Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• edited October 2018
    His garden was at the back of my grandparents' garden in Sutton Coldfield (though a couple over, not directly) when I was a kid. Used to see him walking around in the garden in his dressing gown.

Met him a few times as a result in the local newsagents, or out walking in Sutton Park.
    Came across as a very nice, normal bloke - always had time to answer my questions about football, and took my Grandad (a West Brom fan)'s jokey digs about Villa very well.

Good innings, 94. RIP.
  • Deadly Doug , named due to his sacking of managers who underperformed , he made 13 managerial appointments spread out over 35 years as Chairman in two spells
  • Deadly Doug , named due to his sacking of managers who underperformed , he made 13 managerial appointments spread out over 35 years as Chairman in two spells

We get 13 in 3.5 years now!
  • RIP Doug. It hasn't made sSky sports yet.
  • the first man to appoint a foreign/non British manager in the top division, Jozef Venglos.. a tough, self made man ..
    I hope he died happy after the new managerial appointments at his beloved Villa

R I P
  • Was Villa chairman up to 1979 and then returned in 1982.

During the gap Villa won the league and European cup.
  • I find it odd that Sky sports news have not reported this despite the appointment of a director of football, a new manager and an assistant at Aston Villa. Has the BBC got this wrong??
  • Rudders22 said:

I find it odd that Sky sports news have not reported this despite the appointment of a director of football, a new manager and an assistant at Aston Villa. Has the BBC got this wrong??

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/11523398/former-aston-villa-owner-sir-doug-ellis-dies-aged-94
  • Sponsored links:

• Used to enjoy the Greavesie and Ellis banter back in the day.
  • RIP. As noted above, his record of sacking managers seems positively gentle when compared with modern owners.