Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

They Shall Not Grow Old - Film released 16 October

Limited release before the BBC show it on TV on 11 November.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Do1p1CWyc

Comments

• I have seen many 'colourised' documentaries before, but Jackson takes it to a different level, I cant wait to see it.
  • Greenie said:

I have seen many 'colourised' documentaries before, but Jackson takes it to a different level, I cant wait to see it.

agreed
  • Not a great fan of the colourising process but from the clips I've seen this is very impressive. Surprised it has such a limited cinema release.

Will be distributed to schools for showing.
  • As some one who's work dabbles in VFX it's mind blowing what jackson has achieved. Incredible that his teams have essentially created frames which has "smoothed" out the original footage's low frame rate to 25fps which looks smooth to the naked eye. Plus all the paint work to remove all the dust and damaged footage.

Can't wait to see it.
  • Where will this be shown locally. Anyone know ?
  • edited October 2018

Where will this be shown locally. Anyone know ?

on at most local cinemas including Greenwich picture house
  • Looks like a must watch.
  • Incredible.
  • I suppose that will always happen and is better than not trying to commemorate. The last scene of Blackadder made a lot of people think what it might have been like to go over the trench to your certain death.

But I can understand your point and this looks like it is really going to bring real people to life in a special way.
  • Sponsored links:

• We have our Armistice, 100 year ceremony at the Greenhithe & Swanscombe Royal British Legion, obvs 11/11, last post ceremony at 11:00 & 18:00.
    Cheap bar, All day entertainment and hot food available, in the evening after last post ceremony, we have an outside cinema screen with a short film on WW1, and other related topics. Fireworks and choir, as well as evening entertainment.

All welcome if your in your area
  • edited October 2018
    That will always happen. I do understand your point. Later war I know, Darkest Hour, the Churchill film was a great film in many ways but it failed to portray the support Attlee gave him against the appeasers in parliament. They were political enemies, but great allies during the war when the country needed them. In the film Attlee was only briefly portrayed and as Churchill's enemy. The first bit fair enough, the focus was on Churchill but the second bit disrespectful and untrue.

Then the people who came home from the war and the families who lost people rejected Churchill. Not Churchill the man, the great war leader he undoubtably was, but they wanted something better after making the ultimate sacrifices for their country. It is quite common for people nowadays to claim these people who lost loved ones and risked their lives were ungrateful. They insult them and that is why understanding the reality is important and why distorting it has dangers.

I am sorry for skipping to another war, but I think it makes the point you make. We should strive to understand, learn and respect.
  • That will always happen. I do understand your point. Later war I know, Darkest Hour, the Churchill film was a great film in many ways but it failed to portray the support Attlee gave him against the appeasers in parliament. They were political enemies, but great allies during the war when the country needed them. In the film Attlee was only briefly portrayed and as Churchill's enemy. The first bit fair enough, the focus was on Churchill but the second bit disrespectful.

Then the people who came home from the war and the families who lost people rejected Churchill. Not Churchill the man, the great war leader he undoubtably was, but they wanted something better after making the ultimate sacrifices for their country. It is quite common for people nowadays to claim these people who lost loved ones and risked their lives were ungrateful. They insult them and that is why understanding the reality is important and why distorting it has dangers.

I am sorry for skipping to another war, but I think it makes the point you make. We should strive to understand, learn and respect.

The two are connected.

Much of the mistrust of Churchill was because of Gallipoli yet Attlee, who was at Gallipoli had great respect for Churchill and Churchill for him
  • Amazing work by Peter Jackson to achieve those results...

I initially thought that the tanks was a modern day bit of filming rather than part of the restoration
  • Correct Ben and 100% relevant @MuttleyCAFC to bring in 1939/45 most wars are connected or a cause and effect of previous conflict, in the same way the shadow of the Franco-Prussian War and the 1912 Balkan Wars are so relevant to 1914-18.

This is a violent outbreak of agreement, not common on CL!
  • SE7toSG3 said:

Correct Ben and 100% relevant @MuttleyCAFC to bring in 1939/45 most wars are connected or a cause and effect of previous conflict, in the same way the shadow of the Franco-Prussian War and the 1912 Balkan Wars are so relevant to 1914-18.

This is a violent outbreak of agreement, not common on CL!

Ok hold my beer

Attlee was our greatest post war Prime Minister
  • Oh how you underestimate Gordon Brown.

Didn't he lose an eye at Arras?
  • Anyone know how long it is?
  • redman said:

Anyone know how long it is?

2.5 hours ( but think that includes q&a with Jackson as well
  • Sponsored links:

• Hoping this is on in Chelmsford. My dad would love it, he's massively into WW1 and we'd often go on holiday to Belgium and scour the woodland for bits and pieces. His house is like a museum.
  • I saw a bit with Jackson. It was interesting to hear that he had lip readers watch the films to figure out what was being said, and then had the dubbed into the soundtrack.

It really depends where you are. ;-)

It really depends where you are. ;-)
    Plenty of cinemas showing it on the 16th.
  • I saw a bit with Jackson. It was interesting to hear that he had lip readers watch the films to figure out what was being said, and then had the dubbed into the soundtrack.

Looks like a lot of effort went into it.
  • Jackson spent some time in Belgium and France just taking photos of the landscape in different weather conditions and different times of the day.

This was just to make sure he got the colours of the landscapes around the soldiers as accurate as possible.
  • Anyone else go tonight?
  • Unfortunately, could not get tickets at the cinemas near me. Fully booked. Will have t
  • Anyone else go tonight?

Going on Friday.

• Looks amazing.