Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shooting in Greenwich

This morning. Police everywhere.

Comments

• Where in Greenwich? In the centre?
  • Greenwich side of creek bridge, by the school.
  • Depressing for the kids at St Alfege to see this shit. Very sad....

it's sad but entirely preventable - and that is the sad part

How? Serious question.
  • McBobbin said:

Depressing for the kids at St Alfege to see this shit. Very sad....

How? Serious question.
    (spoiler - it isn't)
    better parenting of kids, encouragement to be a good person
    more police on the streets tougher sanctions on those that show violent behaviour/indulge in ganglike activity.
  • McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

How? Serious question.
    (spoiler - it isn't)
    more police on the streets tougher sanctions on those that show violent behaviour/indulge in ganglike activity.
    Better parenting would most certainly help, but only if the parents aren't either absent, bloody useless, or both. There are also interventions that can help in the case of "sub optimal" parenting and children who, with he best parenting in the world, are little bastards.

Significant increase in investment in police I also like the sound of.

Yes, I'm prepared to pay more for both.
    the whole parenting thing i think is important its also worth pointing out that the blaming of solo mothers really fucks me off as my dad was non existent.

only if the police are allowed to do there job for example not being jumped in hackney mcdonalds while a load of ferrel shits video it and cheer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Perhaps every £1 seized by police from criminals should be reinvested into law enforcement and prisons
  • edited October 2018

McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

How? Serious question.
    (spoiler - it isn't)
    Better parenting would most certainly help, but only if the parents aren't either absent, bloody useless, or both. There are also interventions that can help in the case of "sub optimal" parenting and children who, with he best parenting in the world, are little bastards.

Significant increase in investment in police I also like the sound of.

Yes, I'm prepared to pay more for both.
    the whole parenting thing i think is important its also worth pointing out that the blaming of solo mothers really fucks me off as my dad was non existent.

only if the police are allowed to do there job for example not being jumped in hackney mcdonalds while a load of ferrel shits video it and cheer.
    or that Diane Abbott stirring up racial tensions when a black person is arrested
  • Chunes said:

McBobbin said:

How? Serious question.
    (spoiler - it isn't)
    tougher sanctions on those that show violent behaviour/indulge in ganglike activity.
    Someone holding a gun up, pointing it at someone and pulling the trigger really doesn't give a flying f--- about sentencing. It's not something you do having weighed up the consequences, pros and cons.

We can't cure the criminal mind by treating it as our own - logical, rational. If it was logical and rational it wouldn't be risking everything.

Tougher sentencing is just something politicians whack out to win elections and make people feel better.
    The victim is in his 20s I don’t think people are born with the instinct to shoot people unless a mental disorder, if you could turn the behaviour, for example carrying a knife no ifs or buts 15 years inside, then you maybe would not get the jump to guns.
  • Send the bastard's to Islington ----Jeza will sort em out
  • I read somewhere a suggestion that maybe those that are found with a gun or a knife have their family evicted from their council property (if in a council house of course).

May force parents to look after the little shits better
  • edited October 2018
    Dizzle said:

I read somewhere a suggestion that maybe those that are found with a gun or a knife have their family evicted from their council property (if in a council house of course).

There's always a moment in all of these threads where things go from suggestively unpleasant to outright insane. Allow me to gladly sound the klaxon
  • Dizzle said:

I read somewhere a suggestion that maybe those that are found with a gun or a knife have their family evicted from their council property (if in a council house of course).

Give this proposal some serious thought and quite quickly you seen it’s laughable bollocks.

create a group of homeless, resentful, knife wielding psychopaths. What could possibly go wrong?

In fact this is a great writing prompt for a dystopian london story. Thanks
  • Leuth said:

Dizzle said:

There's always a moment in all of these threads where things go from suggestively unpleasant to outright insane. Allow me to gladly sound the klaxon
    That's the problem - people rush to judgement without giving ideas a full evaluation of the pros and cons.

Fair enough - permission to sound the klaxon granted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Apologies, I didn’t quite express that it wasn’t a serious suggestion on my behalf. I know full well that would be ridiculous. What is the common end to a post that is meant to be considered tongue in cheek?
  • edited October 2018
    Dizzle said:

Apologies, I didn’t quite express that it wasn’t a serious suggestion on my behalf. I know full well that would be ridiculous. What is the common end to a post that is meant to be considered tongue in cheek?

"Hehe...let's see how this plays eh...not being funny (or am I lol!)"
  • Leuth said:

Dizzle said:

Apologies, I didn’t quite express that it wasn’t a serious suggestion on my behalf. I know full well that would be ridiculous. What is the common end to a post that is meant to be considered tongue in cheek?

Put that rod away sir
  • Dizzle said:

Leuth said:

Dizzle said:

Put that rod away sir
    Said the actress to the Bishop.
  • We could experiment with paramilitary death squads in selected wards/boroughs. Give it a year and then review how targeted executions impact on overall rates of criminality.
  • Didn't realise it happened on Old Pearson St - used to live on an adjacent road near James Wolfe Primary. Always been very quiet around there and pretty shocked to hear about this.

• Chunes said:

McBobbin said:

How? Serious question.
    (spoiler - it isn't)
    tougher sanctions on those that show violent behaviour/indulge in ganglike activity.
    Someone holding a gun up, pointing it at someone and pulling the trigger really doesn't give a flying f--- about sentencing. It's not something you do having weighed up the consequences, pros and cons.

We can't cure the criminal mind by treating it as our own - logical, rational. If it was logical and rational it wouldn't be risking everything.

Tougher sentencing is just something politicians whack out to win elections and make people feel better.
    The victim is in his 20s I don’t think people are born with the instinct to shoot people unless a mental disorder, if you could turn the behaviour, for example carrying a knife no ifs or buts 15 years inside, then you maybe would not get the jump to guns.
    But you just said people aren't born with the instinct to shoot unless they have a mental disorder, so by your own argument, what difference would tougher sentencing on knives make

Personally I think violent criminality is an environmental disorder, and I don't think knives are a gateway drug to guns. Sentencing only makes the public feel better but in the long run only creates a stronger criminal culture in those imprisoned. Look at how tough sentencing and rampant imprisonment has worked out for the US.
  • Chunes said:

Chunes said:

McBobbin said:

How? Serious question.
    (spoiler - it isn't)

But you just said people aren't born with the instinct to shoot unless they have a mental disorder, so by your own argument, what difference would tougher sentencing on knives make

Personally I think violent criminality is an environmental disorder, and I don't think knives are a gateway drug to guns. Sentencing only makes the public feel better but in the long run only creates a stronger criminal culture in those imprisoned. Look at how tough sentencing and rampant imprisonment has worked out for the US.
    That's why crime levels in the US are so low and there's next to no gun crime despite high levels of gun ownership.

If you don't do anything about the causes of crime you haven't got a hope in hell of reducing it. Punishment in itself won't fix the problem.
  • and I don't think knives are a gateway drug to guns</

I'm not so sure. Ask any wannabe gangster if they'd rather have a gun than a knife and I think I know what the answer will be. Even just for the bragging rights.
  • and I don't think knives are a gateway drug to guns</

I'm not so sure. Ask any wannabe gangster if they'd rather have a gun than a knife and I think I know what the answer will be. Even just for the bragging rights.</p>

What worries me is how many guns there are out there? I don't imagine it would be hard to get hold of one.

Seem to be fighting a losing battle against drugs and knife crime at present. Politicians from all backgrounds need to be working together more.