Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alan Smith

Newcastle United's Alan Smith has joined League One Milton Keynes Dons on loan for the rest of the season.

Interesting move to 1 of our rivals. Surely too good to be playing at this level??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16780757.stm

Comments

• Never really rated him and can't see why MK feel he will add anything other than depth to their squad. Not concerned by this one bit in fact quite the reverse.
  • good signing for a League 1 club and although he has been out injured & not my favourite player I'm sure he should be playing at least Championship level.

Hopefully he will play well for them (except against us in 2 weeks time) and will help MK Dons to take points off our rivals.......
  • When did he last actually play? Seems like the forgotten man of football
  • When did he last actually play? Seems like the forgotten man of football
    There's always a reason.
  • wasnt he the guy the done Rufus ? when he was a Leeds player.
  • Yes, he was on the floor and got Rufus as he went past. Hateful piece of work.
  • Yep, that's the one. Wish nothing but ill fortune to him in a footballing sense.
  • An overrated n0bhead.
    Yep. Finished his career after stamping on his ankle. Didn't have much sympathy when he broke his leg for Man U.
  • I remember when we played leeds in the prem and both him and david batty surrounded john robinson after a hefty tackle. Smith & Batty were pushing robinson about until andy todd steamed in and went face to face with the both of them. Thought they were hard men until they met toddy!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2012
    Already a thread going on this! Started by Curb it she won't be happy!

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/45808/alan-smith
  • says he's not the kind who just stays and picks up his wages but i'm guessing that's exactly what he has been doing until his 60k per week contract is almost up
  • says he's not the kind who just stays and picks up his wages but i'm guessing that's exactly what he has been doing until his 60k per week contract is almost up
    That's what i thought. Only now playing on loan as his contract is nearly up.

Also one of the pictures on the BBC article is him lunging in with some ogre challenge, only thing he ever does.
  • Sorry I hadn't seen the other thread. How do I close this one??
  • Sorry I hadn't seen the other thread. How do I close this one??
    It's too late - you can't.

All you can do now is beg Curb_It for forgiveness and pray she's not had a few today and feeling vengeful.
  • Is this the duplicate name thread?
  • He will get sent off at least twice before his loan ends which will benefit us. Especially his challenges and the way tackles are dealt with now.
    That's what I remember him for, Goonerhater . Nasty piece of work in my book.
  • Retires aged 37.

Nobodies favourite player, but to be fair played at the very top. Achieved 19 England caps and played in Europe for Leeds United and Manchester United. Picked up some pretty horrific injuries, but soldiered on (against medical advice) just for the love of the game. He also played for Newcastle and turned out for M.K. Dons and Notts County as he dropped through the divisions from Championship to League 1 and League 2.
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember him and Bow as two nasty snarly ferral players!
  • Kap10 said:

Remember him and Bow as two nasty snarly ferral players!

Absolutely not to be compared.
    Bowyer is a legend
    Smith is a cnut
  • Kap10 said:

Bowyer is a legend
    Smith is a cnut
    Hmmm

Only cos Bowyer is ours. He was a horrible shitbag of a player too, tbf
  • Kap10 said:

Bowyer is a legend
    Smith is a cnut
    Hmmm

Only cos Bowyer is ours. He was a horrible shitbag of a player too, tbf
    With the possible exception of Rob Lee Bowyer was the best young player I have ever seen.
    If only our present bunch of players showed as much desire as he did we would not keep dropping points from winning positions like we have in our last 3 games.
  • I don't even remember starting this thread. Must've been pissed!
  • He scored in his home debut for Leeds against us. When he left for Man United he still looked about 14.

But reading between the lines many Leeds fans still feel very bitter about him.
  • Not suprised. There was (and I am sure is still) a big rivarly between the 2 clubs. Also remembering Cantona going from Leeds to Man U. There was a big rivarly there before. Leeds fans hated Man Itd fans. (yeah I know ost of the country hated Man Utd).
  • Further to my previous post,one of my most happy moments in football was when he was in a wall at united and the free kick broke his leg.joyous retribution
  • He scored in his home debut for Leeds against us. When he left for Man United he still looked about 14.

But reading between the lines many Leeds fans still feel very bitter about him.

He was sold to Man Utd for the same reason that Cantona was - because Leeds were in dire financial difficulty and Man Utd were the only club happy to pay everything up front.