not to be confused with the vegetarian plant-based burgers and other meat-substitute products which are gaining popularity in supermarkets. No, this is actual meat grown from animal cells"

Genuine question, what is the fate of all the animals your refer to if we stop eating meat?

Personally I am all for slaughter free meats. I mean surely that'd be insane for me as a pet lover and meat eater to feel guilty free.

I have been eating meat for 30 years and it has served me well and I wouldn't change it.

Unlike you, I would be willing to make a change that protects more animals providing it is no less healthy than meat in its current form.
    more leather bondage gear for everyone
  • Sponsored links:

Pretty certain apples, bananas, kidney beans, carrots, potatoes etc etc etc weren’t made in a laboratory. I could be wrong of course and I await being corrected.
    Think what Leroy was saying is that the vast improvements in vegetables and grain crops size, disease and drought resistance are all as a result of laboratory experiments.

Perhaps crops like bananas and others grown in far away lands are not so relevant but if you think your red pepper or muesli is as god created it you are mistaken.

Think what Leroy was saying is that the vast improvements in vegetables and grain crops size, disease and drought resistance are all as a result of laboratory experiments.

Perhaps crops like bananas and others grown in far away lands are not so relevant but if you think your red pepper or muesli is as god created it you are mistaken.

I’m an atheist so don’t believe a sky fairy created anything Shooters.

I’m an atheist so don’t believe a sky fairy created anything Shooters.

But you get my point ?

• I wonder if when humans started grafting fruit trees it was seen as a ‘petri dish’ experiment of its time.
  • Indeed I do. I best live on fresh air then, wouldn’t want to be seen as some sort of hypocrite in the eyes of those who obviously know best.
  • I have no problem with lab grown meat, so long as the relevant health authorities pass it. I'd prefer it to chlorine washed meat for example. If it eases the pressure on the world's resources and environment caused by animal farming, it's a good thing.

I can see why the vast majority of vegans or vegetarians for that matter won't be flocking back to meat because of this though.

Now to modify the fart gene from the earth's pulses!

Genuine question for the vegans, how do you feel about the Toksvig revelations? Has it tested your consumption?
  • Indeed I do. I best live on fresh air then, wouldn’t want to be seen as some sort of hypocrite in the eyes of those who obviously know best.

What an odd comment. It’s not my fault that science and technology has impacted the food that we consume along with everything else in our lives. I’m sure if you feel strongly enough you can eat only organic which might minimise the impact although I doubt that to be honest. Frankly I’m ambivalent to whatever you want to eat.

• edited October 2018
    I only drink Alpro Chocolate soy milk just to be ever so right on!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2018

I certainly won’t be eating the results of a Petri dish lab experiment. Like Anna_Kissed I’ll be sticking with the vast array of vegetables, fruits, nuts, pulses and beans at my disposal.

In fact, bananas are a perfect example of a laboratory made fruit. Whilst all strains of fruits and vegetables eaten today were to some extent 'created' by man by genetic manipulation and breeding specific strains for hardiness, the banana is a pretty apt example, since the banana that most people eat the most of (the Cavendish banana) was created in a lab in Britain nearly 200 years ago, and is in serious trouble due to the same disease that killed off the banana everyone uses to eat - (the Gros Michel). Scientists are now working frantically to develop new strains of banana in the lab that are resistant to Panama Wilt. So, in a very real sense, bananas are all descended from a lab experiment, have been genetically engineered over centuries for disease resistance and will be genetically hybridised in the next few years with DNA from other species to allow us to continue to enjoy eating them for many years to come.

So yeah. Lab grown.
  • As an (almost) omnivore I think I might struggle to eat lab meat. There's a certain something to it that doesn't appeal - at the moment.

Petri dish leather shoes, now they would represent a big step forward I think. Anyone making them is free to use that as their advertising slogan.
  • Petri dish leather shoes? Funny shape to get on your feet.
  • Wagamama have now opened a vegan restaurant at Heathrow airport.