Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Price of newspapers

Had cause to see a copy of the Daily Mirror today. First time I’ve pucked up a newspaper of any sort for probably a couple of years. Was gobsmaked to see it cost 75p. How the printed newspaper survives amazes me.

Obviously this is the Australian edition.

Comments

• edited October 2018
    Seems like only yesterday the adverts were screaming "Only in your 20p Sun!".

I'm also amazed that printed newspapers survive. Why pay 75p for "news" that you could have had yesterday for nothing?
  • I confess my overspending .. I buy 'The Times' a couple of days a week .. Price ? .. £1.60 per copy .. like Nike, Mercedes, Hugo Boss etc. the name attracts a premium (still a good read though)
  • I confess my overspending .. I buy 'The Times' a couple of days a week .. Price ? .. £1.60 per copy .. like Nike, Mercedes, Hugo Boss etc. the name attracts a premium (still a good read though)

I sort of get buying a quality paper if you have at least an hour to spend to read it.

• My 84 year old father still buys a paper daily along with I'm sure many of the other older generation.
  • Other than the free papers Metro the (Sub) Standard etc to be read on trains, I can't believe that people actually still buy newspapers.
  • I buy the Sun on a Saturday.
    Great betting information in the pull out section.
  • edited October 2018
    Can't remember the last time I bought one despite purchasing one to read on the daily commute to town for the best part of 35 years.
  • I miss the Daily Sport. Used to look forward to buying it for my evening wank.

How's your eyesight mate, just wondering like :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• https://www.statista.com/statistics/288206/circulation-trend-of-the-sun-newspaper-uk/

I don't think printed press will survive much longer. The Sun remains the UK's best selling newspaper (putting aside the fact that it's full of lies, etc) and has lost almost exactly half of it's circulation since 2003. Presume the same applies to the other national papers.

Shocked at the price though. The Sunday tabloids were about 75p last time I bought a paper, dailys were way less than that.
  • You cant cut the Charlton reports out of an online version and put them in a scrapbook or keep them in a box :smiley:
  • I’m an engineer on the railway and ten years ago when a train came into the maintenance depot you could walk through and pick up any newspaper you want . There would be hundreds. Now , you are lucky if you find one or two .
  • Last time I bought a paper was on a Sunday before going to cricket a few years ago on an off chance. Prior to that it was every single newspaper after our play off final as I wanted to read up all the report and keep hold off the newspaper snippets as it will never happen again in my liftetime.
  • I used to do 4 paper rounds a day when I were a lad and the shop had several other kids doing similar amounts. We were everywhere. These days I hardly ever see a paper boy (or girl).
  • I’m an engineer on the railway and ten years ago when a train came into the maintenance depot you could walk through and pick up any newspaper you want . There would be hundreds. Now , you are lucky if you find one or two .

Similar for me. I worked in an NHS department and you could always find copies left laying around in the waiting rooms but before I retired it was far less in number.

• RedChaser said:

I miss the Daily Sport. Used to look forward to buying it for my evening wank.

How's your eyesight mate, just wondering like :wink:
    Not great Reds, not great.
  • Had no idea that newspapers cost so much now.
  • older people do grandad up until he passed 2 years ago would daily buy 2 papers its a bit like betting with bookies at horse/dog racing as opposed to on your phone you just cant beat it!.

the only papers i buy are the racing post when going to race meetings.
  • edited October 2018

I’m an engineer on the railway and ten years ago when a train came into the maintenance depot you could walk through and pick up any newspaper you want . There would be hundreds. Now , you are lucky if you find one or two .

What not even a Metro Beds or Evening Gooner? :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• The only paper I buy is the Sunday Times - bit of a ritual really.

I read the Racing Post everyday but don't have to buy it!!
  • RedChaser said:

I’m an engineer on the railway and ten years ago when a train came into the maintenance depot you could walk through and pick up any newspaper you want . There would be hundreds. Now , you are lucky if you find one or two .

What not even a Metro Beds or Evening Gooner? :wink:
    Plenty of those , yes but daily’s you pay for . No.
  • I think the market will flip in the next 18 months. Printed papers, such as the sun, mirror, mail and express will become free. The quality daily and possibly all the weekend editions will still cost.

All the related Web sites will fully be beind pay walls.

The only free news sites will be things like the BBC and the click bait add traps like local news papers.

It's a dangerous road, could we be talking about information poverty?
  • Printed newspapers are on the brink and will all disappear within the next couple of years.

(Or, so we have been told since the end of the last century).
  • The Metro is more than adequate for me and it's free.
  • Striker and Dear Deirdre are the only things worth reading in a newspaper
  • I buy the Times on Saturday, mainly for the Listener crossword.
  • a Newspaper was very useful on the train to guard your face from the person opposite coughing and sneezing! I no longer commute to London though!
  • That’s just reminded me to cancel the coal man