Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Longlivethelocal

I just want you all to pay attention to a organization which is close to my heart..it's the pub lol

Why Cut Beer Tax???

The simple answer; British beer is overtaxed.

Beer Duty (tax) in Britain is three times the EU average. The government collects £3.5 billion every year in Beer Duty, as well as almost £10 billion in other taxes on pubs and brewers. Today one in every three pounds spent in pubs goes to the taxman.

Along with Business rates and VAT, Beer Duty is putting pubs under enormous pressure; every day pubs are closing their doors for good.

And it’s about to get worse.

The industry needs a cut in Beer Duty, but the government is planning an increase. Beer Duty is now linked to RPI and that means it’s likely that Beer Duty will increase by at least 3% at the next Budget and every year for the foreseeable future.

The last time Beer Duty increased year on year was between 2008 and 2013 when the government put a Beer Duty escalator in place. The impact on the beer and pub sector was catastrophic, within 5 years there was a 24% decline in beer sales, 5,000 pubs closed and 58,000 people lost their jobs.

So now we need to fight.

Our pubs are a British success story. They have been at the heart of British culture for generations and remain one of our most valuable assets. The pubs and brewing industries combined create jobs, encourage tourism, and most importantly provide a vital place for communities to gather.

Get signing!

https://www.longlivethelocal.pub/

Comments

• Signed.
  • Signed
  • DiscoCAFC said:

I just want you all to pay attention to a organization which is close to my heart..it's the pub lol

Why Cut Beer Tax???

Beer Duty (tax) in Britain is three times the EU average. The government collects £3.5 billion every year in Beer Duty, as well as almost £10 billion in other taxes on pubs and brewers. Today one in every three pounds spent in pubs goes to the taxman.

Along with Business rates and VAT, Beer Duty is putting pubs under enormous pressure; every day pubs are closing their doors for good.

The industry needs a cut in Beer Duty, but the government is planning an increase. Beer Duty is now linked to RPI and that means it’s likely that Beer Duty will increase by at least 3% at the next Budget and every year for the foreseeable future.

The last time Beer Duty increased year on year was between 2008 and 2013 when the government put a Beer Duty escalator in place. The impact on the beer and pub sector was catastrophic, within 5 years there was a 24% decline in beer sales, 5,000 pubs closed and 58,000 people lost their jobs.

So now we need to fight.

Our pubs are a British success story. They have been at the heart of British culture for generations and remain one of our most valuable assets. The pubs and brewing industries combined create jobs, encourage tourism, and most importantly provide a vital place for communities to gather.

Get signing!

The 2007 smoking ban was also accountable for the decline.
  • PopIcon said:

DiscoCAFC said:

Why Cut Beer Tax???

So now we need to fight.

Get signing!

What's the betting you're a smoker.
  • PopIcon said:

DiscoCAFC said:

Why Cut Beer Tax???

So now we need to fight.

Get signing!

Yeah I agree and it should've been up to the landlord to pursue this ban or not. My local pub has got it spot on with a smoking chalet outside with a heater and a TV.

As a Non-Smoker, I'm personally glad of the ban as the smoke gets right in my clothes and it stinks to high heaven...doesn't help if I ever chat a fit bird up lol
  • PopIcon said:

DiscoCAFC said:

Why Cut Beer Tax???

So now we need to fight.

Get signing!

What's the betting you're a smoker.
    I'll bet you £100 I'm not.
  • The smoking never affected me as a smoker I only started drinking in pubs after the ban was in affect, and I have never smoked indoors.
  • Sponsored links:

• In my opinion one of the biggest reasons for pub closures in cheap supermarket beer.
    A lot of people think why pay £4 in a pub when I can drink at home for less than a pound.
    Pretty sad socially as pubs should be a social thing whereas the encouragement is to stay at home and watch TV.
    Another factor is potential drinking and driving, and despite what I did in my youth is hard to disagree with.

Genuine question - how can supermarkets sell the beer so cheap? Is there a tax advantage, just buying power or just lack of need to cover overheads?

Signed the petition btw.
  • signed.

I guess they still get cheap drinks in all the government and city wards establishments.
  • redman said:

In my opinion one of the biggest reasons for pub closures in cheap supermarket beer.
    A lot of people think why pay £4 in a pub when I can drink at home for less than a pound.
    Pretty sad socially as pubs should be a social thing whereas the encouragement is to stay at home and watch TV.
    Another factor is potential drinking and driving, and despite what I did in my youth is hard to disagree with.

Genuine question - how can supermarkets sell the beer so cheap? Is there a tax advantage, just buying power or just lack of need to cover overheads?

Signed the petition btw.

It's almost like those in power don't want us to gather in a social environment and discuss things...
  • tax beer in supermarkets the same as beer in pubs is taxed, then bring the tax down on beers in pubs.
  • redman said:

In my opinion one of the biggest reasons for pub closures in cheap supermarket beer.

Signed the petition btw.

It is sad. Pubs have to become gastropubs to survive.

In terms of Supermarkets, I assume they don't make a lot of money on individual items but try to sell in high volumes and sometimes use as loss leaders!
  • edited October 2018
    in ireland there isnt a huge price difference between pubs and shops i think this is more to stop alcolism but you can get a pack of maybe 6 lagers for 12 euro around xmas over here you can get 60 bottles of bud for £20.00, me and my mates dont go to the pub as often as we used to a lot are now foody type places or full of wronguns.

also the chains do not help as wetherspoons business model is to mass buy barrels close to expiry knowing that they can shift them around all over the country - i personally dont mind a spoons - nearly every away day we end up in one.
    independants cannot survive because of the profit margins being shit i also think people expect too much, the oak in charlton has a perfect supply of beers ample choice but a couple of weeks back some bloke was moaning about the lack of proper beers
  • Signed and email to MP sent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Saga Lout said:

Signed and email to MP sent.

Likewise.

They are ****ed though and it saddens me.

They have had to contend with.....

The cost of a pint.
    The cost of supermarket alcohol.
    The PubCo being no more than a property owner (and willing to sell even busy pubs) as well as (I guess) expensive beer provider.
    The demand for housing from the Govt. and Councils (and thus the Councils encouraging Pubs being sold)
    Netflix and 'the boxset'
    Social Media
    Gym & current obsession with appearance
    Healthy Living being more prominent than ever
    The decline of the traditional working class man
    Society becoming more female orientated.
    The Smoking Ban.

Now even though some of these are obviously positive things, it's a shame the pub and our culture has been hit.
  • I question whether beer is particularly expensive in the UK. Whenever I am in USA or Europe, it seems to be dearer. It used to be a fraction of the UK price in much of Asia, it’s now getting to be similar. I think a pint for about £4 is ok. It’s the supermarkets that are churning it out cheap that are stealing the business.
  • Anyone who thinks the smoking ban has not been a huge factor in the surge of pubs closing is naive.

I remember people saying before the ban "I can't wait for the ban, it will mean I won't come home stinking of smoke" and similar things.

So the day after the ban I was expecting an influx of new, non-smoking drinkers into my local

And still am.

I genuinely think the country has turned a corner in regards smoking yet all the ban did was push smoking to a new level of anti-sociality. The morons who stand bang outside hospitals smoking. The arguments in pub gardens which are the exclusive domain of the smoker most of the year, when non smokers use them and complain, shock, horror, people are smoking outdoors.

I don't smoke myself however I miss the smell of pubs, that smell covered up a multitude of worse smells. And it was noticed immediately. The farting was first, then bodily odour. My mate who used to run the local booted people out for farting at the bar.