Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cover to Cover: The Housemartins v Rod Stewart & Jeff Beck

Since there is nothing to touch the Impressions/Curtis Mayfield original it had to be these two.

I suspect the more rock orientated version will be the preference of many, and Rod is a great singer, but do the Housemartins have more soul for what is a soul/gospel/civil rights classic?

Which one do you prefer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Ofr0IKiZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC_j_dzkaVE

Comments

• Rod Steward ? :smile:
  • It’s Rod all the way .
  • edited October 2018
    that is some proper cringe from 3.25 onwards. what a pair of numpties.

I could go against it solely for that but also I'm just not that keen on what they have done to the song so I'm going with the Housemartins.

• Housemartins
  • 2 - 2 at the moment
  • As you said the original is incomparable.
    Neither of these cuts it for me.
  • edited October 2018
    bobmunro said:

Rodney.

You mean Roderick!
  • Neither 0-0 draw.
    As an aside I saw Paul Heaton a few years ago and he can't remember lyrics, so sings with the lyrics on a stand in front of him.
  • Housemartins for me
  • Sponsored links:

• Neither 0-0 draw.
    As an aside I saw Paul Heaton a few years ago and he can't remember lyrics, so sings with the lyrics on a stand in front of him.

Does that matter?
    If the lyrics are good and you enjoy the voice
  • dont particularly like the song but Housemartins for me.
  • Neither 0-0 draw.

Does that matter?
    If the lyrics are good and you enjoy the voice
    Not really.
  • On the subject of Paul Heaton - I love the song 'You keep it all in' but have never understood the relevance of 'murder in '73, robbery in '63 bits - I was wondering only yesterday:) Anybody know?
  • On the subject of Paul Heaton - I love the song 'You keep it all in' but have never understood the relevance of 'murder in '73, robbery in '63 bits - I was wondering only yesterday:) Anybody know?

Lord Lucan
    Great train robbery

Robbery was the Great Train robbery and the murder was Lord Lucan with his nanny.
  • Err, Lucan was '74.

In Lord Lucan: My Husband, the Truth, the missing peer's widow Veronica, the Countess of Lucan, recalls the gory events of November 7, 1974, when her family's nanny Sandra Rivett was killed and her husband disappeared without a trace.
  • Actually that could be wrong re the murder as that was 74....its what i has been told...
  • Rod has a great voice and it's a classic song but they've made it so bland. Housemartins wins for me because at least they've tried to put a bit of soul into it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Neither all that thrilling, but Housemartins for attempting something and being less indulgent.
  • but what is the relevance?
  • Neither 0-0 draw.

Yep, a bore draw if ever there was one.
  • Housemartins

I hadn't realised they'd been performing in acapella style before Caravan of Love
  • Possibly and actually probably the most pointless thread ever on Charlton Life.
  • Love the housemartins. Grew up on London 0 Hull 4 literally the soundtrack to my childhood.
  • Rod Stewart. Emporers new clothes. Can’t stand him.
  • Both rubbish